Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Suspends Cargo Program for Pets (PetSafe)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Chicago Tribune
United Airlines is suspending new reservations for pets traveling in the cargo compartment after three dogs were loaded onto wrong planes last week and a fourth died in an overhead bin.

United will honor reservations that have already been confirmed for PetSafe, its program for pets traveling in cargo, the airline said Tuesday. The suspension does not affect pets traveling with their owners in the cabin.

“We are conducting a thorough and systematic review of our program for pets that travel in the cargo compartment to make improvements that will ensure the best possible experience for our customers and their pets,” United spokeswoman Maggie Schmerin said in an emailed statement.

The airline said it would complete the review by May 1.
WSJ: 'United Suspends Cargo Program for Pets' (paywall)
Under fire for its handling of pets, United Continental Holdings Inc will stop taking reservations for its live-animal shipping program at least until May 1 while it reviews the program.
United will continue to transport animals with existing reservations during the program’s suspension. A spokesman said the review would be conducted with independent animal-safety experts.
Print Wikipost

United Suspends Cargo Program for Pets (PetSafe)

Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by onthesam
While UA has the highest animal death rate, the systemwide death incident is very high. Per DOT, in 2017, 506,994 animals were transported by airlines, for a rate of 0.79 incidents per 10,000 animals transported. In 2016, 523,743 animals were transported, for a rate of 0.92 incidents per 10,000 animals transported. We wouldn't fly humans at those rates.
You'd be correct if humans had the average lifespan of a dog, which is 10-13 years versus 79 for a human. If we had the lifespan of dogs, you'd see people dropping like flies on flights......
Imstevek likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
@HNLbasedFlyer I think you might be missing my point in your attempt to extrapolate.

To me, a lot depends on where one stands -- some people might find a rate of .79 injuries or accidents per 10,000 animals to be unacceptable. Personally, I've always felt that air travel poses an unnecessary risk for domesticated animals.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by fly18725
Importing a pet into a foreign country in not usually a good option.
Why? I live in Korea and plan to ship my dog with me when I move to the US. Should I leave my dog, abandon it forever, and give it to a shelter where it will likely be killed? Please tell us about your humble opinions about this matter.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
No, pets are not human, but humans are also animals and all animals should be treated with kindness and respect. If United just can't figure out how to transport a well-prepared animal from A to B without losing or killing them, then it's obvious one should choose another airline if they need to transport their pet. If one really cannot stand sharing the passenger cabin with a service or emotional support animal, then one should consider flying private. Transporting a pet in a crate is not rocket science, especially when United supposedly has a process to do this, inherited from Continental - dedicated staff, transport vans, boarding/deplaning timing, and climate controlled waiting areas and cargo spaces. If they can't do this simple thing right, what hope is there for the really complicated parts of their operation?
ContinentalFan and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 20, 2018 at 10:46 pm Reason: discuss the issue; not the poster(s)
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by onthesam
While UA has the highest animal death rate, the systemwide death incident is very high. Per DOT, in 2017, 506,994 animals were transported by airlines, for a rate of 0.79 incidents per 10,000 animals transported. In 2016, 523,743 animals were transported, for a rate of 0.92 incidents per 10,000 animals transported. We wouldn't fly humans at those rates. It all depends I guess on what you consider to be 'safe'. I don't feel like it's 'safe' to check the pet on any airline -- it should be a costly option of last resort.
Your conclusion that the death rate is "very high" is subjective. I would consider 0.79 incidents per 10,000 animals to be low. After all, these are animals we are talking about here, not humans.
onthesam likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That has to be the single most insensitive statement ever on FT.
LOL. There's far worse in /PR.

