Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Polaris - When is the appropriate time to ask for gel pillow (now on seat), pad & PJ?

Polaris - When is the appropriate time to ask for gel pillow (now on seat), pad & PJ?

Old Apr 1, 18, 1:45 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 9,971
Question Polaris - When is the appropriate time to ask for gel pillow (now on seat), pad & PJ?

Obviously, one wants to ask for the gel pillow before they run out. However, I always feel awkward and not know when the best time is.

Before departure, they are busy serving the PDB, distributing menus, taking meal order and checking for stuff in the galley, not to mention all the people walking by. Then, after taking off, they start the drinks/nuts and meals.

The staffing level is obviously on the low side. So, no matter when you ask (before the meal service is done and they run out of the pillows), you are interrupting something. Some FAs are nice and efficient but others make you feel you are troubling them and forget...

Kind of crazy if one pays thousands of dollars for a seat and has to "beat the gel pillow rush" and "be prepared to eat a 2nd choice meal", etc. but I guess that is United
username is offline  
Old Apr 1, 18, 1:54 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 350
Originally Posted by username View Post
Obviously, one wants to ask for the gel pillow before they run out. However, I always feel awkward and not know when the best time is.

Before departure, they are busy serving the PDB, distributing menus, taking meal order and checking for stuff in the galley, not to mention all the people walking by. Then, after taking off, they start the drinks/nuts and meals.

The staffing level is obviously on the low side. So, no matter when you ask (before the meal service is done and they run out of the pillows), you are interrupting something. Some FAs are nice and efficient but others make you feel you are troubling them and forget...

Kind of crazy if one pays thousands of dollars for a seat and has to "beat the gel pillow rush" and "be prepared to eat a 2nd choice meal", etc. but I guess that is United
A subsequent question might be: After one has politely asked a FA for said items and not received them (presumably they are busy and have forgotten), how long is it appropriate to wait before asking again?
cruisr, vsevolod4, eng3 and 5 others like this.
east_west is offline  
Old Apr 1, 18, 2:06 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 14,096
Originally Posted by username View Post
However, I always feel awkward and not know when the best time is.
I ask during PDB. "When you get a moment, could you please bring me a gel pillow and a set of PJs?"

Originally Posted by east_west View Post
A subsequent question might be: After one has politely asked a FA for said items and not received them (presumably they are busy and have forgotten), how long is it appropriate to wait before asking again?
Assuming I asked during the PDB service, I probably wouldn't ask again until the pre-dinner service; it's hard to imagine the FA hadn't "gotten a moment" in between.
jsloan is online now  
Old Apr 1, 18, 4:44 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Taiwan
Programs: UA, CX, BR
Posts: 718
I ask pre-departure but after most passengers have settled in. Usually there is a FA standing around at some point, and it's easy to go up to them and ask. Also, I guess then they can't "forget" though I started this procedure without really strategizing: it just seemed natural.
taipeipeter is offline  
Old Apr 1, 18, 5:54 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montrose, CO
Programs: United Gold MM, Marriott LTPP
Posts: 523
I also ask during PDB along the lines of "when you get a chance could I get a gel pillow?". I've kept the slippers and PJ's and reuse them since I am sure they just throw them away after use anyway. I also still don't understand why all red eyes don't have the PJ's. I wore mine on DEN-LHR just this week and heard someone else ask for a pair, except mine were from a SFO-SNG flight last year.
Kannai and Dublin_rfk like this.
AirMiles2001 is offline  
Old Apr 1, 18, 6:54 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NYC (Primarily EWR)
Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Posts: 7,824
I ask for PJs as soon as the FA stops to offer me a drink or take my coat. You snooze, you lose. I also want to have time to sneak into the lav and change before departure.
Mollyann500 and mikeyf like this.
PsiFighter37 is offline  
Old Apr 1, 18, 11:14 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: DEN
Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 7,117
During PDB or during meal orders is my preference, depending on the level of chaos in the cabin at this time.
GBadger is offline  
Old Apr 1, 18, 11:32 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DEN / CGK
Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,537
I'm not flying to be best friends with the FA's. I ask during PDB service or just ring my call button during boarding. Occasionally I get a grumpy face but I don't care and I always get the pillow, mattress pad, and PJs before anyone else.
Silver Fox likes this.
pushmyredbutton is online now  
Old Apr 1, 18, 11:55 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NYC, LON
Programs: *
Posts: 2,040
I have on occasion helped myself as you can figure which overhead bin they are stashed.
Silver Fox likes this.
ani90 is offline  
Old Apr 1, 18, 2:27 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Houston
Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Posts: 968
Originally Posted by ani90 View Post
I have on occasion helped myself as you can figure which overhead bin they are stashed.
I have done this lately too after striking out by asking nicely too many times.
Silver Fox likes this.
Collierkr is offline  
Old Apr 1, 18, 2:32 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Posts: 1,594
I ask during meal order. I only ask for PJ.
hirohito888 is offline  
Old Apr 1, 18, 2:34 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 3,468
Originally Posted by ani90 View Post
I have on occasion helped myself as you can figure which overhead bin they are stashed.
My wife tried that once with the pajamas and was stopped by the FA as that was the supply for the return but then the FA was gracious and immediately brought her the gel pillow, mattress pad and pajamas. That was just as we boarded as when my wife opened the bin above her seat to put her backpack she saw that it was full with pajamas and pillows and she could not fit the backpack.
StuckinITH is offline  
Old Apr 1, 18, 6:39 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Corvallis, Oregon, USA
Programs: UA GS; Hilton Lifetime Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Gold;AMEX Plat; Hertz Pres
Posts: 224
Related - I love the gel pillows and have long wanted to ask if I can take one with me. Never asked, however ... has anyone? What was the answer?
Oregonflyer is offline  
Old Apr 1, 18, 6:51 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,820
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer View Post
Related - I love the gel pillows and have long wanted to ask if I can take one with me. Never asked, however ... has anyone? What was the answer?
You are not supposed to take it. There is one for sale in the United Shop: https://unitedshop.summitmg.com/unitedshopr/product.asp?pf_id=UAL1353RA&dept_id=10000.
SFHokie, Dublin_rfk and jashsu like this.
fumje is offline  
Old Apr 1, 18, 9:37 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: IAD/DCA/FLL/MIA
Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, AA*EXP, Hyatt*Globalist
Posts: 10,991
Originally Posted by GBadger View Post
During PDB or during meal orders is my preference, depending on the level of chaos in the cabin at this time.
+1
UA_Flyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: