Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LAX-HNL 772 Downgraded to 739 from Sep-4 through Dec-18

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2018, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

The morning LAX-HNL has been a 777 for years but appears to be replaced by a 737 in September through mid December... eliminating wide body service from LAX to Hawaii. Seems odd to cut the cargo capacity on this route. Could this be a glitch?

Last edited by OGGLAX; Mar 31, 2018 at 5:39 pm
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by OGGLAX
The morning LAX-HNL has been a 777 for years but appears to be replaced by a 737 in September through mid December. Seems odd to eliminate the cargo capacity on this route. Could this be a glitch?
Various models of 737 are used going to Hawaii, at various times. Not really news.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Various models of 737 are used going to Hawaii, at various times. Not really news.
although it’s s negative for those in F expecting lie-flat and positive for coach passengers who may or may not know the former plane is 10-across.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
If they've taken the 772 off the schedule completely, that would be a significant change.

But unfortunately not surprising. SFO/LAX-HNL has been one downgrade after another the past five years (acknowledging the addition of lie-flats on the 772A as one improvement).
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by OGGLAX
The morning LAX-HNL has been a 777 for years but appears to be replaced by a 737 in September through mid December. Seems odd to eliminate the cargo capacity on this route. Could this be a glitch?
For those in Y, a 738 is an improvement over the UA 77HD slave ship. With seats that are .6" narrower than on a 737, narrower aisles, and the 4 middle seats having only three places for feet, the 77HD is to be avoided.

But UA's service to Hawaii has lost all of its special quality post Smisik. Just flew to LIH, and other than the flight being 6 hours (and blankets in E+), we just as well might have been flying to Little Rock. OALs are eating UA's lunch on the Hawaii routes, and downgages is the natural response.

P.s. and UA's pricing is also wonky, sort of like they have not adjusted to how damaged their brand now is. UA wanted $1100 RT, so I booked my parrents on HA for less (and they got FC on the way home). We held off booking, and 45 days before we left, UA dropped its pricing to the $600 range (when HA/AS was $800+). Yet on one of the highest impact travel days (right before easter) plane had 30 seats showing before take-off and it was a feast for the non-revs...
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by spin88
UA's pricing is also wonky
They definitely charge a premium from SFO (unless there's a fare war running). I attributed that to their market power here. LAX is much more competitive.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
AA will operate 6x/day (all 321) through September, and then down to 4x/day (all 321) over the winter. DL will reduce its LAX-HNL frequency to 3x/day (763/753/753) in September. Outside of the 2-week Christmas/New Year period, DL's 4th nonstop will not return, so the reduction is presumably permanent. Meanwhile, UA will resume 5x/day on a mix of 753/739 during the winter. The Mainland-Hawaii market is oversaturated, but UA is still the leader among the US3 so it can still exercise some pricing power (but not much). The loss of widebody and lie-flats on a 5-hour leisure-heavy route is unimportant. Nonrevs are the only loser, IMO.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

although it’s s negative for those in F expecting lie-flat and positive for coach passengers who may or may not know the former plane is 10-across.
I disagree. I just flew in the 3-4-3 777. It was fine. If I were 50 pounds heavier I wouldn't like it, but it is fine, in my judgment, for anyone non-obese.

Narrowbodied 3-3 planes are the worst for coach passengers. You can't move around.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Does the 777HD have wifi? The 737s don't. Not over water.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Does the 777HD have wifi? The 737s don't. Not over water.
Yes they have sat WiFi. The 777 appears to be on the schedule for certain weeks in November.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dilanesp
I disagree. I just flew in the 3-4-3 777. It was fine. If I were 50 pounds heavier I wouldn't like it, but it is fine, in my judgment, for anyone non-obese.

Narrowbodied 3-3 planes are the worst for coach passengers. You can't move around.
The seats are narrower, the aisle narrower, ratio of lavs to passengers is downright obscene. The only good thing is the 40% aisle seats vs 33% on single isle. On the other hand, 40% of the seats are middle seats vs 33% on the single aisle. At least United’s found one customer who prefers the 777 in coach...They’ll be contacting you to get your endorsement 🙂
Old Mar 31, 2018, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
The loss of widebody and lie-flats on a 5-hour leisure-heavy route is unimportant.
Maybe for some. If I'm paying for F on this route (which I do since upgrades have become nearly impossible) I'm picking an aircraft with lie-flats. Flew DL last time.
MatthewLAX and UTex09 like this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I’m tired of hearing the 777HD is worse than a 737 in Y! I’ve been on the 777HD over 50 times, its 100% better than the 737, 8, or 9. More room to walk around, easier access to the lavs during service and a better chance of an empty seat. The seat width is only an issue if you have a heavier person next to you. Just flew back to back 777HD for 4 hours and a 738 for an hour, couldn’t wait to get off the 738. The tablet holders are awesome!!
And of course much better in First!
chermorg likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by dilanesp

Did you actually fly UA‘s 77G ? Or any other airlines 777 that are 3-4-3 ? i am 5"9 and 150 lbs, am i obese ? As i found UA‘s 77G even in E+ are extremely narrow, the extra legroom did not help at all, i felt extremely uncomfortable even on a 4 hours ORD-SFO, i didnt feel that way on NH‘s 3-4-3 77W or AA‘s 77W (non MCE)
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Maybe for some. If I'm paying for F on this route (which I do since upgrades have become nearly impossible) I'm picking an aircraft with lie-flats. Flew DL last time.
Same here. Whenever there are lie flats I purchase the F seat (772 and 752); with recliner seats I just roll the dice with upgrades. With such few upgrades showing I figured most folks do the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.