Babyseat blocked recline

Reply

Old Mar 19, 18, 8:49 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Morris County, NJ
Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,505
Look, the airplane is a giant aluminum tube stuffed full of as many people as they can cram in.

Sometimes, we all have to "take one for the team" so to speak. Especially when it comes to little ones. Just like riding on a city bus - sometimes you're stuck with the seat over the wheel well, and your feet get cramped up. Just how it is.

Thankfully, the human psyche offers an innate protective instinct towards children - so we tend to accept things like this without complaint because it's for the protection of a defenseless child.

I know you're not complaining per se, but there is no guarantee of reclination. I'll be honest - I don't find the recline very comfortable anyway. In fact, I prefer choosing Row 20 on most flights since I never recline my economy seats anyway - and the row in front of me usually can't recline either. Best of both worlds.

So I ask - please be careful what you complain about. Approaching it as "something you paid for" -- you just might inspire United to assign a value to it... and give them another monetization idea - "Swipe your card to unlock your seat's recline button now!" Clearly the offer of FF miles was a nice gesture on United's part... I'd just let sleeping does lie, lest we open Pandora's box here.
cmdinnyc, nnn, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
dmurphynj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 18, 8:59 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 26
Can we get a breakdown on if all the children of age would have been in car seats, if there may have been anymore deaths? No way to know that it would have helped, or hurt others. Or maybe those children that did survive would have been added to the casualty count as they would have been in seats instead of on the floor. I can think of quite a few plane crashes where no one survived.
useyourname is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 18, 9:02 am
  #33  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Programs: UA Premier Silver
Posts: 311
Originally Posted by useyourname View Post
The only thing a car seat would help with is turbulence. If it goes down, that 5 star safety rating isn't going to be much help in a blazing inferno/wreckage.
This is extremely false.

Car seats restrain the infant in a crash, greatly reducing the chance the infant/child themselves becomes a projectile. By your logic, seatbelts should not be mandatory on planes either. Who cares if your head hits the ceiling because you werenít restrained?

A quick review of reports after various airplane crashes would support a very statistically significant increase in the chance of survival given the wearing of a seatbelt versus not wearing a seat belt.
chermorg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 18, 9:03 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: CLE
Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Posts: 3,498
Originally Posted by chermorg View Post


This is extremely false.

Car seats restrain the infant in a crash, greatly reducing the chance the infant/child themselves becomes a projectile. By your logic, seatbelts should not be mandatory on planes either. Who cares if your head hits the ceiling because you werenít restrained?

A quick review of reports after various airplane crashes would support a very statistically significant increase in the chance of survival given the wearing of a seatbelt versus not wearing a seat belt.
+1. Such ridiculous logic to say carseats won't help in a crash just because they won't help in a case where there are zero survivors.
ctownflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 18, 9:14 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
Posts: 402
Originally Posted by useyourname View Post
Can we get a breakdown on if all the children of age would have been in car seats, if there may have been anymore deaths? No way to know that it would have helped, or hurt others. Or maybe those children that did survive would have been added to the casualty count as they would have been in seats instead of on the floor. I can think of quite a few plane crashes where no one survived.
Are you trying to argue that children being on the FLOOR might have been safer than being in a car seat? I think it's generally accepted at this point that anyone, be it an adult or a child is infinitely safer when strapped into a seat. Of course, if there are no survivors then nothing will help, but many crashes are survivable by at least some portion of the pax, and being restrained in a car seat (to negate the enormous forces of impact) will absolutely 100 times out of 100 be safer than being placed on the floor. It's physics.
UTex09 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 18, 9:17 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Programs: UA 1K 1MMer ; Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott fake Gold via UA 1K
Posts: 6,205
2 Comments:

1. If there is not enough space between the seat containing the approved car seat and the seat in front to fully recline, then the rows are too close together. I'm surprised that the FAA would allow this, but what do I know?

2. I applaud the infant's parents for purchasing a seat for the baby.
wrp96 and UTex09 like this.
SS255 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 18, 9:22 am
  #37  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Programs: UA Premier Silver
Posts: 311
Originally Posted by SS255 View Post
If there is not enough space between the seat containing the approved car seat and the seat in front to fully recline, then the rows are too close together. I'm surprised that the FAA would allow this, but what do I know?
Seats donít even have to recline. A reclining feature of a seat is not an FAA requirement at all. As the FAA does not mandate (or even come anywhere near suggesting even) a recline feature, why would the FAA disallow a car seat merely because it makes the reclining feature of a seat in front inoperative?

