Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ever see (+X blocked) in booked column on upgrade list?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 9, 2019, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Possible reasons
-- Oversold economy / lower cabin
-- Irrops of other flights creating an oversold economy situation
-- change of scheduled aircraft ( or an expected change), this is to protect against overbooking business
-- broken seat(s)
-- pilot / crew rest seat(s)

Generally, this is good news for those on the upgrade list and a possible chance of Op-ups for some.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS

When I use the iPhone United app to check flight status upgrade list I see e.g. Business First 40 seats; 20 checked in + 6 blocked...

What are the + 6 blocked? Is that blocked for airline personnel?
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: UA Global Services and 3MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond/Marriott Titanium Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
When I use the iPhone United app to check flight status upgrade list I see e.g. Business First 40 seats; 20 checked in + 6 blocked...

What are the + 6 blocked? Is that blocked for airline personnel?
Blocked are seats not available for purchase or upgrade for any of the following reasons: broken seats, flight crew rest (for long range flights), oversold Y situations.
Old May 12, 2012, 10:02 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
First Class Blocked (as shown on Mobile status)?

Anyone ever seen this notification on the mobile site? I assume it's because Y is sold out:
Old Jul 6, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
UA87 Pvg-Ewr No Upgrade List & Blocked Seats?

Been on UG list for UA 87 this Sunday since 22 Feb.

Can't seem to find an actual queue for the U/G's on the iPhone app, and now the app is showing "9 Blocked" C seats.

What does that mean? Any other location for the U/G list?

Last edited by jimmc66; Jul 6, 2012 at 6:44 pm Reason: meh
Old Jul 6, 2012, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jimmc66
Been on UG list for UA 87 this Sunday since 22 Feb.

Can't seem to find an actual queue for the U/G's on the iPhone app, and now the app is showing "9 Blocked" C seats.

What does that mean? Any other location for the U/G list?
If you're looking at the upgrade list on your phone, it only populates for those checked in. So if you're not checked in, you won't show on the list. At least on domestic flights, at the bottom of the list (its probably there if you scroll down), there's even a message saying this.

I've also found that when I'm upgraded on CPU at my window, I actually show up on that list as cleared if I'm cleared and select a seat, but don't show up on that list if I'm cleared and have not selected a seat yet.

As for the blocked, I think there's another thread on that somewhere. Could be Y is oversold?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 17, 2013 at 9:47 am
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Flight is showing J1 C1 only...possible oversold in Y.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:01 pm

Looks like flight oversold at y due to the new E+ seat.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 2:44 am

At the 24hr mark, UA sent me an email saying they could not confirm an upgrade at this time, and I'd been added to the upgrade standby list.

I checked in for the flight, and the system shows at least 15 other C-class already checked in. However the upgrade standby list says "No Customers Currently Standing By".

I smell a SHARES screw-job coming.

Last edited by jimmc66; Jul 7, 2012 at 4:00 am
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:14 am

I checked in for the flight, and the system shows at least 15 other C-class already checked in. However the upgrade standby list says "No Customers Currently Standing By".
Actually, I come to find out I didn't really check-in. The system wouldn't give me boarding passes with online check-in, just the "not a boarding pass" we need to check your documents nonsense.

Called and spoke to 1K line, and they confirmed I didn't really check-in - and therefore can't be added to the upgrade standby list. ...??? What kind of nonsense is this???

Living in Oz I rarely get an opportunity to use my 6 upgrades every year - they're worthless on SYD flights to the US. The one chance I get a fare that allows use, some other roadblock is thrown at me.

I'm about done with these people. . .
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Amex Plat
Actually, I come to find out I didn't really check-in. The system wouldn't give me boarding passes with online check-in, just the "not a boarding pass" we need to check your documents nonsense.

Called and spoke to 1K line, and they confirmed I didn't really check-in - and therefore can't be added to the upgrade standby list. ...??? What kind of nonsense is this???
I've received the "not a boarding pass" printout many times when checking in for international trips abroad. But I was always checked in. It never occurred to receive it without being checked in. So I guess this is another thing we now have to babysit. Bloody hell, when will this end?
Old Jul 7, 2012, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Years? This is the PMCO way.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, CZR 7*, MGM Plat
I see the same thing for a flight tomorrow.

Capacity: 6
Booked: 2 (+3 Blocked)
https://mobile.united.com/FlightStat...4-ff824b405e75

Anyone know what this means? If those 3 seats are not available then I will probably not get upgraded. Not a big deal either way, just curious.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, CZR 7*, MGM Plat
OK, found the answer in an old CO thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...s-ug-list.html Post #4

In this case I assume the flight is overbooked.

Originally Posted by mbluecpa
This is from the pda site:

What are blocked seats?

On occasion Continental will withdraw or “block” some seats from being sold. There are a few explanations for why this could happen. For example, when Economy Class on a flight is booked over capacity and the premium cabin (i.e. First Class or BusinessFirst) is not, we'll sometimes withdraw some premium cabin inventory from sale to reduce the chances of an oversale. Another common example is on our long-haul flights. Specifically, on Continental flights that are scheduled to be twelve hours or more, up to four BusinessFirst seats may be blocked for crew rest. These blocked seats may not be sold or occupied for any purpose other than crew rest. The least common example is when a seat is broken and can’t be repaired before the flight departs. In these cases, the seat will be blocked from inventory until it is repaired.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
This is exactly what I saw last week on an oversold IAH-SEA flight. The United Club agent looked hard at it and told me it was because Economy was oversold and they blocked F to avoid a worse oversell. Indeed, all 13 blocked seats in F were available at the gate for the upgrade list. First time I had seen that as well.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:22 pm

"First Class: 20; Booked: 13 + 6 Blocked"

When I checked the upgrade status on my upcoming flight online, it showed that 13 out of 20 were booked and 6 were "BLOCKED". Any FTers can kindly teach me here what the "blocked" seats are about? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.