Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United hates pajamas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 8:54 am

I guess we’ve come a long way wince 1999 when I was 9 years old and me and my family were denied boarding on an AA flight because I was wearing jeans. We were non-revs and I had to change my pants in order to board the flight.

I think that the only United related issue here is why the check-in agent considered you to be a stand-by passenger. The 2nd lady was just expressing her personal opinion. It doesnt sound like she made any reference to her employer’s policy. Sure she’s on duty and a representative of a company but she shiuld be allowed to have a normal conversation with a passenger. That’s why I really like dealing with United FAs that are casual and not as fake as other FAs elsewhere.
What would your response be if you wearing a nice and fashionable outfit and an FA had complimented you and asked the designer of your jacket or shoes? Would your response be ”United is intruding on my personal fashion choices by asking where I buy my outfit”?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC
Lady #2 was spot-on in her assessment, but as a customer service rep she should have kept that opinion to herself unless she was enforcing a company policy.

Frankly, the whole pajama thing in public has gotten out of hand. I see people wearing bed clothes out in public and I find it gross. When you're on a long-haul flight and your seat becomes a make-shift bed, so I don't have issue with someone changing into PJs to sleep on-board, although I never do it.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
United is right to try and impose some standards. Part of the reason it has so many problems is that it flies a lot of ill mannered, uncouth slobs.
When you attract the lower quality type of customer, it is to be expected that there will be conflict and customer service issues. One can't have quality and improved customer service when one is at times managing a herd of swine. Setting some basic comportment standards is one way to encourage the trashy demographic to migrate to Spirit or Frontier or even American.

Some people think that they look fine. Unfortunately, what other people see and are forced to look at is a roll of flab popping out of the clothes, or someone's buttocks, particularly the crack part that is not clean. It is obvious that some people assume that having money or having upgraded or used points to purchase a business class seat means that they can do as they wish. That's not how it works.Nor does it mean that just because someone is in Y that they have to be subjected to the wardrobe choices of trailer park trash.

Originally Posted by seacliffs
Another genuine question - why do you care how other people dress? What is actually offensive about someone dressing in comfortable clothing to sit and watch tv while flying across the planet? I'm not being sarcastic - I really don't understand why people are offended by that. Fancy wedding = fancy clothes? I get that. McDs type setting = fancy clothes? I don't get that.

In terms of the two different women - I've flown 25k+ since January wearing a tshirt / capri combo with never a word said. Today two different women said something - which makes me think something showed up in the United employee pipeline about staff / stand-bys. (Or maybe they, like you, are simply disturbed by other peoples' fashion decisions?)
Have you considered that maybe that some people can pull it off while others cannot?

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I’m all for dressing up while flying, but in the middle of the long flight, I’ll be wearing pajamas. There’s a reason airlines provide them, so I’ll wear them.
Though I do feel a little over dressed wearing TG First pajamas while sitting in UA Y
For non Thais, the TG PJs prove a challenge. Their version of large isn't going to fit most westerners. The end result isn't pretty.

Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
i wear ripped shorts, flip flops (never shoes on a plane), and an old tshirt. i'm usually in paid business. if they dont' want me to fly, i will take another airline.
Nothing to be proud of. In respect to safety, you are the person who will most likely die or be seriously disfigured if there is a crash. You will trip on your flip flops as you try to evacuate the plane and hinder the other pax. Planes have a tendency of fires after crashes. Read up on the injuries sustained at the crash at Phuket. Shorts and flip flop wearers suffered the worst injuries, especially burns.

And in respect to your apparel choice on the plane, you are a selfish individual. What makes you think the passengers who use the cabin want to experience your sweaty flesh drippings and skin shedding because you want to wear shorts? What makes you think you can impose your foot debris on others? Yes, I have seen similar on my flights. Sometimes they cut their toenails and leave the cuttings behind. Other times, I can see their nail fungus. Maybe that's not the case with you, but it's a question of hygiene. Please do take your business elsewhere. The airline can't tell you that as you would most likely be the first to cry discrimination, however, many customers select other airlines because of the general quality of United pax on some routes.

Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
I dress the way I want whether I go to Walmart or Hermes. If any company doesn't want my business, they can tell me and I can put them on my never use list. There are very few things/services I can't buy somewhere else.
You will be discouraged from lingering in Hermes if you dress like a pig. They have a brand image which they protect. United will need to invest in its brand image if it ever seeks to recapture the quality customers it lost.
The company will not suffer if you go elsewhere. On the contrary, it will reassure other customers who have their dignity. Many Americans don't get it, but even in have not countries, passengers dress appropriately or with care when they fly. You will never see a morbidly obese slob in track pants with his butt crack exposed on a plane in Malaysia, or Thailand etc. as one does on a US carrier. There has been a dumbing down and a pandering to the lowest common denominator which is part and parcel of why there is social rot. One cannot provide improved service when one is servicing people who have no respect for others. Your comment shows that it's all about you. You don't care about anyone else, but you. That's fine. You can do that. However, be prepared for pushback if you impose on others.
LondonElite, CJR and JMBResona like this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
i wear ripped shorts, flip flops (never shoes on a plane), and an old tshirt. i'm usually in paid business. if they dont' want me to fly, i will take another airline.
If you ever have to slide down the emergency exit chutes from an aircraft, you'll be going to the hospital afterwards due to that attire. @:-)
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
You will be discouraged from lingering in Hermes if you dress like a pig.... On the contrary, it will reassure other customers who have their dignity.
Assume much ? I said "dress the way I want". But hey, I'll head down to Cherry Creek sometime soon and see how Hermes treats me and report back. Chances are good I'll hit The Container Store first because they give me 3 hours of free parking.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:01 am

I don't get some of the responses on this thread. Personally, I do not care what the person next to me is wearing. If they are clean, if he doesn't smell and if he doesn't pick his toenails. ( been next to that) I am happy. I am sitting near the person--or seeing the the person. I am not marrying, going to dinner or anything else with them,
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by awayIgo
I don't get some of the responses on this thread. Personally, I do not care what the person next to me is wearing. If they are clean, if he doesn't smell and if he doesn't pick his toenails. ( been next to that) I am happy. I am sitting near the person--or seeing the the person. I am not marrying, going to dinner or anything else with them,
You really should read the travelbuzz thread Do you "dress up" to fly premium cabin?, the judgmentalism of some people is fascinating.
Trying to enforce the dress code of a bygone era in air travel is equivalent to
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I WISH we went back to dressing up to fly IF AND ONLY IF airlines went back to the service levels, such as minimum 34 inches of legroom, wider seats, steak dinners, complimentary top shelf liquor, FA's that lived in the cabin instead of the galley, etc.
Kiara likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Cotton-t-shirt with cotton undershirt - if the undershirt is visible that could be the culprit for such behaviour of the UA staff. Such a case is more than casual or pajamas and falls into the straight up "no that's trashy" category. However, if not visible, and could still reasonably pass for something that could be worn in public... eh, I dunno. It is United afterall and they do seem to go out of their way to be inhospitable to a not-insignificant portion of their customers... (though kudos to that gate agent for trying to hook you up even if the effort was sabotaged - nice to see some effort!)
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AStarr
Cotton-t-shirt with cotton undershirt
Is that really a thing? You mean a wife-beater?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: UA GS
On most long hauls, I and most of my fellow passengers spend as much time as possible sleeping. Unitedemphasizes sleep in all the Polaris marketing materials. Pajamas, by definition are highly appropriate sleep attire (and it doesn't sound like the OP was really wearing "pajamas" anyway).

Are we to accept that economy passengers who are already having to suffer in worse accommodations than those on the flight with a actual bed are now also supposed to dress even nicer than in business, even though they want to sleep too (likely much more uncomfortably)?

Unacceptable treatment by United employees.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:32 am

Let's see... short haul i'll do jeans tshirt and maybe a sweater if it's cold. In fact a sweater is kinda necessary in a plane anyway.
Long haul, trackpants and the above. Have gone in the same way be it in coach or 1st. They can try to stop me of course. No one hasn't, yet.

My money is green (at least in the US) just like everyone else's. No one has the right to tell me, or even suggest, what my choice of clothing should be. The Neiman Marcus saleswoman never batted an eye at my sweats and tshirt or messy hair that day when I dropped 4+K on a Chanel bag for my wife's bday. And no United whoever is going to tell me otherwise as well.
Airline personnel is required to be in uniform, it isn't any of their business what I chose to wear. For all they know I could be the crown prince of Zamunda, incognito.

Whether they're trying to instill a semblance of brand consciousness image on their customers or any other reason, United has a lot to be apologetic for these days.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
This story pisses me off. I didn't get pajamas on my polaris flight SYD - IAH on Monday.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
If multiple people perceived you wearing pajamas - then that is what I am picturing - the dress down thing, in my opinion has gotten out of hand......
Who cares what someone else wears as long as its not offensive? If im flying 16+ or in her case 20+ hours I would wear the most comfortable thing i could find. I routinely fly in sweatpants and sweatshirts in Polaris on long haul flights
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by transportprof
If you ever have to slide down the emergency exit chutes from an aircraft, you'll be going to the hospital afterwards due to that attire. @:-)
By the same token, women should not wear dresses or skirts on a plane. And they should not wear nylons. My wife read an article many years ago that the worst burns in a plane that is on fire is to the legs of women wearing nylons. So, she travels in jeans or pants made in cotton material.

For my part, I don't think that the PJs provided by United are appropriate wear in a public place. I just wear the top as a sweat-shirt on top of my ironed long sleeves shirt.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Mar 23, 2018 at 11:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.