Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can someone else pick up my bag? {Arriving international at SFO}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can someone else pick up my bag? {Arriving international at SFO}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ttuna3
SQ should be check the bag through to LAX per *A rules on separate tickets. If the OP bag(s) are checked through then they'll make it eventually. All they need to do is to file a missing/delayed bag report at SFO with whatever extra CBP paperwork is needed and UA will send it along.
The bag isn't the primary concern - it might add 15-20 minutes to the connection process, but the OP needs to realize what the process is for them, not just the bag.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, SK, QR
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The bag isn't the primary concern - it might add 15-20 minutes to the connection process, but the OP needs to realize what the process is for them, not just the bag.
I am aware of the process, have done multiple international-domestic transfers in the US. The question was solely about the check-in bags. I know well that I have a high chance of missing the flight to LAX, and have backup plans if that is the case. A tight layover isn't ideal, but in this case it's the only option for getting to LAX without overnighting; and I'm willing to risk it.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I actually once forgot to pick up my bag from the carousel (no connection). I had done multiple international trips with just a carry on, and this once I needed to check an additional bag. I was about to hop in a cab when I remembered and ran back in to the baggage claim office. They couldn't get me back into the customs area, but they did send someone with my passport and BP to go get it. I had to wait about an hour, but a UA agent did bring it out with no problems. Unlike the OP, I had Global Entry and a US passport, so that likely helped. From UA's willingness to intercede, my being in J and 1K status may have helped as well.
Similarly, I forgot my carry-on at a GE kiosk at IAD. Went through immigration and customs at mid-concourse until I was going through security before I realized it. I was able to backtrack and CBP let me go back to the baggage area while holding on to my passport. Luckily UA baggage counter had it and I was able to claim it before proceeding on to my connection. No hassle or questions, just some puzzled looks and a 5min backtrack.

My situation was a blunder on my part, but as suggested by others, OP should definitely retrieve own luggage before proceeding.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by AJ747M
Yep - a $75 USD 12 hour international flight! No award space on direct...

Thanks all for the help- knew it was a long shot. I'll travel without check-in baggage. As someone stated above, the SQ flight arrived into SFO late at night- I am booked on the last flight to LAX. Would rather risk it than stay overnight in SFO.
If you are able to travel without check-in luggage, by all means, do so. Eliminates the wait for checked bags to show up at the carousel. You can just go straight through immigration to Customs and on your way to connection. Increases your odds of making your connecting flight by quite a bit.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:38 am
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
If you do decide to do it, try to get SQ to tag your bags all the way to LAX so at the very least you can just drop your bags at the recheck counter instead of going to the UA check-in counters.

Also might help if you are *G and make sure they put the orange prio tags on your luggage.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goodeats21
If you are able to travel without check-in luggage, by all means, do so. Eliminates the wait for checked bags to show up at the carousel. You can just go straight through immigration to Customs and on your way to connection. Increases your odds of making your connecting flight by quite a bit.
Yep, definitely will travel without.

On another note, will airport employees help with getting through immigration/customs lines if I am running late for the connecting flight?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
On another note, will airport employees help with getting through immigration/customs lines if I am running late for the connecting flight?
Unlikely without top-tier status. You won't be the only one in that situation.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Got it. Thanks
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:04 pm
mr8

Yep, definitely will travel without.

This is where GE would help since they have a dedicated customs line as well.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
Unless HKG is suddenly made a pre-clearance destination, this would require complex arrangements with U.S. ICE, which may not be possible to negotiate. And it would red-flag the transaction for ICE in the first place.
Why does it have to do with ICE when CBP is the primary agency?

Originally Posted by mr8
This is where GE would help since they have a dedicated customs line as well.
The fastest line @sfo is Mobile Passport. GE has been dethroned.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:15 pm
mr8

Originally Posted by garykung
The fastest line @sfo is Mobile Passport. GE has been dethroned.
They have a dedicated line for customs once you pick up your bags?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
I have a tight connection in SFO, on two separate bookings transferring from Int'l terminal to domestic (HKG > SFO > LAX, SQ and UA). If for some reason my baggage takes a lot of time to come out - and I don't have time to pick it up without missing my connecting flight - would a friend in SFO (who is travelling to LAX the next day) be able to pick it up?

Assuming UA would not be able to/wouldn't help get the bag to LAX, unless I can check the bag through at HKG.
I tried pitching the idea once in this context on behalf of the cartels, but CBP wasn't amused.
mr8 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by mr8
Pretty sure it's just two lines at SFO. The "normal humans" line, and the "you have expedited status" line, but they both feed into the same (two) agent(s) so it doesn't seem to be any faster to have two lines.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mr8
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Pretty sure it's just two lines at SFO. The "normal humans" line, and the "you have expedited status" line, but they both feed into the same (two) agent(s) so it doesn't seem to be any faster to have two lines.
Correct.

In fact, at SFO, your status matters more than GE.

SFO is relatively efficient in term of immigration and customs processing even when it is busy. The status matters more because 1) If you have checked bag, your baggage will be first to offload; 2) If no checked bag, you will most likely sit at the front of the plane, being the first group to disembark.

Off topic - if GE does not come with TSA PreCheck, it is not worth applying GE as you won't save much time as TSA PreCheck.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by garykung
Off topic - if GE does not come with TSA PreCheck, it is not worth applying GE as you won't save much time as TSA PreCheck.
I'm not sure that's true. The GlobalEntry line at SFO is still the shortest of any line that I've experienced, by a long shot, even with the 3-4 broken kiosks at any given time. It's definitely saved me hours over the past few months.

That being said, PreCheck at SFO does save a fair bit of time as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.