Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A very nasty encounter with UAL employee

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastair
well, after everyone who lined up in advance. Those that came in on later connections, those in the bar, the club, or the bathroom, they may be arriving after BG5, as well as those that don’t feel like standing in a queue, but remain comfortably seated until there isn’t a line.
Fair enough. And, FWIW, the only time my personal item ever goes in the overhead is if I'm in the bulkhead. And I'd hope that any passenger, BE or otherwise, would be polite enough not to use shared space when it wasn't necessary, unless they were quite certain that it wasn't going to be needed by anyone else.

Still, nothing in the rules says that a BE passenger can't put a personal item in the overhead -- nor does anything say that a group 1-4 passenger can't put both bags in the overhead. It's impolite, and I hate seeing it (bulkhead excepted), but it's not against the rules.
fastair likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:41 pm

A few agents enjoy wielding their little bit of tin pot authority entirely too much. Maybe OP could have asked for a supervisor sooner, but she could not simply agree to pay $25 to check because her computer, protected by nothing but her cloth bag, would have been destroyed.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
It's just clickbait

Wow. Over 200,000 people fly through LAX each day. Perhaps 10-20,000 are flying United. And we're shocked that out of those 10-20,000 people there's one bad encounter that rises to the level of, dare I say it, clickbait?Look at the other UA "story" on FT's home page. Sounds like UA paid someone $1000 to move their feet, but if you read the story, it was about a passenger who claimed she was paid, but was spinning a tale.And what do moles really think of the mountains we build for them?

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Mar 16, 2018 at 6:20 pm Reason: Bad formatting!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Wow. Over 200,000 people fly through LAX each day. Perhaps 10-20,000 are flying United. And we're shocked that out of those 10-20,000 people there's one bad encounter that rises to the level of, dare I say it, clickbait?Look at the other UA "story" on FT's home page. Sounds like UA paid someone $1000 to move their feet, but if you read the story, it was about a passenger who claimed she was paid, but was spinning a tale.And what d
o moles really think of the mountains we build for them?
The front page is nothing but faux journalism from hack reporters that must get paid by the click.
Miggles and diburning like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by kb9522
The front page is nothing but faux journalism from hack reporters that must get paid by the click.
But what does that say about us, giving so much attention to the rogue UA employee?

It's been a quiet day here at my shop, but we've greeted every customer with a smile, including one who definitely came in with a real attitude, looking for an issue that didn't exist. My unofficial sampling would suggest that, out of 10-20,000 UA customers heading through LAX on any given day, a small number are looking for an excuse to give someone a bad time. Doesn't mean you have to react to it inappropriately, but sometimes the stories people tell can be very different from reality.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DCP2016
At LAX, UA contracts the agents out to the LA County Jail. Or at least, that is what it seems like.
Actually it's EWR where UA contracts agents from the NJ Dept of Corrections. Or so it seems.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onthesam
They should have handled this better (there's a recent thread about a similar experience at O'Hare). They could have better explained the rule which is that the personal item bag cannot exceed 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches in size, regardless of whether it could be "folded" to fit in the sizer.

That being said, its important to read the rules governing ultradiscounted fares. When the ticket was booked the 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches limit was made clear.

Sorry to hear about your experience. It seems that bad feelings follow BE customers who don't adhere to the size limitations and instead rely on stuffing their bag into the sizer.
Huh? If it fits into the space it fits into the space. If you can fold it into the sizer then you can fold it under the seat also.
iluv2fly and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:22 pm

I once also entered into an argument with the rebook agent at NRT UC. There was a weather waiver issued for my onward itin after arriving IAD from NRT and she refused to rebook me because the flight leaving NRT is on time. I kept telling her it's not about the flight leaving NRT and she didn't listen or change mind. Asking supervisor didn't help because she said there is none.

I ended up rebook at the transfer desk outside after a 10 minute wait because UA computer froze.

It certainly left me a bad taste about UA service. However, I arrived at my destination in some okay shape and with minimum amount of money spent. Thats UA service isn't it?

