Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A very nasty encounter with UAL employee

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Check in online, say that you will be checking a bag, print boarding pass, go to airport and not check a bag... problem solved!
Not going to work on a BE fare.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
We seem to be approaching near total meltdown with UA's frontline staff. They have had much of their customer-friendly discretion removed (probably rightly) and, at the same time, they are having to implement many more customer-unfriendly rules. This has led to customers taking a more confrontational approach and staff taking a much more confrontational approach. This directly leads to the issues the OP faced, and so many others also; and the rights and wrongs of a particular circumstance get lost in the stand-off.

The most saintly of customers now crack under the hostility of the staff and the most saintly of staff crack under the hostility of the customers. I don't know how UA can get itself out of these problems as, although they can (and should) re-train the staff, they will really struggle to re-train the customers.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
We seem to be approaching near total meltdown with UA's frontline staff.
I would not classify a few issues as a near total meltdown. So when a few incidents happen at United (i said a few instead of 1 in case someone points out they had an incident as well) we call it a meltdown.

Keep in mind that same term was used when Delta cancelled 3500 flights and passengers were stranded for days. Meltdown? Let's be a little more realistic. How about isolated incidents?

If UA's staff was 'a near total meltdown' then operations would most definitely suffer. I checked in at LAX this morning just fine. I did not see any staff in 'meltdown' mode. Thousands of people (hundreds of thousands?) fly on UA every single day without incident. And a few incidents in a week merits a meltdown? Really?

Last edited by laxmillenial; Mar 16, 2018 at 6:05 am
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
They should have handled this better (there's a recent thread about a similar experience at O'Hare). They could have better explained the rule which is that the personal item bag cannot exceed 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches in size, regardless of whether it could be "folded" to fit in the sizer.

That being said, its important to read the rules governing ultradiscounted fares. When the ticket was booked the 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches limit was made clear.

Sorry to hear about your experience. It seems that bad feelings follow BE customers who don't adhere to the size limitations and instead rely on stuffing their bag into the sizer.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onthesam
]They could have better explained the rule which is that the personal item bag cannot exceed 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches in size, regardless of whether it could be "folded" to fit in the sizer.
Is that really the rule? If so, it's unnecessarily punitive. The point is to make sure stuff fits under the seat. OP knew that the bag was required to fit under the seat, and it did.

From what I've seen, some UA employees really, really dislike BE passengers. (I've observed similar, although not as out-of-control, behavior at the check-in counter as well). It's as if some have decided that BE passengers are basically stealing a little bit of each employee's paycheck by refusing to buy up to regular economy.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by jsloan
Is that really the rule? If so, it's unnecessarily punitive. The point is to make sure stuff fits under the seat. OP knew that the bag was required to fit under the seat, and it did.

From what I've seen, some UA employees really, really dislike BE passengers. (I've observed similar, although not as out-of-control, behavior at the check-in counter as well). It's as if some have decided that BE passengers are basically stealing a little bit of each employee's paycheck by refusing to buy up to regular economy.
Of course it's true. Here's the text of the rule as displayed to those purchasing tickets:

One personal item is allowed. You are allowed one small personal item that fits under the seat in front of you, such as a shoulder bag, purse, laptop bag or other item that is 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches (22 cm x 25 cm x 43 cm) or less.
OP had to "flatten it down."
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
They should have handled this better (there's a recent thread about a similar experience at O'Hare). They could have better explained the rule which is that the personal item bag cannot exceed 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches in size, regardless of whether it could be "folded" to fit in the sizer.

That being said, its important to read the rules governing ultradiscounted fares. When the ticket was booked the 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches limit was made clear.

Sorry to hear about your experience. It seems that bad feelings follow BE customers who don't adhere to the size limitations and instead rely on stuffing their bag into the sizer.
Did the OP's bag exceed these dimensions?

BTW, what's wrong with flattening or folding a bag if the flattened or folded item doesn't exceed the size limits?

Also BTW, what was the OP's spouse supposed to check? A cloth tote bag? A purse? A small computer? A sweater? These items aren't suitable to be checked luggage. OTOH, perhaps the problem could have been solved if the passenger had been wearing the sweater.

Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course it's true. Here's the text of the rule as displayed to those purchasing tickets:

One personal item is allowed. You are allowed one small personal item that fits under the seat in front of you, such as a shoulder bag, purse, laptop bag or other item that is 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches (22 cm x 25 cm x 43 cm) or less.
OP had to "flatten it down."
Sorry, not only are you wrong in spirit -- if this is an exact quote, you're wrong by the letter of the rule as well. (Also, for Pete's sake, UA, use the Oxford comma). This sentence can be simplified to "You are allowed one item that fits under the seat in front of you, such as an item that is 9x10x17." Or, "You are allowed one item that fits under the seat in front of you" -- the way this sentence is worded, 9x10x17 is a suggestion, not a rule.

