Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Power outlet location issue for UA lie-flat seats (& short power cables)

Power outlet location issue for UA lie-flat seats (& short power cables)

Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I would blame Apple for shipping unreasonably short cables.

Apple is notorious for making each generation incompatible with the previous. I had to get a special adapter to be able to use my old PowerBook cable with my new PowerBook. I don't even know if anyone makes an adapter that works the other way.

Notorious, but somewhat unwarranted in this case. Apple's power connectors have, generally, a 4-5 year life span.

1997-99: Powerbook G3 adapter. Also fit the original iBooks.
2000-2005: Powerbook G4 adapter. Also fit the later iBooks.
2006-2012: Magsafe 1
2012-2015: Magsafe 2 (with a 1->2 adapter for $10).
2015-present: USB-c

Mac: 5 power adapter connectors in 20 years.

2002-4ish: original iPod Firewire - 30pin power.
2007-11: USB - 30pin
2012-present: Lightning.

iDevices: 3 power adapters in 15ish years.

EVERY power brick above can use a bog standard IEC-320 plug instead of the duckhead or Apple's extension cord. The exception is the iPhone wall wart, which can use any standard extension cord.

I carry one or two of the IEC320 cords. While it's perfect for OP's situation, it comes in very handy for coffee shops, etc. ( similar to
https://www.amazon.com/CL60410-18AWG2-SPT-2-Black-IEC320-C7/dp/B00IUSHP4I/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1521091994&sr=1-2&keywords=iec320+c7 https://www.amazon.com/CL60410-18AWG2-SPT-2-Black-IEC320-C7/dp/B00IUSHP4I/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1521091994&sr=1-2&keywords=iec320+c7
). Cheaper, and lighter than Apple's.

It would be nice, though, for the iPhones/iPads to also go to USB-C. That'd seriously cut down on cabling.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
I too use an iPad on flights. While my cords are long enough to reach the plug it is still a cumbersome experience having that and the earbud cord strewn about. So now I just bring an extra battery, fully charged, and plug the iPad into that. I can put the battery in a convenient location near the iPad so the cord isn't stretched across my body. I also use the battery to charge my phone so it is fully charged when I arrive at my location.

I've had the experience where the plug at my seat was inoperable (on a flight to Europe) and so using the battery avoids that potential problem as well.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Both iPhones and iPads have batteries. You'd think by the OP's post they didn't!

I plug in my devices when I'm not using them, and generally use them wire-free. Pretty sure that is how they were designed. How many hours are you using both these devices? Charge them while you are sleeping or eating.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, SPG Gold, et al
To the OP....while you may think Apple is the center of the universe, it isn't.

Granted, Apple is large enough to get both vendors and users to twist themselves into a pretzel to bend to their will, but it seems it's time for you to switch back on your common sense and try and solve your problem instead of complaining. I happen to like that little cubby where the outlet is situated....and my non-apple charging cables are plenty long enough.

As many have already posted....buy a longer cable....and then complain to Apple that their engineering sucks.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
I bring a fully charged and safe external battery. It covers over those situations when the power outlet, even if close, is not working.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:50 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Motivated partly by this thread, I wandered into the Apple shop at the local mall, and crikey, they want about US$40 for a 2-meter Lightning charging/data cord for my iPhone!
Old Mar 24, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Originally Posted by 1984SW
Motivated partly by this thread, I wandered into the Apple shop at the local mall, and crikey, they want about US$40 for a 2-meter Lightning charging/data cord for my iPhone!
If you donít mind using 3rd-party cables, I get mine on Taobao for 5 USD each and they go up to 2m which is quite long enough for me.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Both iPhones and iPads have batteries. You'd think by the OP's post they didn't!

I plug in my devices when I'm not using them, and generally use them wire-free. Pretty sure that is how they were designed. How many hours are you using both these devices? Charge them while you are sleeping or eating.
My thoughts exactly. My charged iPad will go ~6 hours without issue. When not in use, I just place it in the perfectly located cubby and plug it in, with a USB-C charger no less which charges it fast. I have never had an issue where I needed more than 6 consecutive hours on my iPad during a flight.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by mrswirl
For $20 bucks, I bought a tiny bluetooth transmitter to stream the IFE audio to my bluetooth headphones. That way I can move freely around the cabin without being tied down to the seat by cords. Works great!
Though this is really OT to the thread. I have been VERY happy of my purchase of this device (or a near identical one) to go along with my headphones (Sennheise BT). On long flights when I am semi-sleeping do not have to worry about cables. And when I am watching a movie and go to the lav, can just keep listening w/o bothering to pause.

Back on topic, this is one reason why I do not like Apple I-thingies. With my devices I simply have no power problems. Std cables and bricks/USB are all over the place. And batter life is enough that I never even really need them on even a TPAC flight.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
I actually like having the outlet behind my shoulder with the little shelf. I can place items to be charged on the shelf and not worry about them. I have yet to have a problem with outlets in the shoulder position dropping my 4-port USB charger while the outlets located near the front of the seat invariably drop my charger. The USB port located near the in-seat monitor seems to only provide 1.0 A -- I want/need 2.1 A for my phone or iPad (each).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.