Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Rumor] FA says "No catering on short flights" beginning April 1, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Rumor] FA says "No catering on short flights" beginning April 1, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by laxmillenial

No. Nothing has changed on the west coast. Sfo-lax; lax-sfo Still stroopwaffel in Y, snack basket in F, or morning scone in F.
No reduction or inconsistent services here.
Interesting, although that flight may be farther than what the criteria might be.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
There's no way United is ditching beverage service on a 340-mile flight.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
Just a point of calibration to illustrate how pathetic UA is. I often fly GVA-ZRH on SWISS. That is a less than 40 minute flight. They serve a small meal of good quality. On the SFO-LAX route not only is there no real service, the flights are not reliable. UA routinely cancels flights when the load factor is light. And the short run BOI-
SFO is even worse. What is the word that is in vogue now "deplorable"?
if Youre trying to say UA is pathetic because they cancel SFO-LAX flights because ‘load factor is light’, I’m not really going to have less faith on any other points you make. Low load factor is oft repeated as a reason for canceling flight here, but isn’t really true. Yes, if there are ATC restrictions and a flight has to be canceled, it’s likely it’ll be one with lower loads, but there are so many factors besides this it’s barely a consideration in most circumstances. Fact is that it puts the aircraft in a place it’s not supposed to be in, a crew in places they’re not supposed to be in, plus it takes a lot of effort/cost to have to rebook pax. What happens when that flight cancels, and UA can’t fly the onward, full, LAX-SLC (or wherever), putting more pax, crew and the aircraft out of place. There are always many more factors to consider than simply low load on one short segment. Sorry.
ual744777sta likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
I had FA tell me nothing (NOTHING!) would be catered on flights 200 miles and less. In fact, he said they were going to offload any catering left from previous flight. Not even water would be onboard.

He said FA are fighting it, as they realize how quickly a "short" fllight can turn into hours on a plane.

Fine with no service in flight, but not even water on board? Sheesh ...
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by SvenB1414
I fly BOS-EWR frequently and sometimes you get a great crew (drinks, muffins, etc.) and sometimes, nada.
That unpredictability (service levels determined by crew whim, or whether the truck made it to the gate before push) is one of United's major brand problems. You never know what you're in for. At least if they zeroed all catering on sub-200m flights you would know you're in for nothing.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dorisrpas
I had FA tell me nothing (NOTHING!) would be catered on flights 200 miles and less. In fact, he said they were going to offload any catering left from previous flight. Not even water would be onboard.

He said FA are fighting it, as they realize how quickly a "short" fllight can turn into hours on a plane.

Wow! It took one month for my original post to be verified. THANK YOU.
But now I am wondering if it is the SAME FA that is spreading this information?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by narvik
Wow! It took one month for my original post to be verified. THANK YOU.
But now I am wondering if it is the SAME FA that is spreading this information?
Well, it's April 12, and no one has actually reported being on such a flight yet.

If anything like this does, indeed, come to pass, it will be interesting to see if it includes F/J on such flights.

I also find it hard to believe FAs are "fighting it," as mentioned above. They might be fighting to have some water bottles loaded, but there's no way the average FA would be unhappy if in-flight service went away on these short hops.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by BearX220
That unpredictability (service levels determined by crew whim, or whether the truck made it to the gate before push) is one of United's major brand problems. You never know what you're in for. At least if they zeroed all catering on sub-200m flights you would know you're in for nothing.
so when are the planes getting the new spirit/allegiant livery?

So instead of trying to fix the image...it is justified to lower expectations
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:53 am
Suspended

United isn't totally wrong here, though, if this does come to pass. If regional jets had been used on some of these routes from the start, there probably never would have been in-flight service in the first place. We're spending quite a bit less time in the air on these routes than we used to.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Well, it's April 12, and no one has actually reported being on such a flight yet.
True. Should have used the word "substantiated", not "verified".
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: UA GS, AA PLAT, DL PLAT, EK SILVER
My next BOS-EWR is in 1 week. I will report back.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dorisrpas

Which route? Offloading leftovers sounds stingy.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by narvik
(bolding mine)

That's exactly what I am trying to find out too. With all the reports of the inconsistent service on these short flights with UA, it would be interesting to know if anything changed April 1?
Has anyone received a Stroopwaffel or other catering on UA's shortest flights since 4/1/2018?

For me, at least, it has nothing to do with whether I can go without water for 45 minutes, and all to do with whether UA has reduced service yet again.
4/9/16 IAH-CLL (74 miles) E135/145

Received a Stroopwaffel from the FA. No beverage, but we almost never do, as this a very short flight. Once in a great while a motivated FA will blitz through the cabin with a water service, but that is rare.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:45 am

UA2034 ORD-CHS Sat 4/14 dep 07:45 blocked at 2h15 must be a short flight as it’s marked ‘refreshments’ in F. It’s an A319.
‘Meal’ consisteted of 1 muffin on a tiny plastic plate. No hot towel. No table cloth, obviously. Scott Kirby is having an impact.

Last edited by AirbusFan2B; Apr 14, 2018 at 8:42 am
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by SvenB1414
My next BOS-EWR is in 1 week. I will report back.
I did the reverse flight a few days ago in F. One tiny muffin on a small plastic plate and refreshments. Hot towel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.