​​​​​
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by khkchan
Thats UA service isn't it?​​​​​
You could just as well say that's Japanese service culture, because you might as well argue with a brick wall. A very polite brick wall.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
I love playing this game!

What about an item that's 1 x 1 x 20.5? Is it allowed? What if you fit it in diagonally in a 9 x 10 x 17 box? Then is it allowed?
It shouldn't be allowed. Yes, it fits the sizer but only by going diagonally both ways--and on the airplane there's no back edge to the box and thus no way to make it stay put. It's going to stick out into the footspace. (On the other hand, I think something like that should be allowed if you have a non-exit window seat. So long as it's on the window side of your foot space it's not a safety issue.)
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Huh? If it fits into the space it fits into the space. If you can fold it into the sizer then you can fold it under the seat also.
I agree with you but just because a bag fits under a seat doesn't mean it complies with UA's clearly stated and well publicized rule restricting the size of carry on bags based on their dimensions.

The following screen pops up during online desktop site (non-BE) check-in. I'm not sure if it could more clearly state, in words and pictures, the rule and the consequence for not complying:

chermorg likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Wow. Over 200,000 people fly through LAX each day. Perhaps 10-20,000 are flying United. And we're shocked that out of those 10-20,000 people there's one bad encounter that rises to the level of, dare I say it, clickbait?Look at the other UA "story" on FT's home page. Sounds like UA paid someone $1000 to move their feet, but if you read the story, it was about a passenger who claimed she was paid, but was spinning a tale.And what do moles really think of the mountains we build for them?
Usually where there's smoke, there's fire. Chances are there's way more than 1 in 10000 people having a bad encounter. In fact, I pretty regularly see pretty horrific treatment of passengers by United staff and fight attendants which likely go unreported.

That said, I also do see other staff/FA's/pilots go out of their way to help/assist passengers, which also often go unreported, which is a real pity too - just as we highlight the poor treatment by some staff, we ought to recognize the commendable behavior of others with kudos.
onthesam and zymm like this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by onthesam
And if it needs to be 'flattened' to attain those dimensions, it clearly exceeds the dimensions in the first place. And if it's not a 'personal item" its not allowed either. It appears OP had a series of personal items in an oversized bag.
I actually witnessed this logic firsthand at DEN today.

In the Special Services check-in line, several patient pax watched as an unaccompanied minor unpacked a few items from a small backpack, including a helmet and a large, roughly 96 inch by 120 inch by 0.125 inch blanket.

The pax chatted among themselves, saying roughly "Oh my gosh, is that a blanket?" "Wow, that's big" "I don't know how that fit into that bag, that's amazing."

I was confused at why these pax were so surprised.

But reading this chain of posts I now understand. These pax were astonished that a 96"x120"x0.125" item was allowed to be carried aboard an airplane in a folded-up configuration. These pax clearly took the view that if an item needs to be "flattened" to meet the allowable sizes it is not a permissible carry on item; these pax must indeed have been astonished that the UM was allowed to fly. A fair point and a fascinating one to ponder.
ajGoes and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by fastair
Ok, so the part "The woman was xxx description, etc." was nothing? (That was my question, I thought I clarified it, but I apologize that I wasn't clear in my question.)
Why are you being obtuse? It's obvious the OP did not want to include the details of what the individual looked like in her post -- but which she included in the message to UA. Perhaps she couldn't get the name -- or didn't think to do so under the circumstances. SMH.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb9522
This was over $25? Was it really worth it? For most people the value of the time it took to resolve the issue and submit a complaint about must be well into the $100 range and possibly even higher.

And what is there to even complain about if the bag was allowed at the end??
To me, there are 2 angles:

1 - it is not all about money for many of us. If it is, why are you wasting your valuable time posting on FT on something you deemed irrelevant, time-wasting and generates no money for you
2 - if it is all about money, buying a BE then getting asked to pay the bag fee breaks the math

I hate complaining to UA about bad employee attitudes but sometimes the behavior is just way too outrageous...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.