Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Minors and accompanying adults on a different PNR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Marriot Rewards, Hilton HHonors

Hello all, I plan to book a return ticket ticket to Europe (EWR-FRA-HAM) for my two boys (11 and 14) in summer, but I can only join them on the outbound leg, and my wife on the return leg. So we all have to be on different PNRs (kids, wife, and me). Could there be a problem booking it like this, or with other words, does this raise a red flag with United as there is no adult on the kids' PNR? If it is a problem, what would be a possible solution? Thanks all for your help and suggestions.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
See https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx

When children and adults are traveling together on separate reservations

When children and adults are traveling together on separate reservations, the unaccompanied minor policy does not apply. Before the day of travel, call the United Customer Contact Center so a United representative can add the relevant information to each reservation. Please keep in mind that children traveling on a separate reservation will need to check in with a United representative at the airport, as online and mobile check-in aren’t available for children under 16 years old.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A non-issue and your situation is fairly common. E.g., one parent outbound and the other inbound. You can actually do this as late as the check-in counter, although calling ahead makes the process smoother.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Also watch changes to the schedule. Even though I called to have the reservation noted on the other reservation, changes occurred to my son's reservation where once they switched the connecting airport. He had an award ticket and they then switched me to the same flights (as originally we were booked on the same flights). I was told there was no availability but because I had earlier had the reservations noted in each they agreed to the change, and I suspect they also did not want to be responsible for an UM (who they had "misplaced " on a previous TPAC flight).

Call to get the cross reservations on file and monitor the schedule for each reservation.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I was told there was no availability but because I had earlier had the reservations noted in each they agreed to the change
Excellent point.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Yeah, happens to us frequently, with upgrades and partial award tickets, RPU's, upgrades etc

As long as a parent/guardian and a minor are on the plane and in same cabin of service, PNR doesn't matter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.