Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hearing more of "No BoB Catered" on Short(er) flights

Hearing more of "No BoB Catered" on Short(er) flights

Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by fumje
I don't disagree with your observation, although like the pyjamas, it has prompted me to wonder why they don't just use a mileage chart to determine PJ provisioning or BoB / snacks. Mileage is the underlying variable in the stage length, so attempting to average the variance out of it and using that as the deciding factor is oddly opaque. But perhaps that's what they want.
Most likely because your average customer doesn't know/care about how many miles their flight is and they want an easy way to determine if their flight has BoB or not.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by BThumme
As 1K who files plenty of regional flights and short hauls, I've seen a trend over the last month of being told more often that they don't have any snacks being offered, and flight attendants providing the absolute bare minimal service (if they leave their seat).
Not one to really consume catered items -drinks or food- on these short flights, it was still a bit disappointing to hear the FA say UA won't cater the "very short flights" (whatever that means) after April 1.
It is a rumor only at this point:

[Rumor] FA says "No catering on short flights" beginning April 1, 2018
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
One (or two) more 1K benefit(s) into the wind.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL GM, AS; Marriott and SPG Gold, Hyatt
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
Perhaps that is the biggest reason? I wonder if the only boxes that were being used were by 1Ks getting them free and people weren't actually buying them. Otherwise seems strange to not try to sell more of a product.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
Originally Posted by hoshattack
Perhaps that is the biggest reason? I wonder if the only boxes that were being used were by 1Ks getting them free and people weren't actually buying them. Otherwise seems strange to not try to sell more of a product.
The 1K items are popular sellers onboard as well. Catering has recently been changed to reflect the popularity of the Tapas box, for example. It has nothing to do with eroding 1K benefits

Originally Posted by BThumme
What you link to shows:
Bistro on board (sandwiches, hot items, etc) - 3.5 hours
Snack shop (boxes) - 1.5 hours

Then "snacks", which don't have a time specified. That's what I'm referring to - gummy bears, pretzels, potato chips.
On mainline, there are only three "levels" of catering - Stroopwaffels/Pretzel Mix are always boarded. Snackboxes and chips, gummy bears, chocolate preztels, etc, are all part of the "snack shop" which are boarded on one cart, and are boarded for any routes scheduled over 1.5 hours. BoB is boarded on a second cart, if scheduled flight times and departure times reflect.

The word "Snacks" at the bottom is underneath the "Snack Shop" header.
iluv2fly and goodeats21 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
I complained to 1KVoice about this back in January (after not having any snacks loaded on a YYZ-ORD flight). The flight is scheduled for longer than 90 minutes, so as per their published schedule it should have had snacks. Here was their reply:

Dear Toronto1970:

Thank you for contacting us.

I am sorry for the confusion regarding food on board. This is from our website: Choice Menu Snack Shop offers snacks and snackboxes for purchase throughout the day in United Economy on most United mainline and United Express flights with a scheduled flight time over two hours. Choice Menu Bistro on Board offers freshly prepared meals available for purchase in United Economy on most United mainline flights with a scheduled flight time over 3.5 hours departing before 8 p.m.

I hope this helps answer your question. We appreciate your loyalty as a Premier 1K and look forward to serving you again.
I wrote back and sent them the link to their website where it said 90 minutes and NOT two hours. They wrote back and said they would investigate the discrepancy, but never got back to me. So perhaps the policy has been changed to a two hour flight minimum - they just haven't bothered to publicly announce it!

EDIT: I just checked and the page now does say 2 hours! https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...my/dining.aspx . It definitely didn't say that when I flew in January!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toronto1970
I complained to 1KVoice about this back in January (after not having any snacks loaded on a YYZ-ORD flight). The flight is scheduled for longer than 90 minutes, so as per their published schedule it should have had snacks. Here was their reply:

I wrote back and sent them the link to their website where it said 90 minutes and NOT two hours. They wrote back and said they would investigate the discrepancy, but never got back to me. So perhaps the policy has been changed to a two hour flight minimum - they just haven't bothered to publicly announce it!

EDIT: I just checked and the page now does say 2 hours! https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...my/dining.aspx . It definitely didn't say that when I flew in January!
FWIW that link (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...my/dining.aspx) saying 3.5hrs / 2hrs looks older and is less specific than the other link (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...nomy/menu.aspx) saying 3hrs / 1.5hrs, which also seems closer to my experience. I agree it would be best if they were consistent with what they publish, though.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 2MM 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Did an IAD-RIC in F... no PDB, no drinks at all... coach got pretzels, but no drinks.

Talk about cheap.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.