Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why is there so little space even with Mileage Plus for MP IK members?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

Wanted an economy award ticket for my wife between YOW and OKC - with Star Alliance - on specific dates around the last weekend in May.

That meant UA and AC. AC does not fly to OKC - so no awards with Aeroplan between any one of these 5 hubs - ORD, EWR, IAD, IAH, DEN - and OKC on the dates I was interested in.
Than I went to a fellow FTer who is a MP IK member. To my surprise, there was no basic award (ie 25,000 miles round trip in economy/coach class) that FTer with Premier Access) could find for me, that would be suitable for the dates I was interested in.

Why so few awards on my preferred dates - between any one of the 5 UA hubs and OKC on the dates I was interested in, and between YOW and one of the 3 UA hubs (that UA flies) - ie ORD, EWR, IAD.

Last edited by FlyerGoldII; Mar 17, 2018 at 8:55 pm
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Wanted an economy award ticket for my wife between YOW and OKC - with Star Alliance - on specific dates around the last weekend in May.

That meant UA and AC. AC does not fly to OKC - so no awards with Aeroplan between any one of these 5 hubs - ORD, EWR, IAD, IAH, DEN - and OKC on the dates I was interested in.
Than I went to a fellow FTer who is a MP IK member. To my surprise, there was no basic award (ie 25,000 miles round trip in economy/coach class) that FTer with Premier Access) could find for me, that would be suitable for the dates I was interested in.

Why so few awards on that date - between any one of the 5 UA hubs and OKC on the dates I was interested in.
Last weekend in May has the Memorial Day holiday in the US - not as high travel as some other holidays, but 3-day weekends are always popular, so not surprising that UA would be holding back award travel until closer in when they see actual bookings. Availability can, and does, change every day, so keep checking. Given its proximity, my guess is that routing via IAH would be your best bet, but you never know.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Is there any reason you're not just flying UA metal the whole way? I understand you may be looking to book through Aeroplan, but you may have better availability if you look through UA (apologies if I misinterpreted your OP).

I am not fully certain, but I believe that Premier status only gives you some extra award availability, and having Premier status and a Chase co-brand card gets you the full availability of award seats. On that note, I see saver awards on UA metal on Tuesday and Wednesday (22/23 May) on the outbound, but they are only due to being Premier+Chase Cardholder. There are even a spattering of AC operated first segments (allowing you to avoid the almost certain ERJ45 between YOW-ORD/EWR on the first segment by routing through YYZ instead) if you're looking for that.

On the return, there are no saver awards available even with premier+cardholder for any day before 29 May (Tuesday) and even that one is extremely sub-optimal as it involves an overnight in ORD.

Given that you are looking at paying a very small amount of taxes anyway, is there any reason you don't just book a one way award (if saver is available on the date you want one way) and then either pay the other way or buy the award later if it becomes available? You say you spoke with someone who's a 1K - if they book and fund your award travel from that account, you will not pay the close-in fee (I am assuming you yourself have 0 status with UA) if you wait until 21 days before (or sooner) to book. I am not sure (you only say fellow FTer) if you actually know the person and they would do this or not, that is up to them and you. You as no status would have a $75 fee to book the award flight (in addition to miles+taxes) if you booked less than 21 days to the hour before departure.

If I were you, if your travel was on Tuesday or Wednesday on the outbound and you're okay with two separate tickets (i.e. two separate change/cancel fees if you run into issues) for the two directions, I'd probably snag one of those saver spots for the outbound now and either watch and hope saver opens or just pay for the return. But that's just me and my preference to have things set in stone rather than wait if at all possible (and if this trip is absolutely mandatory, I wouldn't be watching and waiting).
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Chances are if you have specific preferred dates, other people have those specific preferred dates, which means less availability.
chermorg and Beltway2A like this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Because award availability - which has always been limited - has been reduced even further by UA in recent years.

And with all the credit card bonuses and churning, there are more miles than ever out there chasing an ever smaller number of award flights.
halls120, Often1 and spin88 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by chermorg
I believe that Premier status only gives you some extra award availability, and having Premier status and a Chase co-brand card gets you the full availability of award seats.
Having both status and a credit card does not give you access to any additional inventory over having status alone.
chermorg likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Having both status and a credit card does not give you access to any additional inventory over having status alone.
No additional inventory, but possibly less miles then? There is the occasional blurb on united.com that mentions "exclusively available because of credit card membership..." or somesuch.
Never bothered to read exactly what it meant though.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by narvik
No additional inventory, but possibly less miles then? There is the occasional blurb on united.com that mentions "exclusively available because of credit card membership..." or somesuch.
Never bothered to read exactly what it meant though.
All Premiers, as well as Chase cardholders, have access to XN inventory (much better economy saver availability)

Plat and higher have access to IN inventory (occasionally better business saver availability).

There is no affect on the price of the award.
chermorg and narvik like this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
All Premiers, as well as Chase cardholders, have access to XN inventory (much better economy saver availability)

Plat and higher have access to IN inventory (occasionally better business saver availability).

There is no affect on the price of the award.
Yeah, but why even mention the "exclusive for credit card holders" thing then?
Ahh, United IT, we love you so.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:14 am

Maybe because that's not what it says?

narvik likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
gotta love those marketing folks. 😉
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Maybe because that's not what it says?

Ah, okay, thanks for that.
So your description in post #8 in the way you used"as well as" is actually better than United's "and". "and" could mean both are required.
In that phrase a more accurate phraseology would be "and/or".
Or am I getting that wrong?
chermorg likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:58 am

Or am I getting that wrong?
It says both there because the member is both. I don't have the CC and I see a similar message highlighting only my status.

Access to XN is the same for either group.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. It is a holiday weekend in the US. That is when many people burn miles.
2. The economy is on screech. That means people buy tickets.
3. Carriers, including UA, adjust demand with availability, not by dropping prices. Thus, they cut frequencies and downguage aircraft before they chop prices too far.
4. By tossing miles around the way both AC and UA do, they create vast balances of miles which are chasing the same number of seats. That creates inflation in the same way it does when there is too much cash in the system.

All of this and a bit of good or bad luck can make all of the difference.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:45 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
I would suggest you keep checking. I find things may open up if you are patient. Of course, that makes trip planning problematic, but that's the game. I needed to do an LAX-MCO next week and the only options were 2 stops going thru Aspen and ORD. Then, SNA-IAH-MCO opened up. Or, the 25k per for the direct and nonstops. At over $300 one way, I chose SNA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.