Search

Buddy Pass - I nearly fainted

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
Now you got five grand to buy a ticket home! Lol
Originally Posted by br2k
I'd gladly trade my time for one of these things.
But if you need to get home you need to have your credit card handy to pay the full walk up price.

There is a thread of FT where some one got stranded for a week or so.

I know of airline staff who now do not use industry discount fares, due to unreliability.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Generally these stories are a large party that is unwilling to split up.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
But if you need to get home you need to have your credit card handy to pay the full walk up price.

I know of airline staff who now do not use industry discount fares, due to unreliability.
My time is *extremely* flexible. Hanging around for a week or even longer is a non-issue in fact might be fun in the right place.

So, where do I sign up?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
I’d nearly sell my soul for a buddy pass to go to London this November. I’m a broke social worker.

Go over to the credit card and manufactured spend forum and you’ll be able to see how you can get to London. Good luck
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by claaaaaydavis
buddy passes used to be awesome before capacity was cut and so many airlines merged.
UA capacity is up this year, especially in Hawaii!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy
OP, You may want to confirm with this new friend, but buddy passes used to have restrictions on business/first class. I seem to recall that either had to be traveling with the employee or were not eligible for long haul international at all. Maybe a UA insider might be able to confirm?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
The cost of such a buddy pass is not even close to $36.85. It is hundreds and hundreds of dollars more than that.
T/BE20/G and artvandalay like this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Gabdawg
OP, You may want to confirm with this new friend, but buddy passes used to have restrictions on business/first class. I seem to recall that either had to be traveling with the employee or were not eligible for long haul international at all. Maybe a UA insider might be able to confirm?
I believe this is the case... the employee needs to be accompanying the pass rider if the desired class of service is the highest offered on a given flight. In other words, an unaccompanied buddy can ride in business class on a three cabin airplane (where F is offered) but is ineligible for J on a two-cabin airplane. This may be for international only, but either way I would have no expectation of clearing a premium cabin on a domestic flight.

In any event, be prepared to fly in a middle seat, at the back of the airplane, if you get on at all. Buddy passes can be a lot of fun, as long as you are completely flexible and have no expectation of clearing in a particular class of service on a given flight.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by LarryJ
The cost of such a buddy pass is not even close to $36.85. It is hundreds and hundreds of dollars more than that.
yeah, if sounded low to me, too.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by LarryJ
I can only go off what she told me, I’ll see what she comes up with going forward.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I have traveled on buddy passes twice and I would never do it again no matter what the savings were, it was just too stressful.
cruisr likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
I believe this is the case... the employee needs to be accompanying the pass rider if the desired class of service is the highest offered on a given flight. In other words, an unaccompanied buddy can ride in business class on a three cabin airplane (where F is offered) but is ineligible for J on a two-cabin airplane. This may be for international only, but either way I would have no expectation of clearing a premium cabin on a domestic flight.

In any event, be prepared to fly in a middle seat, at the back of the airplane, if you get on at all. Buddy passes can be a lot of fun, as long as you are completely flexible and have no expectation of clearing in a particular class of service on a given flight.
I don't know - I have been next to buddy pass people in business on TATL flights not infrequently.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Fonsini
Not miles related, but I felt a need to share. I went out for drinks and a meal with some new colleagues today and it turns out that one of them is married to a United pilot. We started talking about travel and I explained that I was about about to book the following itinerary for my dream vacation in the Marshalls ORD—>HNL—>MAJ and that the only game in town for that itinerary happens to be United. She asked me how much it priced out at and I told her it was roughly $5,400 return in Business, with that she whipped out her phone and a minute later said “I can actually get you that for thirty six eighty five in Business” - wow, I replied, you would do that for me, that would save me nearly 2 thousand dollars. She shot me this strange look and then said slowly “No, it’s thirty six dollars and eighty five cents....”. I literally couldn’t believe it and yes, I am now waiting for my buddy pass.
Ignoring most of the other posts, what a nice thing to have been done for you.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
I don't know - I have been next to buddy pass people in business on TATL flights not infrequently.
Are you sure those were not employees or their dependents? Those are much different than a buddy pass.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Gabdawg
Are you sure those were not employees or their dependents? Those are much different than a buddy pass.
In one case, the woman told me her friend got her the pass. LHR-IAD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.