UA DEN-NRT in Y...are slippers provided?

Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:56 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by flaii
I find that quite impressive! You know, I had been following this thread and was wondering "does any carrier provide slippers in Y?" Then I saw some people mention Asian airlines, etc. and figured that it was still a stretch to expect UA to provide slippers. But then I read this following trip report on Delta Y service DTW-NRT, and not only was I impressed that slippers were provided, I was also impressed by the printed menu (which even lists slippers as one of the amenities!), comfort kit, and midflight hot snack + ice cream. Oh, and shrimp cocktail vs. our grain salad

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/del...us-a350-coach/
Unlike United, Delta knows it is in actual competition with OALs. Where there is a lot not to like about Delta (including doing BE fares internationally), they have made a real effort to roughly match the Asian airlines in Y food/drink/amenities.

At this point I think (because they are 33-34" pitch and don't have any ultra tight configurations) that JAL/OZ/KAL are the best overall carriers to Asia. I would take DL (in C+) any day over ANA on the 3-4-3 77W or the 787. And I would take DL in C+ over SQ/CX in Y.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Got off UA143 less than 24h ago Brutal...longest 12h of my life.

Had an aisle in middle 3. Seat was uncomfortable. Not a fan leather seats. Gets hot and sticky.

1st meal served as soon as the plane got to curising altitude. 2nd (aka last meal) served 1.5h prior to landing. Thats about an 8h gap of no additional food in between the meals!

o ya....only a think blanket and pillow provided.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by seks

Had an aisle in middle 3. Seat was uncomfortable. Not a fan leather seats. Gets hot and sticky.

1st meal served as soon as the plane got to curising altitude. 2nd (aka last meal) served 1.5h prior to landing. Thats about an 8h gap of no additional food in between the meals!

Lucky for you that you were not on a ORD-HKG flight that is near 16 hours. Were you at least in an Economy + seat? Some FTers had advised you to bring snack food to tide you over for those 8 hours with no food.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by spin88
Unlike United, Delta knows it is in actual competition with OALs. Where there is a lot not to like about Delta (including doing BE fares internationally), they have made a real effort to roughly match the Asian airlines in Y food/drink/amenities.

At this point I think (because they are 33-34" pitch and don't have any ultra tight configurations) that JAL/OZ/KAL are the best overall carriers to Asia. I would take DL (in C+) any day over ANA on the 3-4-3 77W or the 787. And I would take DL in C+ over SQ/CX in Y.
Yeah, now that I've switched loyalty to UA, I have a whole new appreciation for JL's SKY WIDER seats in Y. I've always wondered why JL was only 4 stars on Skytrax, while NH was 5 stars.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I remeber SQ provided a small amenty zipper kit in Y with tooth brush, eyeshade and socks.

I know it sounds odd but SQ provides no amenty kits in J, although the quality of items given out in J are of much higher quality than the items in the Y amenity kit.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Lucky for you that you were not on a ORD-HKG flight that is near 16 hours. Were you at least in an Economy + seat? Some FTers had advised you to bring snack food to tide you over for those 8 hours with no food.
Or the LAX-SIN run at 17h55 ......

Re original topic: I did get slippers on every single of some 25 J-flights since the launch of the Polaris soft product.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Wearing my Polaris slippers at home right now. Got a couple of extra pairs in the closet beside my Fairmont Hotel slippers.....LOL !!
Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seks

Had an aisle in middle 3. Seat was uncomfortable.
Not a fan leather seats. Gets hot and sticky.

This is a problem with the slimline seats, but another is that they're not 'sticky' enough. The fabric seats offer enough friction to hold your butt in place while you recline and attempt to sleep, so that your back can remain supported, but the new seats let you slip forward and then you wind up in an awkward position for deep sleep.

I don't mind the slimlines for shorter (awake) flights, but they are terrible for long international ones when sleeping is important.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Or the LAX-SIN run at 17h55 ......

Re original topic: I did get slippers on every single of some 25 J-flights since the launch of the Polaris soft product.
Originally Posted by KDS777
Wearing my Polaris slippers at home right now. Got a couple of extra pairs in the closet beside my Fairmont Hotel slippers.....LOL !!
Good that this thread is reminding me to bring two pairs of slippers on my next TATL trip that is in Economy. It's coming in May.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 6:31 am

I flew with China Eastern from LAX to PVG two days ago in Y and saw two people ask, and receive, slippers from the FA. However, it looked like they were given the slippers somewhat discreetly, from what I guess to ensure all of economy starting to ask for slippers too.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Yeah that's the trick.

Ask quietly and not in front of the other J pax (hard to do I know, but it's possible).............and you'll always get a pair. They DO NOT have enough for the entire J cabin FWIW I have been told.

Key is to board early in group 1 and ask before you sit down if possible, or at the first drink order.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by GBobon
I flew THY in Y IST-SFO/LAX-IST last year in August I didnt see anyone getting slippers, did you ask the CC for?
TK gave out amenity kit in Y, the slippers are inside the amenity kit
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
TK gave out amenity kit in Y, the slippers are inside the amenity kit
folded in half, IIRC.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by JMBResona
Yeah, now that I've switched loyalty to UA, I have a whole new appreciation for JL's SKY WIDER seats in Y. I've always wondered why JL was only 4 stars on Skytrax, while NH was 5 stars.
Have you flown much on JL‘s Y no matter long haul and intra-asia ? For long haul, first meal is nice but second meal has no choice, last time i flew ORD-NRT, the second meal was Chicago dog as the meal, can you believe that ? NH always has two choices for second meal and never has hot dog as a meal, even intra asia JL NRT-HKG has no choice for meal in Y, you take it or leave it, NH once again has two choices. So can you see here why NH is 5 stars but JL is only 4 stars ? Btw, JL sky wider seats are a copycat of NH, NH was the first to have 2-4-3 on the 77W for more than 5 years ago before JL come up with sky wider in 3-4-2.

Originally Posted by TPJ
Only in C, I believe...
Well you believe wrong, do you know that TK gives out amenity kit in Y, and their amenity kit rivals other airlines C amenity kits ?

For a while when they were giving out tins (yes those long rectangle metal tins exactly like UA ‘s amenity kit tins with different hubs then major international cities given out in C), slippers handed out separately, now the slippers actually folded in half inside the amenity kits

Originally Posted by laxmillenial

NRT-BKK: No as of Nov 2017
BKK-HND: No as of Nov 2017

Havent flown the last one so I can’t speak for or against.
No need to prove, I can tell you NH has no slipper in Y no matter now or the past 20 years, and no matter long haul or intra asia, same with JL

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 1, 2018 at 4:59 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
No need to prove, I can tell you NH has no slipper in Y no matter now or the past 20 years, and no matter long haul or intra asia, same with JL
Well, I thought maybe I was missing something
I'm a pretty young flyer compared to most, just started 2ish years ago while finishing up college, so I thought maybe things had changed in NH while I wasn't looking!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.