Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Rumor] FA says "No catering on short flights" beginning April 1, 2018

[Rumor] FA says "No catering on short flights" beginning April 1, 2018

Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by joe_miami
All of that is still only 90 minutes, which isn't a long time for people to go without a drink or a snack. Anyone that concerned with hydration is carrying a water bottle anyway.
A water bottle is not very useful when the water in many airports is heavily chlorinated. Even in the UCs in ORD. The Clubs in US Airways had a good system that provided good non chlorinated water that you could use to fill your water bottles.

90 minutes is a very long time for some people to have no water. Diabetics.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Come on, airport water is too chlorinated? And diabetics shouldn't be relying on a third party to meet their hydration needs.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Come on, airport water is too chlorinated? And diabetics shouldn't be relying on a third party to meet their hydration needs.
Come to my airport (undisclosed location). Come to ORD (even the ice water with lemon in the F8 UC). Come to other airports. Maybe at your airport they have good fresh water that doesn't make you gag. Or maybe the water at your home is chlorinated so you can't taste the difference. Life was easier when you could bring filled water bottles through security. As it is, sometimes I have to run through airports (not my fault, UA bringing me late for my connection) so I don't have time to stop at an airport shop to buy water.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
As a data point I commute OAK-RNO on WN. Half the time no service due to “weather”, 1/4 the time water only and 1/4 the time full drink service. So far this year? About 20 flights.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Come to my airport (undisclosed location).
You're no longer Stuck In Ithaca? Haha.

Come to ORD (even the ice water with lemon in the F8 UC). Come to other airports. Maybe at your airport they have good fresh water that doesn't make you gag. Or maybe the water at your home is chlorinated so you can't taste the difference. Life was easier when you could bring filled water bottles through security. As it is, sometimes I have to run through airports (not my fault, UA bringing me late for my connection) so I don't have time to stop at an airport shop to buy water.
I guess I sympathize with such people, but I've had so many short flights that didn't have in-flight service due to turbulence that I'm having a hard time seeing this as a big issue.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
If you’re such dire need for water in a 45-50 min period and can’t manage to buy a bottle or because you can’t drink tap then lobby your airport to put in the filter water fountains like in SFO (even little MRY has them).
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
If you’re such dire need for water in a 45-50 min period and can’t manage to buy a bottle or because you can’t drink tap then lobby your airport to put in the filter water fountains like in SFO (even little MRY has them).
MRY sounds very civilized.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:11 am

MRY sounds very civilized.
“The world’s most convinent airport.”
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
Just a point of calibration to illustrate how pathetic UA is. I often fly GVA-ZRH on SWISS. That is a less than 40 minute flight. They serve a small meal of good quality. On the SFO-LAX route not only is there no real service, the flights are not reliable. UA routinely cancels flights when the load factor is light. And the short run BOI-
SFO is even worse. What is the word that is in vogue now "deplorable"?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Come to my airport (undisclosed location). Come to ORD (even the ice water with lemon in the F8 UC). Come to other airports. Maybe at your airport they have good fresh water that doesn't make you gag. Or maybe the water at your home is chlorinated so you can't taste the difference. Life was easier when you could bring filled water bottles through security. As it is, sometimes I have to run through airports (not my fault, UA bringing me late for my connection) so I don't have time to stop at an airport shop to buy water.
Buy a Brita Bottle. It's not the greatest filtration, but I've found it will take out 90% of the chemical taste. If that's still too much, bring some sachets of Crystal Lite along with your Brita Bottle. You won't taste the chemicals and you can reminisce about TED flights.
StuckinITH likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: UA GS, AA PLAT, DL PLAT, EK SILVER
Can we get back (or closer to) topic? I fly BOS-EWR frequently and sometimes you get a great crew (drinks, muffins, etc.) and sometimes, nada.

Assuming this is all just rumor?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
Just a point of calibration to illustrate how pathetic UA is. I often fly GVA-ZRH on SWISS. That is a less than 40 minute flight. They serve a small meal of good quality. On the SFO-LAX route not only is there no real service, the flights are not reliable. UA routinely cancels flights when the load factor is light. And the short run BOI-
and DL and AA would be just as pathetic, no? They don’t do any of the LX/LH type J meals on :45-70 flights either.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
I think you're comparing apples and oranges. The market doesn't 'demand' meals in domestic US 'short-haul' flights nor do the majority serve meals. In fact, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find one carrier that does domestically in the US (I can't think of one off the top of my head but I didn't think very long) The market is a bit different in Europe.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by SvenB1414
Can we get back (or closer to) topic? I fly BOS-EWR frequently and sometimes you get a great crew (drinks, muffins, etc.) and sometimes, nada.

Assuming this is all just rumor?
(bolding mine)

That's exactly what I am trying to find out too. With all the reports of the inconsistent service on these short flights with UA, it would be interesting to know if anything changed April 1?
Has anyone received a Stroopwaffel or other catering on UA's shortest flights since 4/1/2018?

For me, at least, it has nothing to do with whether I can go without water for 45 minutes, and all to do with whether UA has reduced service yet again.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by narvik
(bolding mine)

That's exactly what I am trying to find out too. With all the reports of the inconsistent service on these short flights with UA, it would be interesting to know if anything changed April 1?
Has anyone received a Stroopwaffel or other catering on UA's shortest flights since 4/1/2018?

For me, at least, it has nothing to do with whether I can go without water for 45 minutes, and all to do with whether UA has reduced service yet again.
No. Nothing has changed on the west coast. Sfo-lax; lax-sfo Still stroopwaffel in Y, snack basket in F, or morning scone in F.
No reduction or inconsistent services here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.