Is United the Romper Room of Airlines?

Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by ijgordon
There is a "block" function on FT. @:-)
True, & yet here we both are responding to the post.

The OP asked "What say you" & well, that is what I had to say
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
These incidents have affected my travel on UA by a factor of 0 to the 0 power. You really think a legacy airline is going to go out of business over a dog and a front tooth?
You experience issues on 100% of flights? =)

https://www.math.hmc.edu/funfacts/ffiles/10005.3-5.shtml
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I think that the thread title does a disservice -- to "Romper Room," all of whose participants (adult and child) were well behaved, IIRC.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Getting serious for a minute, United does underperform financially relative to DL and AA. These incidents do have some effect. Not enough to threaten the airline's viability. But not negligible either.

I'm SFO based and I fly almost monthly to Canada, so UA/AC would be the completely obvious choice for me. But I haven't been on a UA plane in 5 years, even tho it takes me longer to reach my destination with DL. United has lost my business, and I am certainly not alone.

Ok, back to the jokes!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
Although I agree with some of the general sentiment that these incidents, few and far between, have limited effect on the bottom line of UA, I disagree with the idea that the airline couldnt eventually fail.

Consider the business corrolaries of too big to fail that we have either seen fail or seen wobble substantially through bankruptcy or the court of public opinion.

I think UA has a substantial image problem and the leadership and board should be highly concerned. Its never good to aim in business to be at the bottom in perception or delivery.

My my two cents - someone who only flies UA out of mostly necessity and has seen 70,000 BIS since January 1.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:36 pm

United is in business to make money. Management wants to make sure a return is profitable for stockholders. Customers are
to fit UAL's model.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by mmflyeraaua
United is in business to make money. Management wants to make sure a return is profitable for stockholders. Customers are
to fit UAL's model.
We are Borg?
Craig6z likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by onthesam
UA served 148 million pax in 2017. Are we talking about 3 incidents or 4?
Its not really a good day if your boast is nobody got beaten up, waylaid overseas or died.

I cant wait to see Saturday Night Live.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan

Its not really a good day if your boast is nobody got beaten up, waylaid overseas or died.

I cant wait to see Saturday Night Live.
I think it likely SNL will avoid it, given that a dog actually died. This isn't exactly Larry the Lobster material.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by narvik
...Thinking of going to the media with this latest fiasco that I experienced: on my latest Polaris flight last Wednesday there were NO AMENITY KITS supplied in J!!!
Can you believe that???

I predict Untied will go out of business in a few weeks because of this. For real.
Unbelievable - I'm going to quit flying United because someone I don't know didn't get a $3 amenity kit on a flight I wasn't on!!!!
I'm also going to sue for emotional distress.

Actually, yesterday was the first time ever that I haven't gotten my meal choice. About 20 upgrades were processed less than 24 hours before the IAH-LAX flight on a 789. I got a upgrade seat on my award ticket in the last row, which suggests to me a ton of paid 1k/GSs and maybe instrument burners were ahead of me. Choice was salad w/ Asian beef or chicken and shrimp jambalaya. Salad ran out before FA got to me. I'm gonna sue - and quit flying United.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 16, 2018 at 8:14 pm
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Nightline (ABC) is showing the Dr Dao dragging beating and video again tonight.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Unbelievable - I'm going to quit flying United because someone I don't know didn't get a $3 amenity kit on a flight I wasn't on!!!!
I'm also going to sue for emotional distress.

Actually, yesterday was the first time ever that I haven't gotten my meal choice. About 20 upgrades were processed less than 24 hours before the IAH-LAX flight on a 789. I got a upgrade seat on my award ticket in the last row, which suggests to me a ton of paid 1k/GSs and maybe instrument burners were ahead of me. Choice was salad w/ Asian beef or chicken and shrimp jambalaya. Salad ran out before FA got to me. I'm gonna sue - and quit flying United.
Shameful! They would have totally ruined your low-carb diet if you were on a low-carb diet!

But yeah, the only result of these incidents is that whenever someone I know posts something on Facebook about taking a United flight, someone else posts 'good luck with that United flight, try not to get beat up' or something else equally witty
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Friends don't let friends fly the (un)friendly skies.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Oh!

Now I get it!

Untied & unfriendly skies.

Just like on Romper Room!!!

Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Nightline (ABC) is showing the Dr Dao dragging beating and video again tonight.

Of course they are.
Oy vey!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.