Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Use of Lounge on Intl return connecting to non *A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - million Miler

We are traveling to Africa on South African Airways (SAA) from JFK to JNB in May and we will will be accumulating United Miles. We are flying BUSINESS CLASS and we are both United Star Alliance GOLD. (I'm a Million Miler) We return on SAA from JNB to JFK, and then have a 6 hour layover and connect to a Domestic American Airlines flight. Are we entitled to use the STAR Alliance lounge at JFK while waiting for our AA flight.

Thanks
Old Mar 20, 2018, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by iflyalot
Are we entitled to use the STAR Alliance lounge at JFK while waiting for our AA flight.
No. Star Alliance rules requires that your outbound flight be on a Star Alliance carrier. The only exception is if your inbound was on United, you could use the United Club.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by iflyalot
We are traveling to Africa on South African Airways (SAA) from JFK to JNB in May and we will will be accumulating United Miles. We are flying BUSINESS CLASS and we are both United Star Alliance GOLD. (I'm a Million Miler) We return on SAA from JNB to JFK, and then have a 6 hour layover and connect to a Domestic American Airlines flight. Are we entitled to use the STAR Alliance lounge at JFK while waiting for our AA flight.

Thanks
[Moderator edit.]

*A lounge policy for *G does not allow for arrivals lounge use. Since you're on SAA, whether you're a million miler or 10 million miler on UA means nothing to them. You're just *G flying in J.

More importantly, though, [moderator edit] SAA and AA use totally different terminals at JFK. As you'll have to clear immigration on arrival to JFK, [you won't be able] to access any of the lounges operated by *A airlines, as T8, which AA operates out of, doesn't have one...

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 21, 2018 at 8:37 am Reason: Moderator edits to comply with FT Rule 12, to discuss the topic, and not get unduly personal with the member(s).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.