Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A very nasty encounter with UAL employee

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by fastair
What does this mean?
Isn't it obvious? That she left out employee details etc in the post.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:34 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by malgudi
Isn't it obvious? That she left out employee details etc in the post.
it wasn’t to me, especially as she posted 2 threads, the other, with massive formatting issues (a copy and paste from some other software) then this one edited down a bit. Within a couple of minutes of each other, it appeared the OP was editing this as well. That dupe thread was deleted by a moderator. It was confusing, at least to me, in light of both posts being cut and edited. Was my question difficult to understand, so much that it wasn’t answered, but replies didn’t address what I quoted? Now in retrospect, that you all see it in the light that to me, was a possibility, I believe that your interpretation is correct, but at the time, with the dupe threads in different states of editing, it was confusing, so I asked for clarification on a specific, quoted line
malgudi and spin88 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by onthesam
Small item, such as a bag, not exceeding 9x10x17 is my read. The rule may be ambuguous but I am not "wrong". If they used the words 'such as an item that is 9x10x17' as you suggest, that would create an arbitrary size limit and make enforcement very difficult. This is not the first instance of a poster on this site complaining that their bag which exceeded 9x10x17 and which they had to fold/stuff/creatively adjust to squeeze into the sizer was not allowed under the BE fare.

And if it needs to be 'flattened' to attain those dimensions, it clearly exceeds the dimensions in the first place. And if it's not a 'personal item" its not allowed either. It appears OP had a series of personal items in an oversized bag.

Please show me the rule that states 'the item may be brought on board provided it can be jammed into the sizer'...
If it fits into the sizer without me touching it/holding it in, it should be acceptable. Why bother to have the sizers in the first place if this is not so?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
These days the sizers even have the dimensions written on them. Modern sizers are not intended to approximate the size of the area under the seat but rather they are fabricated to provide a 3D representation of the permitted dimensions of each axis (L,W,H) for carry on bags. In fact, some underseat areas are smaller than the sizer and some are vastly larger.

Here's a pic of the modern UA sizer that I took yesterday, please read what it says:

Note the height and width arrows and stated rule on the face of it.

Maybe those on this thread who insist the smaller sizer represents the size of the area under the seat can tell us what the larger sizer represents...

EDIT: many many many many people (pax and employees) believe sizer = size of underseat area. I'm guessing this is why UA now more clearly shows the allowed dimensions on the face of the sizer, along with the applicable rule.

Last edited by onthesam; Mar 18, 2018 at 1:51 pm
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Note the words "MAXIMUM DIMENSIONS," We need to be careful not to make up our own rules or spread misinformation on these forums.
Heh. You must be new to Flyertalk
onthesam likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: UAL 1k, AA Gold, Delta Silver
The sizers are available in the check-in area, so you can double check the size of your items once you get to the airport https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eCarry-On.aspx.

You still haven't posted a single reference to a rule that states that BE carry-on must fit in the sizer. I can show you 5+ places where UA states that BE (and other personal item) bags cannot exceed 9x17x10 including this graphical info prominently displayed on their website :

,or

Note the words "MAXIMUM DIMENSIONS," We need to be careful not to make up our own rules or spread misinformation on these forums.
This post right here is the key. Look carefully - there are two sizers. BE is only entitled to use the sizer for the "Personal item" (9x10x17)and NOT the sizer for the "carry on". So, if the OP's fabric bag (folded, unfolded, rolled or whatever) did in fact fit in the "personal item" sizer, then the employee was out of line. However, if the OP was insisting that her bag fit into the "regular" carry on sized sizer (and frankly, this is still the one most commonly found at airports) then I must -- however reluctantly - agree with UAL.
iluv2fly and chermorg like this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by BlueSky72

This post right here is the key. Look carefully - there are two sizers. BE is only entitled to use the sizer for the "Personal item" (9x10x17)and NOT the sizer for the "carry on". So, if the OP's fabric bag (folded, unfolded, rolled or whatever) did in fact fit in the "personal item" sizer, then the employee was out of line. However, if the OP was insisting that her bag fit into the "regular" carry on sized sizer (and frankly, this is still the one most commonly found at airports) then I must -- however reluctantly - agree with UAL.
She said per the original post - "She said, it won’t fit into the size bin for a carry on personal item, and I said – yes it would, let’s check that." Not arguing, just noting that she indicated the correct bin.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by PacificClipper

Actually it's EWR where UA contracts agents from the NJ Dept of Corrections. Or so it seems.
My mistake, and I agree.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Originally Posted by kb9522
This was over $25? Was it really worth it? For most people the value of the time it took to resolve the issue and submit a complaint about must be well into the $100 range and possibly even higher.

And what is there to even complain about if the bag was allowed at the end??
Well, OP did buy BE, so it probably was.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

I couldn't ask anyone for help, I was standing at the kiosk, and the place was a mad house (if anyone knows what LAX is like during the week in the morning). She was the one that started screaming that "I was being a BIG PROBLEM" AND SHE NEEDED HELP!! and said it multiple times, screaming it while people stared at me. I'm sorry, this kind of behavior to a customer is unacceptable, totally. How did I know that I needed to scream bloody murder like that to get help?. There were no signs and no help. Excuse me for reporting EXTREMELY RUDE BEHAVIOR on United. My bad was tiny, it had a very small laptop, a small purse, and a sweater in it. It was quite obvious that it would fit under the seat, which I kept telling her, but she ordered me to go and pay the $30 to check in my small bag (oh, yes, I really wanted to check in my purse with my ID and credit cards in it, so it could get lost and I would be screwed totally. She said "it won't fit in the size bins", and I said, "yes it would, let me show you." She said "I can't leave this area. NO !!!", yelling at me the whole time. I reported it to United, but they never sent me the $50. I kept telling her that was all that was in there, but she kept yelling at me to pay to check it in, standing there, pointing at the bag check, holding my ticket for ranson. She wouldn't process my ticket. I was getting closer to the time I needed to check in, and didn't have time to argue with her for 10 minutes). Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?? Unbelievable!! I reported it to United, but they never sent me the $50. I did describe her looks to them.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by doraine
I couldn't ask anyone for help, I was standing at the kiosk, and the place was a mad house (if anyone knows what LAX is like during the week in the morning). She was the one that started screaming that "I was being a BIG PROBLEM" AND SHE NEEDED HELP!! and said it multiple times, screaming it while people stared at me. I'm sorry, this kind of behavior to a customer is unacceptable, totally. How did I know that I needed to scream bloody murder like that to get help?. There were no signs and no help. Excuse me for reporting EXTREMELY RUDE BEHAVIOR on United. My bad was tiny, it had a very small laptop, a small purse, and a sweater in it. It was quite obvious that it would fit under the seat, which I kept telling her, but she ordered me to go and pay the $30 to check in my small bag (oh, yes, I really wanted to check in my purse with my ID and credit cards in it, so it could get lost and I would be screwed totally. She said "it won't fit in the size bins", and I said, "yes it would, let me show you." She said "I can't leave this area. NO !!!", yelling at me the whole time. I reported it to United, but they never sent me the $50. I kept telling her that was all that was in there, but she kept yelling at me to pay to check it in, standing there, pointing at the bag check, holding my ticket for ranson. She wouldn't process my ticket. I was getting closer to the time I needed to check in, and didn't have time to argue with her for 10 minutes). Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?? Unbelievable!! I reported it to United, but they never sent me the $50. I did describe her looks to them.

How about some paragraph breaks? I can not read this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I am astounded that a post from March 2018 is being rehashed in October 2019 over $50.
narvik likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by kettle1
How about some paragraph breaks? I can not read this.
Thanks for the clarification! I was really lost in the multiple posts.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I am astounded that a post from March 2018 is being rehashed in October 2019 over $50.
add me to the list!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.