Wiki Posts
Search

unbelievably rude gate agent in DIA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Nothing I read was hostile - she didn't want a phone shoved in her face - twice.

This expectation that United is like the Four Seasons is odd.
You missed my earlier post that the phone was no where near her face? It was not shoved in her face in the slightest.

Originally Posted by zrs70
When I worked as a ticket agent (summer college job in 1989), I remember how passengers would approach the podium before I was ready for them. In a way, their radar wasn't on. (Sometimes I was still processing the previous passenger). I always preferred passengers who waited a few steps away until they were called. Mind you, it didn't change how I interacted with them (I hope).

Perhaps in this case, the OP's approach was like the passenger whose radar wasn't on?

In my current work, very well intentioned people show me photos or emails all the time on their phones. Again,l their radars aren't always on. I would much rather they explain what they want to do before just putting a screen before my face. It gets intrusive.
My radar was on. I waited in line until she finished with the prior person and looked up at me. I stepped up and said "Hi. Will you please add me to the standby list?" and showed her my boarding pass in my phone. Went down from there.

I have been an elite on United about 25 years and have interacted with thousands of great employees. Never had an experience anywhere near this.

Originally Posted by onthesam

PS why no MP no. in itinerary to start with?
It was 100% there. I had already gotten an elite upgrade on the flight that I was scheduled on!

Originally Posted by garykung
I actually felt for the GA, not OP.

OP is a 2MM. I am not sure the circumstance in term of OP's travel. However, locating in a hub, OP could go to the CS counters or use a kiosk for standby.

Per my experience, when GAs have to work with a pax's reservation, GAs will usually either ask for the paper BP from the pax or print one out as a reminder. GAs always avoid phones because of the technical difficulties (for 1 example - locked screen). GAs will not even touch your phone when you board the flight by using the Mobile BP.

Because there are too many gaps in OP's story. I believe that OP may be the one escalating the issue improperly.

I express no opinion whether OP/GA has a bad attitude.
I tried to register for standby at the kiosk and it did not present that particular flight as an option. It gave me other flights but not that one. I did try that first.

I did not try to hand my phone to the GA, just used it to show her my boarding pass. {A}t no time was it "shoved in her face". I showed it to her the same way I've showed it to other agents who had no problem obtaining my details and putting me on standby.

What are the gaps in my story?

And BTW, thank you to those of you who provided advice and support. It is greatly appreciated!

Originally Posted by CleUnited
with respect, I prefer a photo ID rather than phones as they are a lot less expensive to replace. (coming from a "you break it, you buy it" mentality) but i do offer apologies on behalf of coworkers if she was being that rude. (and knowing which ones work when, i do have a slight idea of who it may be but will not digress into that) we're not all bad people, but we do tend to have some rotten angst that shows itself from time to time...myself, I like to try to lighten the mood with a really bad joke or pun during stressful encounters, but it does not always work... I do hope things went better after the initial encounter and maybe one day we can make you laugh about it in retrospect...
Thank you! I fly in and out of Denver regularly and overall the folks there are great. Every other United employee I encountered today was courteous and I appreciate your post and all that you and your colleagues do for us.
BadgerBoi, Silver Fox and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 28, 2018 at 7:03 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member; discuss the issues, not the poster{s}
Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Although I have never been snapped at about offering a phone, I have noticed that overwhelming majority of agents do seem to prefer an ID document or some other non-electronic reference. Typically they just ask for something other than the phone, rather than making a point about not liking the phone. It seems understandable, as phone displays can be quite varied.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fumje
Although I have never been snapped at about offering a phone, I have noticed that overwhelming majority of agents do seem to prefer an ID document or some other non-electronic reference. Typically they just ask for something other than the phone, rather than making a point about not liking the phone. It seems understandable, as phone displays can be quite varied.
After this, I'll definitely get a paper BP as the kiosk if I want to standby and can't arrange it at the kiosk. :-)
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by threeoh
Sounds like you worked for some great employers!
Speaking as someone who has worked for service industry businesses spanning the spectrum of management styles and corporate cultures, IME it's much better working for employers who actually have standards for their employees.
DenverBrian, Silver Fox and 747FC like this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:19 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Although I'm not going to weigh in on the OP's situation, I have found this thread interesting and educational. It had never occurred to me that (a) a gate agent would prefer me not to show them info on a phone, or (b) they'd have good reasons for it. But several posters on this thread gave good reasons -- phones are dirty, fonts vary, risk of damage/liability, lock screens, etc. Honestly, I'd never thought past the point of "I'm used to showing them my boarding pass... now it's on my phone, so I'll show them my phone". So now I'll avoid showing gate agents (or hotel checkin clerks, or whatever) things on my phone.

Any day I learn something is a good day...
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by cjermain
Everyone who is saying that it is difficult or inconvenient to look at a phone, fine. But that's not any sort of defense for swatting at someone's hand (what if the phone went flying and broke?) and saying "I don't look at phones". Any normal person would simply say, "I'm sorry, it's difficult to read your information on a phone. Can you give me your last name and flight number?" Being polite and explaining things is not that difficult. And I just can't believe anyone who is defending the agent would be so understanding if someone swatted at their hand.
-------
But did she really (swat the hand) ?? or was it just an exaggeration on the OP's part ? Can't tell you how many times passengers have (YES) literally shoved their phone very, very close to my face. It's extremely jarring, annoying and unnecessary. Just give me your MP number or your confirmation number - all eight (eye roll x 1000) letters/digits of it - how difficult is that ? Maybe just write it down somewhere just in case you lose your phone or drop it in a toilet or off the Empire State Building. Furthermore, telling someone you have xx millions of miles means nothing until the agent looks at your MP Account or your PNR. If the dialogue/body language went down as the passenger is saying then the agent certainly should have had self-control and just questioned him without any mention of not looking at phones.

Last edited by FlyingNone; Mar 28, 2018 at 9:26 pm
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Rude gate agent? United? Nah, never I tell you! I think it becomes news if you encounter a nice gate agent. Don't know why UA hires the lowest bidder.
mikesyr18 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by JNelson113
I tried to register for standby at the kiosk and it did not present that particular flight as an option. It gave me other flights but not that one. I did try that first.
Have you tried a GA at the CS Counter before going to the gate?

Also - how late have you requested standby?

I did not try to hand my phone to the GA, just used it to show her my boarding pass. {A}t no time was it "shoved in her face". I showed it to her the same way I've showed it to other agents who had no problem obtaining my details and putting me on standby.
Just because you think you are nice does not mean others feel you are nice.

What are the gaps in my story?
For starter - Route?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
It is curious to me that as a community of flyers, many here are quite skeptical of their brethren. It escapes me why some assume that the OP stuck a phone in the agent's face or committed some other offense. Why?

I've just completed an international trip on non-UA metal, and while none of the four checkin agents swatted my phone away, most just asked for identification in order to process the checkin. In every case, the agents printed out boarding passes for us. It seemed to be standard practice (across two airlines) and a hint that the airlines don't like phone-based BPs.

Over the years, I've had gate agents handle my phone to scan the BP or direct me to place the phone on the scanner. No biggie. In no case did anyone ever act rudely and say "I don't touch phones."

OP, I am glad your are reporting this rude employee. Every system needs feedback in order to operate effectively.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
"I don't look at phones." LOL - I love it. Your job involves the use of electronic boarding passes. Don't like it? You don't have to work there. If I were their manager I would've ripped right into them.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Nothing I read was hostile - she didn't want a phone shoved in her face - twice.

This expectation that United is like the Four Seasons is odd.
This is mind blowing logic you have here. The gate agent is on the job... The flyer isn't. The GA needs to how to talk to a customer if you're working face to face with them or go visit a therapist.

I also highly doubt the OP shoved their phone in the lady's face as no reasonable person would do that.
JNelson113 likes this.

Last edited by mikesyr18; Mar 29, 2018 at 5:36 am
Old Mar 29, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
I think everyone can have a bad day. And staring at cell phones all day long in your job can hurt you, see below. I always get a paper BP for exactly this reason, even if I am using my phone BP. IRROPS happen.

16 Damaging Side Effects Of Your Smartphone Addiction
Old Mar 29, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by boerne
I think everyone can have a bad day. And staring at cell phones all day long in your job can hurt you, see below. I always get a paper BP for exactly this reason, even if I am using my phone BP. IRROPS happen.

If you read the article, most of these don't apply in this situation:

Sleep (shouldn't be sleeping on the job at DIA unfortunately),
Text Claw (the GA would be looking at a phone, not texting on a passenger's phone),
Indirect Injuries (a GA shouldn't be helping a passenger get on standby and be driving at the same time)
Eyesight (applies if a GA is looking at a phone nonstop for more than 20 minutes...and suggests a 20 second break: Seeing how a GA interacts with people, this threshold should be easily surpassed)
Hearing (GA is not talking on the OP's phone....just looking at it)
Radiation (No data to back up this claim)...

I could go on and on.

That being said, I've handed my phone to just about every LAX agent that works on the Premier side in T7 and in the Kisoks between T7/T8. None of them have EVER had an issue simply looking at a phone to get a confirmation number. Nor would I expect them to. Come on, its 2018. Don't tell me you have 'problems with cell phones' and then reach into your pocket and start texting on yours.

Bad day or not, you don't take it out on your customers. I deal with some commerical aerospace contracts, when I have a bad day, I go home. Or I get drinks after work. Can you imagine if I took it out on a customer during a meeting? I'd probably be fired on the spot.

Last edited by laxmillenial; Mar 29, 2018 at 6:27 am Reason: spelling
Old Mar 29, 2018, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingNone
-------
But did she really (swat the hand) ?? or was it just an exaggeration on the OP's part ? Can't tell you how many times passengers have (YES) literally shoved their phone very, very close to my face. It's extremely jarring, annoying and unnecessary. Just give me your MP number or your confirmation number - all eight (eye roll x 1000) letters/digits of it - how difficult is that ? Maybe just write it down somewhere just in case you lose your phone or drop it in a toilet or off the Empire State Building. Furthermore, telling someone you have xx millions of miles means nothing until the agent looks at your MP Account or your PNR. If the dialogue/body language went down as the passenger is saying then the agent certainly should have had self-control and just questioned him without any mention of not looking at phones.
She literally swatted my hand. I extended my hand holding my phone to be right next to her computer monitor (to her left) because other agents have then looked from my phone to the monitor and she literally swatted my hand away. She touched my hand.

Originally Posted by garykung
Have you tried a GA at the CS Counter before going to the gate?

Also - how late have you requested standby?

Just because you think you are nice does not mean others feel you are nice.

For starter - Route?
Why would I go to the CS counter instead of the gate? Isn't the gate where you request to be put on standby if you can't get the kiosk to put you on the list? I've requested standby at the gate at least 100 times, always without issue until yesterday.

I requested standby as soon as the gate opened. About 45-60 minutes before the flight. I was sitting there waiting for an agent.

You can think I was not nice all you like. I don't see how saying "hi, will you please put me on the standby list?" and showing a phone would qualify as that, but whatever.

Route DEN-IAH, flight 1819.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 29, 2018 at 11:29 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 29, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
In my time as a GA, the only time I declined a cell phone is when passengers wanted us to talk to someone on them. Even then, if it was someone who has language issues or older, or pretty young, I would. Moreso I would decline to speak on the phone from the people who felt I had to talk to someone since I wouldn't do what they commanded.

That being said, otherwise, there is nothing wrong for a GA to look at a phone. Even if she'd rather not, there is a much nicer way to go about it.

By all means complain about that agent and send in that video. I guarantee it's not the first time for them. IF she is union, firing people like that is almost impossible without proof, but if you have a video of her acting way out of line, it would help. If it's an isolated incident for her, then I'm sure at the least it would be a mark on her personnel file.
DenverBrian and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by boerne

Yeah, that's right, make excuses for the GA's poor behavior. Your argument pertains to people who stare at their phones for 30 minutes at a time... Not someone who stares at it for 10-15 seconds.

Last edited by mikesyr18; Mar 29, 2018 at 7:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.