If your point is that the seat pitch is too low in general, that may very well be something the FAA looks at soon to my knowledge. They may very well implement a requirement that carriers will give seating priority in ďextra legroom seatsĒ (if available) to those families with children who will be traveling in car seats. But until they actually implement and enforce a minimum seat pitch rule, thereís no mechanism by which they can do anything of this nature.
chermorg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 18, 9:23 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MRY - CNX - TXL
Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Posts: 7,056
Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
This is one of the few sane posts in this thread.

Infant car seats are rear facing only. They may hinder recline, but that's a necessary evil and approved by the FAA. Calling parents selfish for using it for the duration of the flight is uncalled for. Would you like the child to become a projectile during sudden turbulence?
Selfish enough to impact the comfort of others because they decided to bring their kid along...

Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
+1. Such ridiculous logic to say carseats won't help in a crash just because they won't help in a case where there are zero survivors.
I believe the other posterís comments were talking about plane crashes and the effectiveness of car seats in planes. Donít see how a car seat would have survived the 4U or MH flights...
chavala likes this.
JVPhoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 18, 9:29 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: CLE
Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Posts: 3,498
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
Selfish enough to impact the comfort of others because they decided to bring their kid along...

What in the world is this supposed to mean?

Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
I believe the other poster’s comments were talking about plane crashes and the effectiveness of car seats in planes. Don’t see how a car seat would have survived the 4U or MH flights...
Again, nobody is surviving a complete loss. What does that have to do with a crash that has some fatalities and some survivors?? Should the child be belted in or thrown around as a projectile?

Ex-attendant, Crash Survivor Lobbies For Child-safety Seats - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...nes_Flight_232
chermorg likes this.
ctownflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 18, 9:31 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BNA
Programs: (former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat, HH Diamond
Posts: 6,321
Federal regulation requires FAA approved car seats to be accommodated on US airlines so that comes first. How do accomplish this without, sometimes, having is result in limiting the recline of the seats in front of it?

Originally Posted by useyourname View Post
The only thing a car seat would help with is turbulence. If it goes down, that 5 star safety rating isn't going to be much help in a blazing inferno/wreckage.
Take a look at the Asiana accident in San Francisco. Everyone on board survived the impact. An unrestrained baby wouldn't have fared very well.
chermorg likes this.
LarryJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 18, 9:31 am
  #41  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Programs: UA Premier Silver
Posts: 311
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
I believe the other posterís comments were talking about plane crashes and the effectiveness of car seats in planes. Donít see how a car seat would have survived the 4U or MH flights...
If ďother posterĒ means me, my main point was that, looking at flights that are survivable by at least some adults wearing a standard airline seat seatbelt, a car seat (FAA approved) will greatly increase an infant or childís chance of survival over lap-infant, child in seat without car seat (only standard seatbelt), or any other form of transport - up to the age at which car seats are no longer recommended.

There is a reason car seats are mandated in (every?) most states for children up to a certain age - yes there are unsurvivable car crashes (T-boning a semi truck, for example) but putting a child/infant in a car seat greatly increases the chance they survive a generally survivable crash.
chermorg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 18, 9:34 am
  #42  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco/Sydney
Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Posts: 6,583
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
I believe the other posterís comments were talking about plane crashes and the effectiveness of car seats in planes. Donít see how a car seat would have survived the 4U or MH flights...
How about the Asiana crash in SFO a few years ago, or something of similar force to that one? I could very readily believe that such a seat could be the difference between life and death in a crash like that. (There was only one infant on that flight, who did survive).

Nobody expects a child seat to save every life in every crash - it's about increasing survivability and reducing injuries in at least some situations.
chermorg likes this.
docbert is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 18, 10:30 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: On the Road Again
Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Life Plat something
Posts: 634
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Nope. UA has several rows that don't recline ever on each aircraft type.

UA doesn't prohibit inconsiderate parents from being passengers.
And rows that are blocked out from children.
Dublin_rfk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 18, 10:38 am
  #44  
Moderator, Delta & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 27,831
Originally Posted by useyourname View Post
Can we get a breakdown on if all the children of age would have been in car seats, if there may have been anymore deaths?
The Feds have done the research. They're not amateurs. Review their work. (Your line of argument against child seats isn't going to work.)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14557157
UTex09 likes this.
3Cforme is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 18, 11:27 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MRY - CNX - TXL
Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Posts: 7,056
Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
What in the world is this supposed to mean?
Was there ambiguity? The parents made the decision to travel with their child which is impacting the comfort that another passenger paid for.

Originally Posted by chermorg View Post
If ďother posterĒ means me,
It didnít.
JVPhoto is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread