Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Spring break travel: Allow extra time at San Francisco International Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since

This is new to me; maybe I've never traveled during spring break before. I've never had to arrive more than 60 minutes prior to a flight at SFO before; should I be taking this seriously? I've got a domestic 8:30am flight on Tuesday March 20, and wasn't planning to arrive earlier than 7:30am.

Did other airports get this same warning or is SFO expected to be especially impacted? Thanks-
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
should I be taking this seriously?
If you have PreCheck or priority security access, don't worry about it. Even if not, it's very unlikely to mean anything. They're just trying to avoid bad press in case some yahoo complains that they missed their flight and blames United.
Mike Jacoubowsky likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
One data point: very small lines yesterday around noon. YMMV.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Thanks, I have Global Entry so TSA Pre is automatic. This is a super-short trip, arrive Tuesday night, meetings on the hill Wednesday, leave 6pm for home. Point being, I've got to hit the ground running and I'd rather not miss sleep the night before I leave. :-) Sounds like nothing to see, move along.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:05 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by FreFly
One data point: very small lines yesterday around noon. YMMV.
March 14th wasn't mentioned in that Mike link/photo, his travel date is. I wouldn't take a day almost a week before the warning to be the same volumes as the days in the warnings. Also noon vs AM, when locals are checking in and going thru security are also not the same sample group either.

Last edited by fastair; Mar 15, 2018 at 11:12 pm
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:08 pm

I would only worry about it if checking luggage. I've never had security line issues at SFO between TSA Pre and Premier Access.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by blackllotus
I would only worry about it if checking luggage.
I would leave extra time if checking a bag. During heavy travel periods, I've had issues checking a bag at SFO domestic right around the time OP would normally be there (7:30 a.m.).

With Pre, security would not usually take more than 15 minutes, even at a peak time.

Though if you're concerned, get Clear and they'll cut you right up to the front. Best $79 (DL discount) I spent in 2017.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by fastair
March 14th wasn't mentioned in that Mike link/photo, his travel date is. I wouldn't take a day almost a week before the warning to be the same volumes as the days in the warnings. Also noon vs AM, when locals are checking in and going thru security are also not the same sample group either.
I got a message similar to OP but with the March 11--18 dates last week.For my travel time there was no difference from a regular week. As I said, YMMV.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
They posted one of these same notices for IAH last week for when I flew out on Saturday morning 03/10. I fly out of IAH often in the morning and can definitively say at least that day, it was like nothing I have ever seen before in the check-in lobby or the UC. Fortunately I got to the latter before the crowd arrived, but by the time I left just before boarding UA 253 to HNL I didn't even want to be in there anymore. Let's just say IAH at least during this spring break is a mess on some days. Perhaps SFO will be similar.

Last edited by gradsflyer; Mar 16, 2018 at 12:07 am
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:04 am

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
IAD spring break 2hr checkin 3/22-4/1

I got email for my flight out of IAD
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Thanks, I have Global Entry so TSA Pre is automatic. This is a super-short trip, arrive Tuesday night, meetings on the hill Wednesday, leave 6pm for home. Point being, I've got to hit the ground running and I'd rather not miss sleep the night before I leave. :-) Sounds like nothing to see, move along.
No bike?

David
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:30 am

How early are you guys getting these e-mails?

I plan to be there at around 3 hours for my Intl flight because I'm checking bags. It's a redeye (11:30 PM) so it'd be nice if I had a little leeway. Don't wanna be at the airport any longer than I have to. I don't find the United Club that much more comfortable than other places in the airport.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy
Good idea on UA's part IMO. Lots of infrequent/inexperienced flyers will be hitting the check in and security lines during the spring break peak. Plus lots of kiddos.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I got one of these for SFO, presumably for my flight on the 23rd. The dates quoted were March 19th - April 1st. Don't they usually recommend 2 hrs domestic and 3 hrs international? Maybe they just know most people don't really follow that and wanted to reiterate the point
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
When I disembarked at LAX from HNL Wednesday morning I was actually surprised by the huge number of high school and college-aged kids in T7's waiting areas. Traffic into Downtown Houston was also noticeably lighter - a sure sign of Spring Break.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.