Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Polaris - When is the appropriate time to ask for gel pillow (now on seat), pad & PJ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Polaris - When is the appropriate time to ask for gel pillow (now on seat), pad & PJ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
So this does beg the question, if these are a benefit of Polaris why do UA not place them (slippers and gel pillows and PJs for the appropriate flights) at every seat just like the blanket, ear phones, non-gel pillows and padding? At the end of the flight they could then come through and collect the gel pillows if they are concerned people will take them. Many OALs come through at the end to take back the earphones so not unheard of for airlines to collect an item in J.

I would rather UA provided the gel pillow than the regular pillow for my flights (although do use the regular pillow to provide lumbar support on some seats).

I just received an ETC as there were no slippers for my most recent flight but think it would have been cheaper for UA if they ensured these were provisioned and provided to each passenger at the seat rather than asking the FAs during the boarding process. I do ask during the boarding process (PDB service) as in the past they have run out of the gel pillows.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
So this does beg the question, if these are a benefit of Polaris why do UA not place them (slippers and gel pillows and PJs for the appropriate flights) at every seat just like the blanket, ear phones, non-gel pillows and padding?
Probably same answer as many other questions for why airlines do what they do: cost.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by fumje
You are not supposed to take it. There is one for sale in the United Shop: https://unitedshop.summitmg.com/unit...&dept_id=10000.
I'm half tempted to buy these Ted playing cards. Hilarious.

https://unitedshop.summitmg.com/unit...&dept_id=12000
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
I wait until a quiet moment towards the end of boarding, and then go up to a crew member and say I would like to change into pyjamas, and request the whole caboodle. Linking the request to changing now implies I need it immediately, and works well for me. If the weather outside is such that I wouldn't want to be in pyjamas in an emergency, then I wait until end of boarding and say "change after takeoff"...
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I always call ahead and have them put a note in my PNR to lay them on my seat. That way they will never run out before I ask and if I decide I don’t want them, I can always give them back.
yestravel and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by schley
I always call ahead and have them put a note in my PNR to lay them on my seat. That way they will never run out before I ask and if I decide I don’t want them, I can always give them back.
Does that work for the slippers and gel pillow? Or just for the slippers?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by fumje
You are not supposed to take it. There is one for sale in the United Shop: https://unitedshop.summitmg.com/unit...&dept_id=10000.
I travel with the small Saks pillow (from a FFG event) and after several questions about having it I had my UA account number embroidered on the cover.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Any time is appropriate. Unless you happen to sit at a seat where can see the pillows and monitor the inventory, I'd ask as early as possible, if you actually want to receive the pillow. PDB or Putting in your meal order. If you ask during the meal, it can be a little hectic (but I suppose the same could be said about during boarding). The earliest "quiet time" for the FA is after the meal, but by then you risk all the pillows being given out. As for the PJs and mattress pad, I don't think there is any urgency though I just ask for everything at once generally.

I never thought of that. Wouldnt the GA have to actually have some reason to open up your PNR to even notice the note?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
This really works? Because it's hard to believe ; )
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond
When to ask for a gel pillow, Never again. The last two times I requested one there was a nasty odor to it. The last time the worst, combination of days old sweat that must have spawned mildew. Absolutely horrible. Take a deep smell of it next time.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by username
Obviously, one wants to ask for the gel pillow before they run out. However, I always feel awkward and not know when the best time is.

Before departure, they are busy serving the PDB, distributing menus, taking meal order and checking for stuff in the galley, not to mention all the people walking by. Then, after taking off, they start the drinks/nuts and meals.

The staffing level is obviously on the low side. So, no matter when you ask (before the meal service is done and they run out of the pillows), you are interrupting something. Some FAs are nice and efficient but others make you feel you are troubling them and forget...

Kind of crazy if one pays thousands of dollars for a seat and has to "beat the gel pillow rush" and "be prepared to eat a 2nd choice meal", etc. but I guess that is United
When an FA approached for greeting, asking for PDB, giving out menus/newspaper.

That's their job. We just have to ask nicely.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:36 pm

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
I typically ask nicely during either the PDB or the menu selection, whichever comes first. I've also gone to the galley and asked. The key seems to be the tone of the request, rather than the time. What I've found tends to happen is that once someone requests them, then the land rush starts. I suspect that's what infuriates the f/as since there aren't enough provisioned.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CO DCA
I typically ask nicely during either the PDB or the menu selection, whichever comes first. I've also gone to the galley and asked. The key seems to be the tone of the request, rather than the time. What I've found tends to happen is that once someone requests them, then the land rush starts. I suspect that's what infuriates the f/as since there aren't enough provisioned.
I’be found that most FAs have the attention span of a flea and any request that can’t be immediately fulfilled never happens. Yes, I know they’re busy. So I’ve found no good answer other than to ask over and over and over and over.

Last edited by milepig; Apr 2, 2018 at 6:30 pm
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
When an FA approached for greeting, asking for PDB, giving out menus/newspaper.
When is the last time you flew UA? You do know that UA does not give newspapers?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
When is the last time you flew UA? You do know that UA does not give newspapers?
Sure they do, just not on the airplane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.