Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mile/Points transfers between UA & Marriott via RewardPlus - Questions/Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mile/Points transfers between UA & Marriott via RewardPlus - Questions/Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

I have 143k marriot points from my Chase ritz card and tried to transfer to United but the website allows max of 112k marriot points transfer.
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morerew.mi

How do I transfer the entire 143351 marriot points I have to United?

Thanks

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Aug 12, 2015 at 6:10 pm
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:48 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
I have 143k marriot points from my Chase ritz card and tried to transfer to United but the website allows max of 112k marriot points transfer.
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morerew.mi

How do I transfer the entire 143351 marriot points I have to United?

Thanks
You can only transfer in increments allowed. You will get better value in a travel package if you an save up more points.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NDN
You can only transfer in increments allowed. You will get better value in a travel package if you an save up more points.
Even if I am able to transfer all, the max bonus UA miles i get with 25% promo is 20k miles?

Is it per transfer or per marriot+united account?

I can do 112k and 32k points to get full 25% bonus?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:02 pm
NDN

Even if I am able to transfer all, the max bonus UA miles i get with 25% promo is 20k miles?

Is it per transfer or per marriot+united account?

I can do 112k and 32k points to get full 25% bonus?
where is the link to the promo?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NDN
where is the link to the promo?
on united website but max bonus you get is 20k miles , not so good
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:14 pm
NDN

on united website but max bonus you get is 20k miles , not so good
Sounds like regular RewardsPlus to me.

You could do 112k + 24k for 60,000 miles. Or get to 270,000 and do this:

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi
Old Mar 1, 2016, 4:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
MP Miles to Marriott Points

One thing I don't understand about this program - why does the transfer ratio not at least match for MP Miles to Marriott Points when compared to the reverse? Depending on the amount of Marriott points transferred, it seems to range from 4:1 to roughly 2:1. Why can you only transfer miles to points at a 1:1 ratio? Based on valuations, I would love to see a more beneficial exchange rate.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by jtmann05
One thing I don't understand about this program - why does the transfer ratio not at least match for MP Miles to Marriott Points when compared to the reverse? Depending on the amount of Marriott points transferred, it seems to range from 4:1 to roughly 2:1. Why can you only transfer miles to points at a 1:1 ratio? Based on valuations, I would love to see a more beneficial exchange rate.
Personally, I value UA miles for a good bit more than MR points, so the exchange rate is actually favorable from my point of view.

But, the only time I transfer points to UA is when I cash in a Travel Package. Then, the MR points are transferred 1:1 to UA miles, and earn a 20% bonus. Currently, there is an additional bonus that would also apply, so you could transfer 100,000 MR points to UA in conjunction with a 7 day Travel Package and end up with 135,000 UA miles.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 6:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Michilander
Personally, I value UA miles for a good bit more than MR points, so the exchange rate is actually favorable from my point of view.

But, the only time I transfer points to UA is when I cash in a Travel Package. Then, the MR points are transferred 1:1 to UA miles, and earn a 20% bonus. Currently, there is an additional bonus that would also apply, so you could transfer 100,000 MR points to UA in conjunction with a 7 day Travel Package and end up with 135,000 UA miles.
I definitely agree that the UA points are worth more, so that's why I'm wondering why I wouldn't get 2 or 3 MR points for every United mile I transfer over. As of right now i MP mile transfers to 1 MR point.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by jtmann05
I definitely agree that the UA points are worth more, so that's why I'm wondering why I wouldn't get 2 or 3 MR points for every United mile I transfer over. As of right now i MP mile transfers to 1 MR point.
Ooops, sorry, misread your post. Thought you were talking about transferring from Marriott to United. I now see you were asking why you can't get a better rate transferring from United to Marriott. Guess I would have to agree with that. Peace.
Old May 28, 2016, 1:19 pm

Does anybody have any recent experience with how long it takes to transfer UA miles to Marriott? Thanks.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 1:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
UA Miles to Marriott timing

I'm wondering how long it takes to transfer United Miles to Marriott Rewards?

I know generally people would say that converting UA miles to Marriott is not a great deal but we're staying at a very expensive Marriott property (over $1k per night) that has point redemptions available at a very reasonable rate in comparison to the cash price. Issue is I'm tapped out on ways to get more Marriott points cheaply this year. I however have UA miles to spare so am considering doing the 50k max annual conversion.

I'd like to wait until the last minute in case I find an alternative, so that's why knowing the timing is important.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 1:36 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dvs7310
I'm wondering how long it takes to transfer United Miles to Marriott Rewards?....
various upthread reports are days.

Originally Posted by dvs7310
.... I'd like to wait until the last minute in case I find an alternative, so that's why knowing the timing is important.
Don't wait too last minute.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 4:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
? Transfer of hotel points to MileagePlus

Dear All

After about 8 years of travelling I finally found this forum - this is my first post so please excuse if this topic was already discussed!

I recently started to think of transferring my Marriott/ SPG points towards MileagePlus and save United points instead of Marriott points during my hotel stays.

Unfortunately I could not find proper advice so far if this is actually recommended - is there a 'rule of thumb' when it comes to exchanging points or you won't recommend it in general?

This part of my wider effort to consolidate my point saving into a few accounts.

Many thanks & happy landings
Daniel
Old Feb 12, 2017, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Duck1981
Dear All

After about 8 years of travelling I finally found this forum - this is my first post so please excuse if this topic was already discussed!

I recently started to think of transferring my Marriott/ SPG points towards MileagePlus and save United points instead of Marriott points during my hotel stays.

Unfortunately I could not find proper advice so far if this is actually recommended - is there a 'rule of thumb' when it comes to exchanging points or you won't recommend it in general?

This part of my wider effort to consolidate my point saving into a few accounts.

Many thanks & happy landings
Daniel
Hi Daniel.

Welcome to FlyerTalk - Duck1981.

The use of points/miles is a pretty individual thing. I can try to help with some generalities, but some additional information would be helpful. A lot of advice will be dependent on what specifically you are trying to achieve.

A straight transfer from Marriott/SPG to United would not be the "Best" use of points from a strict efficiency perspective. But if your need is some miles to get an award ticket that is really important to you, it can make sense.

One of the best uses for Marriott points in relation to United is a Marriott Travel Package. You can redeem a pot of Marriott points for 7 night certificate in a Marriott PLUS a significant chunk of United Miles. The miles just go into your account, so no need to use them in conjunction with the hotel award. 200-270k Marriott points gets 7 nights in a cat 5 property plus 55K to 132K United Miles. You do have to use the 7 nights consecutively though, so works best if you are planning to stay a whole week someplace.

The FlyerTalk thread discussing all the ins-and-outs is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-packages.html. It is a long thread, so you may wish to skip toward the end.

And the Marriott page with all the specifics is here: http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

Hope this helps. If you have a specific goal or trip you are shooting for, let us know and we may be able to tailor the advice a bit more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.