Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United hates pajamas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
For everyone who says they change into PJs and slippers before the flight departs, note the following.
  1. If the plane has to return to the gate and deboard, you will be scrambling.
  2. If there is an emergency on take-off or landing, you will not be well-equipped for an evacuation. Further, the weather outside may be frigid.
While #2 is low probability, all instructions on how to survive a plane mishap generally suggest that you wear reasonable clothes and shoes during take-off and landing. And as we all know with UA, #1 is not an infrequent occurrence.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:46 pm

Given all the awful ways that people dress while flying these days, the attire in question here must have been a whole 'nother level.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
At least OP went gate to gate as opposed to a mid-30's couple on a QR J layover in DOH. That particular evening the J lounge was closed for plumbing problems and these yahoos are slumming around the F lounge in their PJs.

They happened to have been on my inbound flight, (thankfully not on the US bound flight) woke up late in the flight, got up to grab their bags on final descent, crew told them to sit back down. After landing they joked with row 2 about "being careful because overhead bags might have shifted" etc, these were not novices to flying... and yet, they decided QR issued PJs, tops and bottoms, were fine. Then again, we were coming in from SE Asia where PJs in public, and GF/BF wearing matching attire, is quite common.

They came to the bar to get a drink near where I was sitting and later it was quite humorous listening to various conversations around about the 'PJ people'.

But all of this reminds of the scene in Airplane where the old lady is offered whiskey, scornfully declines and then does a few lines of coke. To each their own.
CJR likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
This is my new favourite thread! I mostly agree with the “you should be allowed to wear whatever you like” crowd.

However, I’m really curious about one thing. OP: would you be kind enough to post a photo of the offending outfit?
CJR likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I miss the days when flying was like this:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...6864162520.jpg

I'm not joking. Dressing decently when you travel is like mowing your lawn or keeping nice flowers in your window box. It's a small but critical part of upholding the social contract. If everybody lets their lawns and houses go to hell, behavior in the neighborhood tends to follow it. Before long, you have graffiti and vandalism, and so on.

Same deal in an airplane. When you're dressed nicely and everyone else around you is dressed nicely, manners, behavior, and general consideration for others tend to follow. If everyone looks like a slouch, everyone tends to behave like a slouch.
This is very true. I was in an exit row SEA-IAH with a non-rev (was unsure if deadhead or employee on personal travel) and another well dressed man and it felt so much better than when I was in Y with people dressed like slobs next to me.

If you dress like a slob, I will treat you as such and not talk to you the entire flight. You should expect the FAs to do the bare minimum as well. You don't get through life being lazy.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by daisyatl
I wear Lululemon "to and from" (i.e., not leggings but athleisure, I guess) type clothes. Most of my travel is international so sleep is involved. I always thought that was generally fine. Not the best but fine. After reading these comments, I am rethinking things...
Don't let the stuffed shirts in this thread put you off. Your money is as good as theirs so why not be comfortable? Longhaul travel is exhausting and uncomfortable and I pity someone who feels like they need to be dressed up - it's not 1963!

Originally Posted by chermorg
If you dress like a slob, I will treat you as such and not talk to you the entire flight. You should expect the FAs to do the bare minimum as well. You don't get through life being lazy.
Oh please Brer Fox, whatever you do, please don't throw me into the briar patch

Last edited by Gig103; Mar 23, 2018 at 11:49 pm
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Gig103
Oh please Brer Fox, whatever you do, please don't throw me into the briar patch
Not sure why this is horrible to assume. It is fact that some people dress as if they are going to the club when flying. If you dress like that when flying, you should expect me to treat you as if I was seeing you at a club - I would not say a word to you and I would do everything possible to ignore you the entire flight.

Flying is a social situation, and if you want to be ignored, feel free to treat it as a solo situation.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
If you dress like that when flying, you should expect me to treat you as if I was seeing you at a club - I would not say a word to you and I would do everything possible to ignore you the entire flight.
You treat this like a punishment but matter of fact it's likely to tilt the scale in the the other direction.

Flying is a social situation, and if you want to be ignored, feel free to treat it as a solo situation.
Social situation so long as everyone plays your anti-social reindeer games.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:32 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Not sure why this is horrible to assume. It is fact that some people dress as if they are going to the club when flying. If you dress like that when flying, you should expect me to treat you as if I was seeing you at a club - I would not say a word to you and I would do everything possible to ignore you the entire flight.

My point, in quoting Brer Rabbit, was that ignoring and not speaking to me isn't a punishment, it sounds like an incentive.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:49 am

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Br'er
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is fact that some people dress as if they are going to the club when flying. If you dress like that when flying, you should expect me to treat you as if I was seeing you at a club - I would not say a word to you and I would do everything possible to ignore you the entire flight.
You should probably stay off flights between LAS and BUR (and probably LAX, too) in the summertime as it could cause your head to explode.

I've worn jeans or shorts and a t-shirt for probably every flight I've ever been on for 30+ years, whether in Y or F, and never noticed being treated differently than anybody else. Shorts and other lightweight clothes are pretty standard flying out of LA in the summer.

As for maybe freezing during an evacuation - I mostly avoid flying to cold places, though I usually remember to bring warm clothes when I do.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:19 am

Buy a set of Polaris pajamas from eBay (or take a J flight) and try wearing that aboard in E+/- next time. See if the FAs still give you sass
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:20 am

Programs: United 1K MM, QR Platinum
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
The entire drama could've been avoided by not wearing pajamas - jeez - put some clothes on.

I mean seriously, I personally don't get the lack of decorum on flights.
I feel passengers should be able to wear what they are comfortable in - and there are no restrictions on shorts, fashion sense - so it is sad to hear the OP's experience. I hope you have this noted and the staff receive appropriate training for the future.

Last edited by united78; Mar 24, 2018 at 1:37 am
Old Mar 24, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
This is very true. I was in an exit row SEA-IAH with a non-rev (was unsure if deadhead or employee on personal travel) and another well dressed man and it felt so much better than when I was in Y with people dressed like slobs next to me.

Air travel is public transportation, period and there are basic guidelines for dress and hygeine the airlines have, but what high horse are you on?

Let people flying for business dress however they want, which in most cases if you are flying for business companies and clients dress formally for plane travel. My company has a dress code for air travel if flying on official business, not unique. But to suggest that we need to harken back to the 50's and 60's where wardrobes were formal and leisure and sport wear was just developing is ludicrous.

btw I'll be in 1A in my under armour and running shoes.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 24, 2018 at 10:51 am Reason: discuss the issue;not the poster(s)
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:53 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM

I think you are under the mistaken assumption that everyone wants to talk to their seat neighbor.
chavala and kale73 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.