Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Babyseat blocked recline

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:27 pm

Reclining seats should be banned. I never recline my seat in economy and am very annoyed when people in front of me do. Reclining changes the angles of seat-back monitors and makes it harder to use your laptops sitting on tray tables. I wish airlines would just install fixed back seats in economy. That would eliminate all these issues
Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by chbj
Reclining seats should be banned. I never recline my seat in economy and am very annoyed when people in front of me do. Reclining changes the angles of seat-back monitors and makes it harder to use your laptops sitting on tray tables. I wish airlines would just install fixed back seats in economy. That would eliminate all these issues
Even on International flights of 16 hours? If it happened, there would be half the passengers congregating in the galleys....and the rules are that no passengers should congregate in the galleys or near the toilets.....
Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
This isn’t a tremendously valuable post, but I’m still laughing tremendously that a post claimed that parents were selfish for bringing a baby on the plane with them. Pretty sure Flyertalk absurdity peaked right there and we can all go home.
ctownflyer, wrp96, UTex09 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:11 pm

It would be interesting to know if either of the parents reclined their seats while at the same time preventing the reclining of the seat ahead of the baby? A huge car seat (and most of them are huge) cannot properly be restrained with a lap belt - a tether strap is also needed to prevent the seat from rotating during turbulence or even just bumping into it but this is never brought up. If I buy an airline ticket I have certain expectations and because of back and height issue I cannot sit in an upright seat that doesn't recline for any length of time. The expectation of a reclining seat is a 'norm' for air travel (and this is validated by airlines indicating which seats don't recline when you choose your seat online). BTW I have grandchildren who fly but I, and thank goodness their parents as well, are not paranoid about what could happen if I don't tightly buckle them into a rear-facing seat. It is a risk not doing it but so is crossing the street pushing a baby-buggy (and most of the time the child is loosely belted in, if at all) which is inherently more dangerous due to speeding traffic, cars jumping curbs, uneven pavement and whatever but every parent does this on a constant basis without any worries.
Kiwi7 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chbj
None of this applies to me. I’m 6’5” and horizontally challenged. Every flight is misery, but I never recline my seat even though that extra inch might help. I’ve had seats thrown back into my knees by 5 foot 90 pound overly- entitled airheads so many time that I will never inflict that on anyone else.

Last edited by milepig; Mar 20, 2018 at 8:57 pm
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
There is a reason why some airlines reserve bulkhead rows for family with babies, so they can attach bassinets. Those same seats will accommodate car seats and NOT impede other passengers. This avoids the problem that is the basis of all the discussions on this thread.

UA bulkheads are all E+, and available to all, that contributes to the problem.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by CIT85
There is a reason why some airlines reserve bulkhead rows for family with babies, so they can attach bassinets. Those same seats will accommodate car seats and NOT impede other passengers. This avoids the problem that is the basis of all the discussions on this thread.

FWIW I've been reseated multiple times by FAs who have claimed that you can't have a rear facing carseat in a bulkhead seat. I've never seen that written anywhere, but it's just not worth arguing things like that with power-tripping FAs. Now I just stay away from bulkheads when traveling with rear facing carseats.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HoyaSFOIAD
This isn’t a tremendously valuable post, but I’m still laughing tremendously that a post claimed that parents were selfish for bringing a baby on the plane with them. Pretty sure Flyertalk absurdity peaked right there and we can all go home.
I agree - seriously, bring a baby, seat in front of you gets compensation - come on.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Even more disgusting is that some who think parents are selfish for bringing a child on board see no problem at all in bringing a pet on board.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Exactly. Hard to have a rational discussion about this topic with people who think that parents are being selfish for traveling with their children.
mdavies likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by cruiser9999
It would be interesting to know if either of the parents reclined their seats while at the same time preventing the reclining of the seat ahead of the baby? A huge car seat (and most of them are huge) cannot properly be restrained with a lap belt - a tether strap is also needed to prevent the seat from rotating during turbulence or even just bumping into it but this is never brought up. If I buy an airline ticket I have certain expectations and because of back and height issue I cannot sit in an upright seat that doesn't recline for any length of time. The expectation of a reclining seat is a 'norm' for air travel (and this is validated by airlines indicating which seats don't recline when you choose your seat online). BTW I have grandchildren who fly but I, and thank goodness their parents as well, are not paranoid about what could happen if I don't tightly buckle them into a rear-facing seat. It is a risk not doing it but so is crossing the street pushing a baby-buggy (and most of the time the child is loosely belted in, if at all) which is inherently more dangerous due to speeding traffic, cars jumping curbs, uneven pavement and whatever but every parent does this on a constant basis without any worries.
1. The seats have to be FAA approved which do fit all plane seats
2. The expectation to have your child in a child seat overweighs yours of a recline
3. Read the physics of turbulence. It is not comparable to a baby-buggy. It is why you cannot have sometihng on your lap on take off and landing. Also the incidence of scalp burns on lap childs is high (requiring ER)

Originally Posted by CIT85

US airlines do not allow bassinets. ONly european

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 21, 2018 at 11:17 am
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by BeatCal
US airlines do not allow bassinets. ONly european
False.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
This is just an unfortunate fact of life when flying. Some people on the plane have their needs placed above yours. Whether its due to a baby seat or a dog or status, that's just the way it is. Sometimes it's the person being selfish or poor planning, sometimes there is simply no viable alternative.

I do agree, this is something best handled by a FA/GA. For example, if the flight isnt full, consider moving the baby to a seat where there is no one in front. Or moving the OP to another open seat.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
False.
AA, Delta, UA don’t allow bassinets
which America based does.?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by BeatCal

AA, Delta, UA don’t allow bassinets
which America based does.?
UA does have Bassinets on their flights, but that is limited to which airplane you are travelling on. Not all types of aircrafts are equipped to have bassinets. Typically this is only available on wide-bodied aircraft. I'm sure it's the same for other US carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.