Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booking Round the World (RTW) paid tickets on UA 016 stock - Experiences, issues??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Booking Round the World (RTW) paid tickets on UA 016 stock - Experiences, issues??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:25 pm

Booking Round The World ticket with UA

Hello

I am trying to book a RTW ticket with UA. The airfare I am getting in United.com (and also UA agent) is $2500 more than the RTW I can book with the Star Alliance website (same flights, many with United). The problem is that booking with the *A website may not generate me a 016 United ticket and therefore PQD may not be credited into my account. Any experience with booking RTW on united.com ?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
There is a RTW thread somewhere around here.. and I think the consensus is that it can't bs booked on .bomb. Have to call.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
There is a RTW thread somewhere around here.
There's a lot of discussion about RTW tickets in the Star Alliance forum.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
RTW cannot be booked on United.com.

OP mentioned United agent, but not sure if all the UA agents are familiar with the RTW fare rules and conditions.

I book RTW a few times a year through my TA. Typically TA will issue the ticket on the stock of the airliners providing the first flight in the itinerary. I have now asked my TA to issue the tickets on 016 stock without any problem. Price of the ticket is the same on 016 versus other airlines.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
RTW cannot be booked on United.com.

OP mentioned United agent, but not sure if all the UA agents are familiar with the RTW fare rules and conditions.

I book RTW a few times a year through my TA. Typically TA will issue the ticket on the stock of the airliners providing the first flight in the itinerary. I have now asked my TA to issue the tickets on 016 stock without any problem. Price of the ticket is the same on 016 versus other airlines.
OK. I got to RTW desk at United, they were able to book the flight, a little cheaper ($150 USD) than star alliance all in United 016 stock. However, one flight operated with Air China they can only book that on Y instead of C (all trip is in C). They cannot see any availability for C in their system, however, all plenty of availability seats are can be seen in EF. Any solution to that? Can i just call Air China and ask them to upgrade to C?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by absdotan99
OK. I got to RTW desk at United, they were able to book the flight, a little cheaper ($150 USD) than star alliance all in United 016 stock. However, one flight operated with Air China they can only book that on Y instead of C (all trip is in C). They cannot see any availability for C in their system, however, all plenty of availability seats are can be seen in EF.
I believe the *A RTW business class ticket books into Z. Are you sure there is Z inventory on the CA flight?

Can i just call Air China and ask them to upgrade to C?
No. It's a UA ticket. Only UA can make changes.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
OK. I got to RTW desk at United, they were able to book the flight, a little cheaper ($150 USD) than star alliance all in United 016 stock. However, one flight operated with Air China they can only book that on Y instead of C (all trip is in C). They cannot see any availability for C in their system, however, all plenty of availability seats are can be seen in EF. Any solution to that? Can i just call Air China and ask them to upgrade to C?
It is a UA ticket, so only UA can make a request to CA.
I had this happen a few times with SQ. SQ flight's business cabin were wide open but SQ did not make RTW fare available on those flights. I had UA Global Service agent calling SQ PPS agent without any success. Although I was booked into SQ Y, in the end I called UA to switch me to a flight operated by another *A airlines that offered RTW availability.

You could keep trying to call UA to check if CA makes the RTW fare available up to the date before departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.