Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Confirmed miles + points upgrades on BOS-EZE?

Old Mar 23, 18, 7:21 am
Original Poster

I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge on this, I tend to fly United domestically and just purchase the cabin I'm looking to fly in, so I don't know if this exists.

I am looking to fly BOS-EZE, ideally through EWR on the Polaris EWR-EZE flight this summer. I typically do this route through JFK on AA, buying economy, and then using EF to find out which JFK-EZE flights have confirmable upgrades for $300+25k miles each way, calling AA, paying for the upgrade, very straightforward.

Does United have something similar, where I can find out which days/flights I could purchase a confirmed upgrade from an economy ticket? If so, can I find that info on EF, and lastly, what does it cost if it exists?
Old Mar 23, 18, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dpakman91 View Post
I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge on this, I tend to fly United domestically and just purchase the cabin I'm looking to fly in, so I don't know if this exists.

I am looking to fly BOS-EZE, ideally through EWR on the Polaris EWR-EZE flight this summer. I typically do this route through JFK on AA, buying economy, and then using EF to find out which JFK-EZE flights have confirmable upgrades for $300+25k miles each way, calling AA, paying for the upgrade, very straightforward.

Does United have something similar, where I can find out which days/flights I could purchase a confirmed upgrade from an economy ticket? If so, can I find that info on EF, and lastly, what does it cost if it exists?
On the United website, if you set your account as Expert Mode in your profile, you can see in the details of the flights all the fares available. But you have to look for the individual flight EWR-EZE for the day you want to fly and days around it. If you see R>0, you should be able to upgrade after purchasing the ticket. You don't have to call, you can do it directly on the website. Price of upgrade depends on the fare you paid: it's 25k miles but the copay varies between $300 to $500 depending on the fare. In the United website, look at the MileagePlus Upgrade Award Chart.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Mar 23, 18 at 7:56 am
Old Mar 23, 18, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.75MM
1. Yes. You need to turn on Expert Mode, then search flights on a segment-by-segment basis (i.e. search for EWR-EZE only, as BOS-EWR will almost always clear and I presume you wouldn't mind 30 mins in Y followed by a redeye in J). R>0 -> a miles+copay UG or GPU would clear.

2. No. R space is no longer available on EF.

3. 25k miles+$500 for S fare or lower, 25k+$475 for W, 25k+$425 for V, 25k+$375 for H/Q, 25k+$300 for M/E/U, 25k+$0 for B, 15k+$0 for Y.
Old Mar 23, 18, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sfo789 View Post
1. Yes. You need to turn on Expert Mode, then search flights on a segment-by-segment basis (i.e. search for EWR-EZE only, as BOS-EWR will almost always clear and I presume you wouldn't mind 30 mins in Y followed by a redeye in J). R>0 -> a miles+copay UG or GPU would clear.

2. No. R space is no longer available on EF.

3. 25k miles+$500 for S fare or lower, 25k+$475 for W, 25k+$425 for V, 25k+$375 for H/Q, 25k+$300 for M/E/U, 25k+$0 for B, 15k+$0 for Y.
thank you! is it sometimes less expensive in TOTAL to buy a more expensive economy fair to reduce the upgrade price, or typically your next cost is lower by buying the cheapest economy fair available? or is it YMMV and it depends?
Old Mar 23, 18, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.75MM
thank you! is it sometimes less expensive in TOTAL to buy a more expensive economy fair to reduce the upgrade price, or typically your next cost is lower by buying the cheapest economy fair available? or is it YMMV and it depends?
99% of the time, buying the cheapest Y fare and paying a greater copay is preferable. For example, if you're >2 weeks out (that's the AP requirement on the fares I see) and inventory permits, you should be able to snag a K, and the difference between K and W will be far more than $25. Generally copays are designed to decrease less quickly than fares increase, so you're always best off buying the cheapest fare you can and paying a higher copay. I just confirmed this is indeed the case for RT fares BOS<>EZE.

Also note that, if you choose to waitlist a UG instead of confirming, the copay is returned to you in the event your upgrade doesn't clear, whereas the delta up to a higher fare is not.
Old Mar 23, 18, 10:28 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, SW, BA
OP, another way to search if you don't want to look at actual fare classes:

From the United homepage when searching for flights you can just click "All Search Options" near the bottom of the tile and then in the Fare Preferences section of the search options choose "Mileage Upgrade Award" as the upgrade type. After you search, results will show flights that have miles+copay availability. The up arrow next to the price will be green if instantly confirmable or yellow if you are being put on the waitlist. I am seeing BOS-EWR-EZE for $1,123 +25,000 miles + $375 copay for a random date in June. Safe travels!
Old Mar 23, 18, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brooks_87 View Post
OP, another way to search if you don't want to look at actual fare classes:

From the United homepage when searching for flights you can just click "All Search Options" near the bottom of the tile and then in the Fare Preferences section of the search options choose "Mileage Upgrade Award" as the upgrade type. After you search, results will show flights that have miles+copay availability. The up arrow next to the price will be green if instantly confirmable or yellow if you are being put on the waitlist. I am seeing BOS-EWR-EZE for $1,123 +25,000 miles + $375 copay for a random date in June. Safe travels!
and that's $375+25k each way, right?
Old Mar 23, 18, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
and that's $375+25k each way, right?
Yes, it should be each way if you find the same fare.