need 30k quick PQMs

Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

need 30k quick PQMs

Hey flyer talk community. Can you help? I was graciously granted a status match by UA (from AA) and I need to score 35K PQMs over the next few months. I don't believe my work travels won't get me all the way there, does the community have any ideas for how to score PQMs as cost effectively as possible? 25K or more? ideally out of DEN for a departure point? THANK YOU for your advice! I really appreciate it.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Check out the MR forum or play with Google flights.

flights to sin, pek, etc can be found pretty cheap, even if you need to position out of sfo, lax, ewr, etc.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: MP
You might want to ask this question in the Mileage Run sub-forum. They can give you all kinds of crazy ideas on routes to take.
gcm4795 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gcm4795
need 30k quick PQMs .... I was graciously granted a status match by UA (from AA) and I need to score 35K PQMs over the next few months. I don't believe my work travels won't get me all the way there, does the community have any ideas for how to score PQMs as cost effectively as possible? 25K or more? ....
If you don't mind, why did you take on a challenge when you have so little planned travel? You will not be able to try again for another 5 years,
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
A round-trip to Singapore can net you around 20K for US$500, as long as you're OK with the misery of back-to-back ultra-long-hauls in economy.
gcm4795 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Fly to RT Melbourne or Sydney in Business Class. Nice flights. Beautiful destinations.
gcm4795 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gcm4795
Hey flyer talk community. Can you help? I was graciously granted a status match by UA (from AA) and I need to score 35K PQMs over the next few months. I don't believe my work travels won't get me all the way there, does the community have any ideas for how to score PQMs as cost effectively as possible? 25K or more? ideally out of DEN for a departure point? THANK YOU for your advice! I really appreciate it.
are you looking for the cheapest way, or the quickest way?

Quickest would be business class to almost anywhere in Europe or Asia (double check your mileage earnings with partner airlines before booking the ticket if you arent on UA metal)

cheapest out of DEN seems to be 2x trips to China. Air Canada has flights to PVG and PEK for around $500 over the next month or so. You would also need a Chinese visa.
gcm4795 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If you don't mind, why did you take on a challenge when you have so little planned travel? You will not be able to try again for another 5 years,
+1. When I did my status match to UA Platinum I knew I had two work trips planned to Asia during that period.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
+1. When I did my status match to UA Platinum I knew I had two work trips planned to Asia during that period.
OOPS, thought StuckinITH was the OP.
You were matched to Platinum, so according to the Wiki the threshold you need to hit is 18,000 PQM's, 2 asian RT's from SFO should have you easily at 20,000 PQM's

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...on-etc-9.html#

Last edited by jhayes_1780; Mar 28, 2018 at 11:52 am
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Perhaps I'm missing something, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to manufacture 30k PQM to meet a 35k challenge . . . if you can't come close to meeting a challenge organically, you're not likely to benefit from the status.

The easy way to do this would be a single round trip ultra long haul business class, e.g., SFO-SIN, EWR-HKG, or a long connecting itinerary in J (over 7500 miles each way). If you intend to fly Y, it's going to take at least two of those.
elCheapoDeluxe likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by walkerci
Fly to RT Melbourne or Sydney in Business Class
If OP (and myself for that matter) can/could afford this OP probably wouldn't be seeking to get to Gold in the first place.
BThumme likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
2 asian RT's from SFO should have you easily at 20,000 PQM's
SFO-SIN-SFO is close to 17K by itself (more depending on routing). If you can route SFO-HKG through SIN, you'd get over 20K on that one trip.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
You were matched to Platinum, so according to the Wiki the threshold you need to hit is 18,000 PQM's, 2 asian RT's from SFO should have you easily at 20,000 PQM's

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...on-etc-9.html#
You are right, but when I did request the status match/challenge I was BA Gold which is equivalent to One World Emerald which is equivalent to AA Executive Platinum. So, I was hoping that I would get an offer for UA 1K as other people seemed to get. And the OP got it too. Obviously, I was not so lucky..... By my accounting, as I was shooting for 1K, I needed to know that I had those two planned trips to Asia before applying for the status match/challenge. So, a trip to PEK in Business gave me 27816 PQM, short of the 35000. And a trip to PVG in Economy gave me 16112 PQM.

What I was trying to say is that I would not have started the status match/ challenge process if I did not have the flights lined up to meet the requirement.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Mar 28, 2018 at 10:05 am
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
SFO-SIN-SFO is close to 17K by itself (more depending on routing). If you can route SFO-HKG through SIN, you'd get over 20K on that one trip.
Does UA fly HKG-SIN? I vaguely remember a restriction for status matches that state that only UA metal counts.

Edit: Found it on the status match website:

"8. Valid on flights operated by United and United Express. Not valid on United-marketed codeshare flights operated by other carriers. Flights must be posted to the MileagePlus account in order to qualify. MileagePlus award travel does not qualify for this offer. Basic Economy tickets do not qualify for this offer. Class-of-service bonus Premier qualifying miles (PQM) and Premier qualifying segments (PQS) will count toward this offer; however, other bonus PQM/PQS, promotional PQM/PQS, and/or credit card PQM do not count toward this offer. Other restrictions may apply. Offer subject to change without notice."

Although it is vaguely worded, one could also take this to mean that Premier benefits are only valid on UA/UA express during the match period.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:04 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by david_oz
Cheapest out of DEN seems to be 2x trips to China. Air Canada has flights to PVG and PEK for around $500 over the next month or so. You would also need a Chinese visa.
Challenge PQMs must be on UA/UX operated flights

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.