Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Premier benefits on AC operated flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Premier benefits on AC operated flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
No bag waiver for *S on AC
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...olicy-g-s.html
Star Alliance Silver Members

Your checked baggage allowance (i.e. number of bags and maximum weight of each bag) will be equivalent to that of the fare type purchased.
Your Premier Silver bag waiver is only good for UA/UX operated flights.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!, TylenolWithCodeine
When entering your personal information, you will be asked if you wish to credit to a particular frequent flyer program, just enter you UA MP account and AC you learn of your status from that.

Does AC offer bag waivers for *S??

No - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...olicy-g-s.html
not that I’m aware of.

For AC prestige flyers, the *S equivilant in Aeroplan there should be, but according to AC bag calculator, it only applies to their program members and not *S. Silver will get very few benefits on AC - I don’t think even priority check in is included, the only thing I think is priority standby, etc.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by emcampbe

not that I’m aware of.

For AC prestige flyers, the *S equivilant in Aeroplan there should be, but according to AC bag calculator, it only applies to their program members and not *S. Silver will get very few benefits on AC - I don’t think even priority check in is included, the only thing I think is priority standby, etc.
About the only (and arguably for some more important than a free bag/seat/lounge access) benefit *S get universally is priority standby and reaccommodation in event of IRROPS.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Battlefield promotion on AC flight

Today I am flying MSP-YYZ on Air Canada, on an economy ticket bought on 016 stock, with my United *G status shown on the boarding pass. To my surprise, at the gate I was given an upgrade from economy to business. Hadn’t heard of such a thing happening on an AC-operated flight. I guess they must have had open seats after upgrading all Aeroplan elites on the plane, so then they started going through other *G members?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by rowenb
Today I am flying MSP-YYZ on Air Canada, on an economy ticket bought on 016 stock, with my United *G status shown on the boarding pass. To my surprise, at the gate I was given an upgrade from economy to business. Hadn’t heard of such a thing happening on an AC-operated flight. I guess they must have had open seats after upgrading all Aeroplan elites on the plane, so then they started going through other *G members?
AC does not 'fill' business seats. They're 100% fine with empty seats going out.
I assume it was an Op-Up with economy oversold.
silver_halide likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
AC does not 'fill' business seats. They're 100% fine with empty seats going out.
Craning my neck around to look at the economy cabin, I’m seeing a whole lot of empties back there...

And my AC app says Business is full but economy is available.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Not necessarily. I have been upgraded as UA*G on AC flights; most recently YYZ to EWR bright and early on a Sunday morning.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
has happened to me before as well. Can't find a rhyme or reason either.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 5:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I assume you were on 7736. It had 17 empties in Y. It was likely a weight and balance upgrade. AC does not do random upgrades. It's quite possible you were the highest status on the flight, and they had to move someone up.
silver_halide and rowenb like this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:16 am

There is in fact a *A policy on OPUP upgrades which typically occur in an oversold situation (i.e. Y is booked solid but there are still some seats available at the front of the cabin). Here's the rules per the guide:

If booking in a higher cabin class is required, preference must be given in the following order:
  • Carrier's own Gold
  • Star Alliance Gold
  • Carrier's own Silver
  • Star Alliance Silver
A little while ago I was in this very situation - original AC flight EWR->YUL was cancelled due to MX and later flight I was booked on was oversold. Ended up getting called to podium and being given the upgrade which on a regional jet is no big deal. In my case I'm a UA Gold customer so I would have been number second in the pecking order. That being said, it's always a nice surprise to get those OPUPs when you least expect it

Safe Travels,

James
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
There is in fact a *A policy on OPUP upgrades which typically occur in an oversold situation
Sorry, no. This policy is for IRROPS rebooking and doesn’t cover op-ups in an oversold situation. It would only apply when trying to prioritize multiple rebookings into a flight where there were insufficient seats available in the booked class of service. In an oversold situation, carriers are free to proritize customers however they wish. Some do give priority to *G; others couldn’t care less.

Since rebookings are typically first-come, first-served, it wouldn’t surprise me if this clause doesn’t get used more than once or twice a year. The agent would have to see, “hey, I’ve got 34 passengers with a final destination of XYZ, so let’s do them all in a group.”
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I assume you were on 7736. It had 17 empties in Y. It was likely a weight and balance upgrade. AC does not do random upgrades. It's quite possible you were the highest status on the flight, and they had to move someone up.
The Embraer (at least as AC flies it) seems to be tail-heavy, because I’ve been on a number of mostly empty flights where they moved everyone forward (into the preferred seating section of Y) for W&B.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi

The Embraer (at least as AC flies it) seems to be tail-heavy, because I’ve been on a number of mostly empty flights where they moved everyone forward (into the preferred seating section of Y) for W&B.
seen this on CR7s as well - quite a bit. I used to take a late night short-haul CR7 flight on UA that often had only about 10 folks in it. Often the while plane was told to move up to E+, and even F.

Not it sure about the Embraers, but the Candairs I beleive have the cargo/luggage holds all/most in the back, which means if there’s a low pax count, they need that weight in the front.

On the other hand, been on DH4s and the like where we had just a handful of pax onboard, and were all asked to move to the very back.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Flew AC from DCA to YYZ today. Got an upgrade to Business, out of the blue. Coach may or may not have been oversold - it was very full.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Flew AC from DCA to YYZ today. Got an upgrade to Business, out of the blue. Coach may or may not have been oversold - it was very full.
All the DCA-YYZ flights left with empty seats in Y.

7615 was the most full though. It's possible they did some opups and then had a couple no-shows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.