Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

May 2018 Mile Play promo -- targeted book/travel X trips by 13 May, get Y miles, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

May 2018 Mile Play promo -- targeted book/travel X trips by 13 May, get Y miles, ....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
I think my buy-ups to P mixed in with GPUs are making them give me great offers that I just can't make work, both now and the last one.

130,000 miles for 2 premium cabin trips over $2,000.

The T&Cs state "only the originally ticketed fare class will be considered for qualification of offer requirements." We are only allowed to buy in economy, so my buy-up wouldn't count (which I think is stupid, but whatever). Furthermore, the $2k has to be on United metal, which again is an issue since I can't get to BKK or ALA on United only. So even if I forced travel to try to get those tantalizing 130,000 miles, it just ain't gonna happen.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by big V
I think my buy-ups to P mixed in with GPUs are making them give me great offers that I just can't make work, both now and the last one.

The T&Cs state "only the originally ticketed fare class will be considered for qualification of offer requirements." We are only allowed to buy in economy, so my buy-up wouldn't count (which I think is stupid, but whatever). Furthermore, the $2k has to be on United metal, which again is an issue since I can't get to BKK or ALA on United only. So even if I forced travel to try to get those tantalizing 130,000 miles, it just ain't gonna happen.
Assuming 1.5cpm valuation, that's a tad under $2k worth of miles. I assume domestic first counts as "premium cabin" in this case? You could probably do 2x domestic TCON (IAD-LAX is ~$1100) for that and get it done pretty easily over two weekends.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:05 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Polytonic
... You could probably do 2x domestic TCON (IAD-LAX is ~$1100) for that and get it done pretty easily over two weekends.
But each trip needs to be >$2,000
Originally Posted by big V
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
But each trip needs to be >$2,000
Ah, I misread. I thought that meant 2 premium cabin trips at $2k total. My mistake!
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
No love for me.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K
No offer here, as always.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1k
My May offer was 56,000 miles for 1 (!) trip with a $1,700 fare; that seemed pretty good ...

Of course it came just days after I'd booked a UA trip to Asia in early April and on another *A to Europe at the end of the month. :-(

Is there any way to get them to apply it to an already booked trip? (The rules are pretty clear on that, so I expect no)
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Mil Miler, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, National Exec. Elite, Hertz Prez Circle
Mine is 4 trips (minimum of $450 each) by May 13th for 5,400 miles. Common....really? Only 5400 miles for spending 450*4 = $1850?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by surram
Mine is 4 trips (minimum of $450 each) by May 13th for 5,400 miles. Common....really? Only 5400 miles for spending 450*4 = $1850?
My Mrs. got a similar offer, except it was 2X premium fares (minimum $700 each) for 5,000 RDM's. No gracias.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...and of course the $ amount is the PQD amount, not the after-tax amount. So, the actual money spent can be a lot more.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm 0'fer on at least the last three promos. A little surprising b/c my UA spend has dropped pretty significantly this year. You'd think their algorithm would pick that up.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just hope this is not like the IHG promos where the more you qualify, the harder the next one gets. With them, I can afford to not stay for a few offers and get easier offers. With UA, I can't.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: united
I think part of what is going on here is that the dollarization of FF miles have made the programs far less valuable for economy class fliers. So UA is using this to encourage those folks, who in the past might have been swayed to make a trip to get some miles, to do some impulse travel.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:38 am

How do mixed class itineraries work? I have a short-haul intra-Asia hop in Y on a partner airline followed by a TPAC in C on UA all on the same PNR - putting the TPAC on a separate PNR and buying the short haul leg increases the fare meaningfully. The most punitive reading of the T&Cs suggests that all legs have to be on UA and all in biz/first fare classes. Does anyone have experience with the previous iteration of the promo?

My offer is 2 trips at $1.6k each for 29k miles.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by abcx
How do mixed class itineraries work? I have a short-haul intra-Asia hop in Y on a partner airline followed by a TPAC in C on UA all on the same PNR - putting the TPAC on a separate PNR and buying the short haul leg increases the fare meaningfully. The most punitive reading of the T&Cs suggests that all legs have to be on UA and all in biz/first fare classes. Does anyone have experience with the previous iteration of the promo?
In the last iteration, I had a trip booked all in A. I was rerouted on the return (due to IRROPS) into Y on AA. Needless to say, it didn't count for MP. I called to get ORC, and they manually posted my original flights, but into Y. Still didn't qualify for MP. So I called back and they changed the posted flights from Y to A, then I got the MP credit. I would say you definitely need all UA metal, all segments in A, C or F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.