And if it is 9x10x17 after being flattened, it's 9x10x17. There's no other reasonable definition of size. If the bag had a telescoping handle, would you require that OP extend the handle to see if it fit? What's the difference between collapsing a handle and flattening the body of the bag?
diburning likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by doraine
Any ordinary person would have given in an paid $25 for a cloth carry on bag, after being embarassed and made into such a big deal like that.
This was over $25? Was it really worth it? For most people the value of the time it took to resolve the issue and submit a complaint about must be well into the $100 range and possibly even higher.

And what is there to even complain about if the bag was allowed at the end??
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kb9522
This was over $25? Was it really worth it? For most people the value of the time it took to resolve the issue and submit a complaint about must be well into the $100 range and possibly even higher.

The description of the item and its content suggests that it wasn't suitable for checking. It was a cloth tote bag (with no mention of whether it had a zipper on top or any way to close it security and prevent items from escaping during handling) that contained a purse, a small laptop computer, and a sweater.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The description of the item and its content suggests that it wasn't suitable for checking. It was a cloth tote bag (with no mention of whether it had a zipper on top or any way to close it security and prevent items from escaping during handling) that contained a purse, a small laptop computer, and a sweater.
This will be a little bit off-topic, but I'm genuinely curious...

Here's a hypothetical... A passenger at check in has some bag that is not suitable for carry-on per strict interpretation of the policy. However the contents of that bag are not well suited to be checked. Is it:
A) The passenger's fault and problem for not packing appropriately, and whatever happens during transport is their own fault
B) The passenger's fault for not packing appropriately but UAs problem to make accomodations
C) Not the passenger's fault (for whatever reason), but the passenger's problem (mail/ship, buy a new bag and come back, repack existing bag, or something else)
D) Not the passenger's fault nor their problem (again, for whatever reason)

I'm thinking perhaps a combination of A and C is applicable for that scenario... It's the passenger's fault and problem, but perhaps they should be allowed to leave the line, find a better solution and return (OP claims the first employee prohibited her from leaving the area).
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by fastair
I was under the impression that the AGENT couldn't leave (assigned area to go to the sizer, which IMHO means they need more sizers, at least 1 in each area) and that in subsequent posts, the passenger said she had to get to her flight, it was a madhouse, implying that the OP didn't have time to leave, find a better solution and return.
Okay, so option A applies in a hypothetical where OP truly was non-compliant. Or are you suggesting it becomes entirely the airline's problem at that point?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So here we have a conflict between a passenger who bought BE and had a slightly oversized personal item and a contracted check-in agent who had zero empathy or customer service skills. Bad experience results.

On the UA side, the problem is that some percentage of its employees and contractors forget they're in the customer service business, and believe their primary job function is to apply restrictive policies in the most punitive and restrictive way possible.

The flip side of that is that they have to deal all day long with passengers who are trying to skirt the various baggage rules in order to save a few bucks. I've traveled with these people. They are extremely annoying because they always plead ignorance when the truth is they are counting on no one noticing their bag is oversized or overweight.
username and DenverBrian like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:27 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
I'm thinking perhaps a combination of A and C is applicable for that scenario... It's the passenger's fault and problem, but perhaps they should be allowed to leave the line, find a better solution and return (OP claims the first employee prohibited her from leaving the area).
I was under the impression that the AGENT "She said, it won’t fit into the size bin for a carry on personal item, and I said – yes it would, let’s check that. She said they are way over there and I can’t leave." couldn't leave (assigned area to go to the sizer, which IMHO means they need more sizers, at least 1 in each area) and that in subsequent posts, the passenger said she had to get to her flight, it was a madhouse, implying that the OP didn't have time to leave, find a better solution and return. The use of "I" when quoting another usually refers to the other, not the person quoting the other, but the lack of clarity (omission of quote marks) by the OP makes it difficult to understand with certanty
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus

I think the complaint is that she was not treated well by a Employee representing UA (contracted or not). She felt felt victimized that the employee resorted to yelling and drew attention to her. I wouldn't like that either. At the end of the day it goes back to the compassion issues that UA is having in general which seem to be admitted based on their upcoming "Compassion Training".

Also, it seems like alot to pay $25 to check a bag that would clearly fit under her seat for a day trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.