Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United hates pajamas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Somehow we're all so concerned about what other people are doing.

If given the choice between a poorly dressed, properly "behaved" traveler and a well dressed, DYKWIA or poorly behaved pax.. I choose the former, because I sometime am the former. I used to fly SCL-PTY-US and those flights leave at 1am or 5am.. I sometimes did wear sweatpants or lighter (even in F). If I was asked by a FA, I would just say "1am flight didn't have time to freshen up". Can't be offended if you don't take offense.

Re: person jumping into your empty row. This has happened to me.. Guy in row ahead of me with a baby and mother, my 3 person with just me. Was planning on laying down o claim the space immediately after takeoff, but during the taxi this guy had a different opinion. It's frustrating but it happens.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
At least they had the guts to say something to you.

I get the side-eye stares or the passive aggressive "you don't belong here behavior". The former doesn't bother me, the latter, irks.

But you get over it after it happens a couple times. Travel hardens you.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:06 am

the way i see it if one person mentions your outfit, then maybe they're {redacted} or having a bad day. however when two separate people mention it, maybe it' is the outfit. post a picture here of the outfit and we'll let you know what we think

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 23, 2018 at 12:44 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by seacliffs
Just wanted to share a story from my flight from PER-SYD-SFO last night. (PER-SYD was on VA but is relevant... )

Would you dress that way if you were going to shop at WalMart?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
I don't really have beef with those who dress down however in this instance like other posters have commented if multiple individuals questioned the choice of attire, it's likely the envelope was pushed a bit. I'd like to hear the other sides of this story...
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:43 am

i wear ripped shorts, flip flops (never shoes on a plane), and an old tshirt. i'm usually in paid business. if they dont' want me to fly, i will take another airline.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
I agree with OP. It's rude. Especially considering you paid for your ticket, they shouldn't have assumed you were non-rev. As long as you are clothed, sufficiently covered (i.e. not shirtless, inappropriately short shorts, nothing suggestive, etc.), and the clothing used is in good shape (no holes, not overwashed, etc) it shouldn't be an issue and the FA shouldn't have made that kind of comment. I have no bearing on what shape the OP's "PJs" were in, but I have gotten away with yoga pants and a softlong sleeved tunic top (long enough to cover bum and tops of thighs) on long-haul redeyes without an issue.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Post #98323234 that proves UA employees treat the customer as the enemy. I have NEVER seen the level of disrespect UA employees treat customers at ANY other airline. Not American, not Delta, not even Spirit. The company is straight up toxic and most employees need to be purged.
pinniped likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:09 am

Did these capris have cute a cute print pattern? That might have been the tipping point for said rude folk.

I think the 2nd woman was incredibly rude, even ruder not to give her name when directly asked. But for two staff to mention the actual word pajamas, it makes me wonder if the pants actually looked liked pj's.

Now I have no trouble with clean clothes ever, but when I see people out in pj's it skeeves me out a bit as many folk wear their pj's for much longer periods than one would day clothes.

I wear comfortable clothes for travel, modern fabrics are amazing. I have some black capris that do not wrinkle, but that I can still wear for work, and not look like I just got out of bed. I care about that, but that is not any one else's problem.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ToddSpam
Would you dress that way if you were going to shop at WalMart?
I dress the way I want whether I go to Walmart or Hermes. If any company doesn't want my business, they can tell me and I can put them on my never use list. There are very few things/services I can't buy somewhere else.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
There is actually something in the CoC about wearing pajama-like clothing?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I think the poster is just mad that he/she went to the bathroom, only to find a fattie sitting in "their" promised empty row.
Moral of the story is, if you know the row is empty, spread your stuff around and sit in the middle until well after takeoff. The FAs are under no obligation to play seat police in Y-.

There is a long thread in Travelbuzz about dressing up to fly, its a fun read, ranging from I'll wear what I want to I always wear a suit.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I don’t normally dress up for a flight. You can see me in anything from a sport coat, dress shirt, pants and appropriate foot wear to an Aloha shirt, shorts and boat shoes or trainers. I’ve learned that presenting yourself well goes a long way when dealing with people. So, who am I to pass judgement on the OP’s traveling attire?
exerda and JMBResona like this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
I don’t normally dress up for a flight. You can see me in anything from a sport coat, dress shirt, pants and appropriate foot wear to an Aloha shirt, shorts and boat shoes or trainers. I’ve learned that presenting yourself well goes a long way when dealing with people. So, who am I to pass judgement on the OP’s traveling attire?
I always wear the same thing when flying, shorts and a Polo. It's definitely a very casual look and I have never been harassed. On my last flight out of FRA, the FAs were laughing at my cool tolerance-i.e. I sleep without a blanket or comforter, and were a little taken aback when I refused the pajamas, insisting that they were "very nice", and "I could give them away to a friend" (this in LH F).
Dublin_rfk, JMBResona and chermorg like this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Count me among those who change into pajamas for overnight long-haul flights. Of course, I tend to change after takeoff and change back prior to landing. Generally this means a t-shirt and pajama pants (plaid, of course). I've never had an FA question it in Y. I have yet to fly in Polaris where they hand out pajamas.

I find jeans and some sort of collared shirt work well for me on most flights (when I'm not dressed up for some sort of work trip). I never wear shorts or sandals, but that's just because I'm generally cold on planes.

I have seen plenty of people wearing what could be considered "pajamas" on UA flights. Not even longhauls. I do chuckle at people who bring their full-sized pillows with them as a carry-on.
Dublin_rfk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.