Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Polaris - When is the appropriate time to ask for gel pillow (now on seat), pad & PJ?

Polaris - When is the appropriate time to ask for gel pillow (now on seat), pad & PJ?

Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Question Polaris - When is the appropriate time to ask for gel pillow (now on seat), pad & PJ?

Obviously, one wants to ask for the gel pillow before they run out. However, I always feel awkward and not know when the best time is.

Before departure, they are busy serving the PDB, distributing menus, taking meal order and checking for stuff in the galley, not to mention all the people walking by. Then, after taking off, they start the drinks/nuts and meals.

The staffing level is obviously on the low side. So, no matter when you ask (before the meal service is done and they run out of the pillows), you are interrupting something. Some FAs are nice and efficient but others make you feel you are troubling them and forget...

Kind of crazy if one pays thousands of dollars for a seat and has to "beat the gel pillow rush" and "be prepared to eat a 2nd choice meal", etc. but I guess that is United
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by username
Obviously, one wants to ask for the gel pillow before they run out. However, I always feel awkward and not know when the best time is.

Before departure, they are busy serving the PDB, distributing menus, taking meal order and checking for stuff in the galley, not to mention all the people walking by. Then, after taking off, they start the drinks/nuts and meals.

The staffing level is obviously on the low side. So, no matter when you ask (before the meal service is done and they run out of the pillows), you are interrupting something. Some FAs are nice and efficient but others make you feel you are troubling them and forget...

Kind of crazy if one pays thousands of dollars for a seat and has to "beat the gel pillow rush" and "be prepared to eat a 2nd choice meal", etc. but I guess that is United
A subsequent question might be: After one has politely asked a FA for said items and not received them (presumably they are busy and have forgotten), how long is it appropriate to wait before asking again?
cruisr, vsevolod4, eng3 and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
However, I always feel awkward and not know when the best time is.
I ask during PDB. "When you get a moment, could you please bring me a gel pillow and a set of PJs?"

Originally Posted by east_west
A subsequent question might be: After one has politely asked a FA for said items and not received them (presumably they are busy and have forgotten), how long is it appropriate to wait before asking again?
Assuming I asked during the PDB service, I probably wouldn't ask again until the pre-dinner service; it's hard to imagine the FA hadn't "gotten a moment" in between.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: UA, CX, BR
I ask pre-departure but after most passengers have settled in. Usually there is a FA standing around at some point, and it's easy to go up to them and ask. Also, I guess then they can't "forget" though I started this procedure without really strategizing: it just seemed natural.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
I also ask during PDB along the lines of "when you get a chance could I get a gel pillow?". I've kept the slippers and PJ's and reuse them since I am sure they just throw them away after use anyway. I also still don't understand why all red eyes don't have the PJ's. I wore mine on DEN-LHR just this week and heard someone else ask for a pair, except mine were from a SFO-SNG flight last year.
Kannai and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I ask for PJs as soon as the FA stops to offer me a drink or take my coat. You snooze, you lose. I also want to have time to sneak into the lav and change before departure.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
During PDB or during meal orders is my preference, depending on the level of chaos in the cabin at this time.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
I'm not flying to be best friends with the FA's. I ask during PDB service or just ring my call button during boarding. Occasionally I get a grumpy face but I don't care and I always get the pillow, mattress pad, and PJs before anyone else.
Silver Fox and royng like this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: *
I have on occasion helped myself as you can figure which overhead bin they are stashed.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by ani90
I have on occasion helped myself as you can figure which overhead bin they are stashed.
I have done this lately too after striking out by asking nicely too many times.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
I ask during meal order. I only ask for PJ.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ani90
My wife tried that once with the pajamas and was stopped by the FA as that was the supply for the return but then the FA was gracious and immediately brought her the gel pillow, mattress pad and pajamas. That was just as we boarded as when my wife opened the bin above her seat to put her backpack she saw that it was full with pajamas and pillows and she could not fit the backpack.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt; AMEX Plat; Hertz
Related - I love the gel pillows and have long wanted to ask if I can take one with me. Never asked, however ... has anyone? What was the answer?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Related - I love the gel pillows and have long wanted to ask if I can take one with me. Never asked, however ... has anyone? What was the answer?
You are not supposed to take it. There is one for sale in the United Shop: https://unitedshop.summitmg.com/unitedshopr/product.asp?pf_id=UAL1353RA&dept_id=10000.
SFHokie, Dublin_rfk and jashsu like this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by GBadger
During PDB or during meal orders is my preference, depending on the level of chaos in the cabin at this time.
+1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.