Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New and extensive survey from UA about F&B at the United Clubs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New and extensive survey from UA about F&B at the United Clubs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I agree, the questions did not seem very refined, and I wonder whether they will properly interpret the answers. At least I think I made it clear I did strongly prefer LH and Centurion lounges.

By the way, as long as it was, you can leave and return to your place. Also, I got several fill in boxes. I think one regarding my last trip was “why didn’t you visit the United Club?” (Because the F&B are not very good so I went to the LH lounge.) It may depend on how you answer the questions.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
There are some exceptions but the INTL carriers lounges are really not that much better! All the hype on here just to be let down.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Long is an understatement for this survey.

Whoever designed this survey probably have no idea of surveys are conducted with the minds of frequent business travelers.

The list of questions is longer than the stuff I fill out at the doctor’s office.
iluv2fly, goodeats21 and mrt88 like this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I agree with the comments about the odd questions in the survey. I wanted to be able to answer "Does not apply" to questions about take out food, bringing in food, burgers, etc.

But I thought it was odd they wanted comparisons to other *A lounges. It asked to think about the *A lounge you're most familiar with other than UA. For me, it's the LH Senator's Lounges, and IMO there isn't even a comparison. LH is less crowded, better food, better drinks, more comfortable, etc. I think the purpose of the survey was likely to justify changes to service (cost savings), but I have a hard time finding how they'll use survey responses to justify that if most people made the comparisons I did. Then I thought maybe the comparison was to eliminate UA clubs in airports where there are other *A lounges...
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
United Club at LHR should be the standard for US United Clubs.

Originally Posted by mrt88
My thoughts exactly... Last one I was at was the GFL at LHR which is actually great but totally not standard ha! The UC at Newark I don't even get the water, it sometimes tastes like moss (that's an airport thing though)...
If the US based United Clubs delivered the same level of food, drink, and service as at LHR, it would be worth buying a membership at current prices.
Artpen100, mrt88 and chermorg like this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by walkerci
If the US based United Clubs delivered the same level of food, drink, and service as at LHR, it would be worth buying a membership at current prices.
I 100% agree. Funny though, LHR club is run by a contractor.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mike2003242
There are some exceptions but the INTL carriers lounges are really not that much better! All the hype on here just to be let down.
ofcourse it varies. I'd say most if not all INTL carries lounges are better. Very few are the same or worse. Maybe half are a little better and the other half I've visited are much much much better.

Originally Posted by chermorg
I was waiting for the "free comment" box... but there wasn't one.

I hope they don't interpret my "dissatisfied" with the hot food options as saying they should remove them as an "enhancement". I want more options, not less.
Reminds me the uncomfortable staff meetings we have at my company where we hear the managers interpret the employee survey results. They manage to turn every negative into a positive.

I didn't get this survey though
Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Huh? It is stocked like a high end bar....
But none of it is free (unless I missed something) except at the lone Polaris lounge. I don't drink bud, box wine or generic so the free stuff is worthless to me.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
But none of it is free (unless I missed something) except at the lone Polaris lounge. I don't drink bud, box wine or generic so the free stuff is worthless to me.
My opinion, the club is already pricey, seems like raising the price for higher end liquor or food just wouldn't be worth it - I find the free wines (they aren't in a box) to be fine
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by warrenw
I 100% agree. Funny though, LHR club is run by a contractor.
All United Clubs are now run by Sodexo as the sole service partner, globally, across 50+ locations. They announced this in 2016, I believe, and have transitioned clubs one by one. LHR was the first to use them in 2014 and proved a roaring success, which gave them the edge on the global contract. Truth be told they are better under Sodexo, but in true UA style are wildly inconsistent ... LHR remains the jewel, with NRT, HKG, and the new LAX, SAN, and ORD clubs offering permanent new food/beverage close behind.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I took the survey as well and it took quite a long time. I appreciated the detailed survey.

However, I was concerned with some of the verbiage in the survey. It seemed to indicate that UA was looking for rationale to charge for better food/service at UCs.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greenpau
Truth be told they are better under Sodexo, but in true UA style are wildly inconsistent ... LHR remains the jewel, with NRT, HKG, and the new LAX, SAN, and ORD clubs offering permanent new food/beverage close behind.
Concur, but I don't think I'd use the term "jewel" unless you mean costume jewelry.

Originally Posted by mh3265a
However, I was concerned with some of the verbiage in the survey. It seemed to indicate that UA was looking for rationale to charge for better food/service at UCs.
I'd be fine with paid food/bev so long as the prices are reasonable and the product offerings are good. AA lounges (which admittedly I haven't visited for a while) offer some healthy food items that are as good or better than airport takeaway.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
I'd be fine with paid food/bev so long as the prices are reasonable and the product offerings are good. AA lounges (which admittedly I haven't visited for a while) offer some healthy food items that are as good or better than airport takeaway.
To me this turns into a bit of a slippery slope. I can justify expensing the club membership on the intangible/difficult to truly quantify ground of increased productivity while in transit [not to mention my general increased happiness/decreased stress with traveling for work] and the very tangible/easily quantified reduction in my F&B spend while enroute. I see the club benefit as an all-in arrangement.

If they start ala-carte-ing food and beverage to any significant extent ($2 for a coke, $5 for a cheese plate, etc.) the club looses a great deal of its appeal and justification--and then I, perhaps pessimistically, see it as only a matter of time before other core offerings go ala-carte (want WiFi? That will be $3 for 4 hours. Need travel assistance? $20, please)

Maybe I'm paranoid but UA seems to be in the "cut cut cut mode" again and the experience is (re)starting to suffer.
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
If they start ala-carte-ing food and beverage to any significant extent ($2 for a coke, $5 for a cheese plate, etc.) the club looses a great deal of its appeal and justification--and then I, perhaps pessimistically, see it as only a matter of time before other core offerings go ala-carte (want WiFi? That will be $3 for 4 hours. Need travel assistance? $20, please)

Maybe I'm paranoid but UA seems to be in the "cut cut cut mode" again and the experience is (re)starting to suffer.
You have good reason to be paranoid. I did not intend to suggest UA should charge for the crap snacks that are currently offered, but rather to add premium items for sale. If everything goes to a la carte then honestly there is no reason for me to visit the club as I'd rather just sit at an airport bar. But as it stands now I have to leave the club to get a solid meal, which is a big minus (and why Polaris is so great at ORD).
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Concur, but I don't think I'd use the term "jewel" unless you mean costume jewelry.
Thanks ... I needed that . Fair point, let's not get carried away ... I was envisioning the Claire's range or a handmade brooch from Etsy ... not Swarovski.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.