Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United mistakenly flies Kansas-bound dog to Japan (& vice versa)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United mistakenly flies Kansas-bound dog to Japan (& vice versa)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Was it Chrissy Teigen's dog??
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Was the dog named Toto?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:05 pm

Dorothy must be heartbroken.

Last edited by kalderlake; Mar 14, 2018 at 6:07 pm Reason: scooped
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
UA really needs to make sure they don’t screw anything up the next day or three. This was on CNBC today as ‘UA’s latest mishap’. When I see UA on CNBC except for Gordon Bethune reliving his glory days, it’s too frequent.

Given the debacles today, maybe UA would have been better served by booting Oscar early and putting Bethune in as a caretaker...
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
After the pet tragedy yeaterday, this thread did provide some comic relief. Horrible for the poor family of the dog that ended up in Japan but appreciate the humorous comments. You gotta feel bad for UA at some point with the issues of pets - in the cabin or underneath.

I am hoping that United stops transporting pets and animals soon , with the exception of true service animals with all the appropriate paperwork. The number of pets on my recent flights is getting ridiculous (and making breathing challenging at times). One of my friends was telling me today about the farting "ESA" dog that reated its butt in her lap for the 4 hour trip!

As all the pet owners and animal lovers are saying "Never United" again, I am going yes please "United all the way". Stop transporting the pets and animals and I will be thrilled to continue flying with United!!! $$$
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Had a friend on United 5255 this afternoon MCI-SFO and said there was a great Dane on the flight in the 4th row of 1st class cabin with what appeared to be a United employee.

This had to be the dog meant for Japan.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
United mishandled two dogs, not one. Irgo the German Shepherd is getting all the publicity, but the owners of the Great Dane didn't receive their dog either.

A 10yo German Shepherd is getting up there in age for that breed, United best give some extra TLC to Irgo making sure nothing happens on his return flight.

Maybe he will get one of those new Polaris seats that I've heard about.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The issue has been discussed before.
In 2016 DL & UA had a similar number of incidents and a similar number of total transports (just under 100K) but appears in 2017 DL cut their activity in half. Appears maybe much of that moved over to UA & AS. The lower rate of AS may be due to shorter flights on average as AS does not do TAPC or TATL. Hawaii and Alaska are their longer routes.
What? Your post is rather confused, but I think you're trying to say that DL has fewer incidents cause they simply carry fewer animals. However, UA's incident rate per animal transported is more than 4 times higher than DL's. So that's not the issue.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Hilarious!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kjnangre
What? Your post is rather confused, but I think you're trying to say that DL has fewer incidents cause they simply carry fewer animals. However, UA's incident rate per animal transported is more than 4 times higher than DL's. So that's not the issue.
No, that was not my point -- it is clear this year, UA's incident rate (while 2.24 per 10,000 transports) is almost 3x AA's, the point was DL had an equally high incident rate in 2016 (& 2015) and for some reason is now transporting 1/2 the absolute number of animals in 2017 vs 2016, while UA was 40% higher. Appears DL made a deliberate reduction in 2017 transports and perhaps in this reduction process has been choosier or done something else that led to the dramatic reduction in the 2017 incident rate.
AA also did a 60% reduction in transports between 2016 to 2017 but its incident rate stayed about the same.
AS had a 10% increase in transports over 2016 and its low incident rate decreased.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tikchik
Maybe he will get one of those new Polaris seats that I've heard about.
Maybe he'll get a bear!

Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Maybe he'll get a bear! ...
Giving one of those to a Great Dane or German Sheppard and it would not be a pretty sight based all the large dogs I have known.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:37 pm

Was it a Shiba Inu?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's a nice job for the dog loving employee assigned to babysit those dogs on their long repositioning flights in premium cabins.

OTOH, doing it this way deliberately violates UA's policy on cabin pets and hence as collateral damage further encourages customers to violate the rules about pets in the cabin. For instance, if UA can do this, why not *my* oversized dog too? I guess I'll just declare it an ESA so that my beast can get the same treatment. <don't worry, I don't have a dog of any size>
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For instance, if UA can do this, why not *my* oversized dog too?
You can. Just call up Boeing or Airbus and order your own aircraft, so you can make your own rules and decisions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.