Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Babyseat blocked recline

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by bhunt
Some airlines don't have reclining seats. aka Spirit. So there no federal regulation saying you have a reclining seat.
But the OP was not on Spirit and his seat would recline were it not for the babyseat blocking it. You completely missed the point here.
Old May 19, 2018, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by cruiser9999
You are missing the points here:
1) I am referring to proper installation, not the car seat fitting into the seat (and I can assure you that I have been on many planes where even a small adult barely fits into a seat,, never mind trying to put a car seat in). To install a child seat in a car it must be literally weighed down by someone way bigger than me in order to get the straps properly tightened. As such the large majority of car seats are incorrectly installed according to many new articles, An airline seatbelt is not self-tightening and I have never seen a parent put any weight on the seat when buckling it in. As such it can, and does easily move around and will rotate without a tether strap which I have also never seen anyone use,
2) Guess I will be bringing a doctor's note from now on as having a reclinable seat is a health requirement for me.
3) I am talking about the probabilities here... not about turbulence in a baby buggy. i.e. the chance of a child being injured in a plane (and for that matter any other person) is way less than being in a car, walking down a street or whatever.
airline seats do tighten with the buckle. Don’t need rage tether. The turbulence is the problem both for flying objects (babies) and burns

an use your note in the “front cabin”°
Old Jun 12, 2023, 2:10 pm

I was on a long flight to Brazil once and had a car seat behind me. It was so wedged in there that my seat was slightly even more upright than usual. After taking off I asked the flight attendant if my seat reclined (I knew it did it was just my way of asking for help) and she said “oh it won’t because of the car seat”. Both parents behind me had their seats reclined for the flight and held the baby most of the time and only put the baby back in the car seat when it was sleeping. I was a teen and didn’t ask the parents if they would move it. I thought perhaps when they heard me asking the flight attendant or maybe the flight attendant would ask them to move it around the other way and only have it facing back for takeoff and landing.
I came to edit this to include that me and my family were sitting in the bulkhead seats now years later I’m thinking the family behind us wanted those seats because it’s where baby bassinets can go. They didn’t ask us to switch seats or anything but I think it was their way of punishing us for sitting there and it not being available to them.

Last edited by Kiwi7; Jun 12, 2023 at 2:18 pm Reason: Just thought of something.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
There is a CARES harness.
Personally though we need a carseat where we are coming from and where we are going, so may as well bring it on the plane as well.
CARES harness has an age minimum (or maybe height/weight min?). I feel like it was 3 or 4. Which wouldn’t help in this situation since any baby in a rear-facing seat almost certainly wouldn’t be old/heavy enough for a CARES harness.

As for car seats, yes, but for those not wanting to bring on the plane, there are options. If you’re renting a car, you can request one (free for Hertz if you are a AAA member). And already had one from origin. So not ecessary for all who don’t want to bring one.

Originally Posted by HoyaSFOIAD
This isn’t a tremendously valuable post, but I’m still laughing tremendously that a post claimed that parents were selfish for bringing a baby on the plane with them. Pretty sure Flyertalk absurdity peaked right there and we can all go home.
yup - the selfish for bringing a kid onboard crowd. That should probably go in OMNI territory. Love the folks who think that children under X age shouldn’t be able to fly on an airline which sells tickets to the public. I guess adults can travel to see their family, or go on vacation, but babies shouldn’t be allowed?

If someone is so entitled to think that others can’t travel with babies, seems like flying private would be a good solution for them (though now I’m in OMNI territory).

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
All airlines have always allowed bassinets. You need to request them in advance. The only thing US carriers ban are lap belts for infants.

I used a bassinet once in 2011 from IAH-HNL and won't make that mistake again. Had to hold onto the infant for takeoff and landing and had to wake and remove the baby every time the seatbelt light came on, so it was worse than useless.
After that we bought a seat and use a carseat for safety and so that the baby can sleep undisturbed.
this.

we never used them, since honesty, our kids didn’t want to be that far away from mom or dad anyway (but that’s probably for another thread…). Remember one time we were flying SQ TPAC, sitting in bulkhead next to another dad with a baby that was trying to use a bassinet. But seatbelt sign was constantly going on and off, so dad had to take the kid on and off…had to be at least a dozen+ times. Not good for anyone, for sure.

as for requesting them, I think on UA, for sure, but interestingly, we were booked on LH once FRA-India, and they don’t assign seats in advance (unless you want to pay) - can’t remember if this was when our younger or older kid was <2, but we were specifically assigned bulkheads and they came and asked to set up the bassinet after takeoff. We declined - I think the crew was a bit offended, but we weren’t going to use it, so why?
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.