Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA "Visit London" promotion at NY Penn Station

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA "Visit London" promotion at NY Penn Station

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:32 pm

I would not want to "win" 2 economy-class tickets to LHR -- why not offer a choice, either 2 E tickets or 1 J ticket! Of course, either would be taxable, but I'll take a single J ticket any day...

BTW, when UA reports this on the IRS form 1099-Misc, does UA use the lowest possible fare, or does UA use the highest, refundable fare?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
What does the real estate (exorbitant rent) cost for this location ?.......I will never understand UAL dumbing and cheapening everything else down yet they will maintain an expensive ticket office (and salaries) at Penn Station NYC. Who goes in there, people who want to change seat assignments ? Everyone does everything on line. As well, dozens of former "Continental" city ticket offices worldwide (especially RulesCentral America). Ridiculous and expensive at the expense of employees who should be getting comparable bonuses that other airlines are giving their employees.
I guess it's marketing.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
...BTW, when UA reports this on the IRS form 1099-Misc, does UA use the lowest possible fare, or does UA use the highest, refundable fare?
Out of curiousity, I’d like to see an answer about this. I won a car in in the 90s and got two 1099s, one from Subaru USA and one from the dealer - with different amounts. I saved an ad from the dealer the weekend I took delivery advertising the vehicle and used that price (lower than either 1099) on my tax return. My rationale is the ad price is what it was available for and what I’d pay for it. Sent a copy in w/ my return, ignoring both 1099s. Didn’t get push back from IRS. Maybe they didn’t audit.

If I won airline tickets, I’d challenge any amount over what I could have purchased the trip for on the day I booked the travel.
Do not take this as advice - I ain’t no stinkin’ tax attorney.

As for 2 economy tickets, I rode back from LHR in a plane with full First, full Business, and maybe 1/3 occupied economy. UA seems to have more coach seats to give away than front cabin(s).
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
What does the real estate (exorbitant rent) cost for this location ?.......I will never understand UAL dumbing and cheapening everything else down yet they will maintain an expensive ticket office (and salaries) at Penn Station NYC. Who goes in there, people who want to change seat assignments ? Everyone does everything on line. As well, dozens of former "Continental" city ticket offices worldwide (especially Central America). Ridiculous and expensive at the expense of employees who should be getting comparable bonuses that other airlines are giving their employees.
It's there because of the codeshare with Amtrak. They do get a lot of traffic as a result.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If I won airline tickets, I’d challenge any amount over what I could have purchased the trip for on the day I booked the travel.
Do not take this as advice - I ain’t no stinkin’ tax attorney.

You don't have to be a tax attorney to follow this logic. You pay taxes on the Fair market value (FMV) or what you could reasonably buy it for on the day the prize was awarded. The prize giver provides an approximate retail value (ARV), which is usually, but not always, overinflated. It's like the Price is Right -- nobody pays Manufacturers Suggested Retail Value, but that's what you have to bid.

You'll ideally want the sponsor to change their 1099 to reflect this. Some will, some won't. Barring that, it's a good idea to fill out a form 4598 to reflect said difference. But always have documentation.

To make it actionable for this thread, if you win the sweepstakes, go to UA.com that day and document (book your ticket and get a receipt then cancel, or just take screencap of final price ex-taxes) the pre-tax values for whatever dates you are going to fly. Ask that the 1099 be reflective of that.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
So when I stopped by this morning to submit my daily entry into the sweepstakes, I told the marketing folks at the booth that I see everyday about this thread with the pictures, and suggested they check it out. I asked them if they had noticed anyone taking pictures yesterday, and they mentioned they had seen some folks were taking pictures of the musicians, but they had to avoid being in the pictures because they are not supposed to be photographed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.