Originally Posted by geo979
Your conclusion that the death rate is "very high" is subjective. I would consider 0.79 incidents per 10,000 animals to be low. After all, these are animals we are talking about here, not humans.
Imagine if the human mortality rate on the Oregon Trail and other great migrations had been that low.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
United Airlines Decision Will Strand Military Family Pets on Guam

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...pets-guam.html

United just can't win whatever they do.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Wait - what - did I read everyone's favorite airline, Delta cancelled service earlier this year? Shouldn't United follow?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe this is a niche for a (cargo) carrier to specialize in pet transportation.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by bocastephen
No, pets are not human, but humans are also animals and all animals should be treated with kindness and respect. If United just can't figure out how to transport a well-prepared animal from A to B without losing or killing them, then it's obvious one should choose another airline if they need to transport their pet. If one really cannot stand sharing the passenger cabin with a service or emotional support animal, then one should consider flying private. Transporting a pet in a crate is not rocket science, especially when United supposedly has a process to do this, inherited from Continental - dedicated staff, transport vans, boarding/deplaning timing, and climate controlled waiting areas and cargo spaces. If they can't do this simple thing right, what hope is there for the really complicated parts of their operation?
how is transporting a dog in a crate not a rocket science? it is not simple. you have no idea what it takes. it is not like UA crews actively sabotage the dog or beat them to death. Dogs do die flying on airplanes. people don't understand it very well. there is always a small risk involved transporting live animals. not all dogs are the same. Some very healthy dogs react differently when put in the hold.

to put the DOT numbers in perspective, you have to neutralize all kinds of external factors, what kind of dogs is it (does UA take in higher % of at risk dogs?), what kind of trips is it? is UA trips on average longer and more complicated, more international routing, more connections? It is not as simple as comparing the odd across different airlines.

the odd of dogs getting killed on United is very very small. I suspect the law of small numbers is at play here. There is quite a bit random variability. just like talking about aviation safety in general. For example, out of billion passengers transported, 50 people died last year, 150 people died this year, with this can you claim this year is 3 times as unsafe as last year? of course not. anyone with some good statistical education knows it is more complicated than that.

it is possible UA need to change certain procedures, maybe having a more rigorous intake exam, etc. (just take less dogs, anything that doesn't look good, refuse transport). However, people on this forum and on the blogsphere, without any specialized knowledge and detailed data, are all ........ting here.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by bhunt
https://www.military.com/daily-news/...pets-guam.html

United just can't win whatever they do.
Can't they just call them ESAs and bring them on-board, in-cabin?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by warrenw
Why? I live in Korea and plan to ship my dog with me when I move to the US. Should I leave my dog, abandon it forever, and give it to a shelter where it will likely be killed? Please tell us about your humble opinions about this matter.
KLM has very good pet service (including an animal hotel in AMS) so you might want to think about flying that way through Europe. If you can afford it a lot of cargo airlines have services where you can accompany your horse on a flight. I'm sure they would allow smaller animals as well.

As for leaving the dog, as my wife would say "If it's a choice between you and the dog, guess who gets left behind."
crazycrab955 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by warrenw
My opinion is that it is traumatic for the pet to be transported in the hold and placed in quarantine.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by fly18725
My opinion is that it is traumatic for the pet to be transported in the hold and placed in quarantine.
Is it more or less traumatic than separating from your pet forever? Remember, they don't understand why you're gone, just that you abandoned them. They'll look for you forever, and you just won't ever show up again.

To me, 12 hours in a cargo hold for a lifetime of their happiness is well worth it.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by amtrakusa
how is transporting a dog in a crate not a rocket science? it is not simple. you have no idea what it takes. it is not like UA crews actively sabotage the dog or beat them to death. Dogs do die flying on airplanes. people don't understand it very well. there is always a small risk involved transporting live animals. not all dogs are the same. Some very healthy dogs react differently when put in the hold.

to put the DOT numbers in perspective, you have to neutralize all kinds of external factors, what kind of dogs is it (does UA take in higher % of at risk dogs?), what kind of trips is it? is UA trips on average longer and more complicated, more international routing, more connections? It is not as simple as comparing the odd across different airlines.
All good points. Who knows what the overall health of these mongrels are when they get loaded on the airplane.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.