Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Dog dies on IAH-LGA after FA supposedly insisted pax store dog overhead

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dog dies on IAH-LGA after FA supposedly insisted pax store dog overhead

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Please read upthread where someone said that some rows on this aircraft won’t fit approved carriers. They wouldn’t know this until they were on the plane. They didn’t void anything as far as we know. Even if they did they should have been removed from the plane, not had their dog put in an untenable place on the plane.
I had read that post but looking at other sources, they apparently flew in 23 B&C. Their fee to United stipulates that the carrier will go under the seat in front. Even if the underseat area was non-standard, they void the contract if the carrier doesn't fit there. The New York Post pictures give a better view of the carrier than the New York Times and it's not a particularly long carrier so it should have fit but here's the seat map:

Seats 23 B&C above should have had room. It's not Economy Plus but they are contiguous seats, not just the aisle seat and I don't believe row 22 had in-seat power so there shouldn't be any electrical boxes in front of them.

Seat map for UA 1284

FlightAware record of UA 1284 on 13 Mar

There was also a claim that they had turbulence the entire trip. I can see pretty decent turbulence for the last half of the trip but the dog was supposedly barking for the first 2 hours when the skies look pretty darn clear. Again, why didn't someone get out of their seat to attend to the dog?
So many people are in a rush to blame the FA and make sure she's fired immediately and never flies again. I believe she told the family to put the bag in the overhead but I very much doubt she heard them say or understood them to say it had a dog inside. I also question why the mother and daughter didn't do something after take-off when the sky was apparently clear and they should have been able to get out of their seats. It looks to me like the family made some bad decisions which were compounded by the FA not understanding them as she tried to get the plane ready for take-off but they're playing the "woe is me" card because everyone loves beating on United.
mc0107 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mhrb
I must really be missing something. Not really sure I follow the cause of death being related to being in an overhead bin.

There should be as much oxygen and temperature regulation in the overhead bins as in the rest of the cabin. They are part of the cabin and there is no seal, let alone a hermetic one. People suggesting there isn't enough "airflow" in the overhead bins don't seem to understand how diffusion works. Also, we know French bulldogs aren't allowed in cargo holds because they're brachycephalic and this condition is exacerbated by stress. Being shoved in a noisier area under the seat would surely be more stressful to an animal than the more quiet and dark area in the overhead bins.
Next time you fly, bring something smelly (it doesn't have to be a bad odor - it could be flowers) in your bag and put it in the closed overhead, then compare the strength of the odor in the cabin and in the overhead after about 3 hours. The OHB isn't sealed, but it's not designed for good exchange with the cabin, either.

Consider also that with a dog its respiration is consuming oxygen and emitting CO2 - it leaves the static pressure of the OHB constant while changing the composition so it's only the only the partial-pressure difference (or chemical potential, depending on how you like to do things) driving the gas exchange. There's effectively no convection. Now add in that the oxygen partial pressure is already reduced by about 30% in the cabin compared to sea level. So the O2 level could easily drop to about 60% or less of the sea level value that the dog is used to. Add in that the dog may be panicked and respiring faster than normal, plus it has restricted airways and doesn't breathe all that well to start and it's a recipe for a bad outcome.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat; AS MVP Gold; BA Silver; LATAM Black; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Plat; GHA Plat
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
... because everyone loves beating on United.
Actually, it's United which loves beating [up] everyone -- passengers, dogs, you name it.

Interesting aspect: assuming that the FA was negligent, and with no intent to harm the animal, would animal cruelty laws come into play?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:31 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by geo979
If these types of dogs are so delicate, why did their owners force them to fly on an airplane in the first place? Cruel dog owner.
My vet (ok, my pet's vet) told me she, as an animal lover, believes Frech bulldogs should be extinct because their existence is a crime.
But as a vet, running a business, she welcomes more and more people having these problematic dogs - more work for her.
And it is very hard to conciliate both sides...
Loren Pechtel and zymm like this.

Last edited by HMO; Mar 16, 2018 at 2:37 pm
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Italian_Kayaker
Interesting aspect: assuming that the FA was negligent, and with no intent to harm the animal, would animal cruelty laws come into play?
I think any prosecution of the FA and/or United would depend on 1) proving the FA had knowledge there was a dog in the carrier and/or placing the carrier in the OHB herself, and b) a member of the crew prevented the passenger from removing the carrier from the OHB and/or checking on the welfare of the dog during the flight.

Otherwise, I think prosecutors (and legislators) are trolling for votes by looking at this case.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Italian_Kayaker
The Texas animal cruelty law (Texas PC § 42.092) penalizes reckless conduct. Reckless is more than negligent. Recklessness is defined under the Texas Penal Code as "consciously disregards a substantial and unjustifiable risk." So the prosecutor would have to establish the FA knew there was a dog in the bag.

New York's animal cruelty laws are rather archaic and less clear. But misdemeanor cruelty can be established based on negligence. There is a detailed discussion of the law here: http://www.potsdamhumanesociety.org/...PCA_NYlaws.pdf
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium
I had read that post but looking at other sources, they apparently flew in 23 B&C. Their fee to United stipulates that the carrier will go under the seat in front. Even if the underseat area was non-standard, they void the contract if the carrier doesn't fit there. The New York Post pictures give a better view of the carrier than the New York Times and it's not a particularly long carrier so it should have fit but here's the seat map:

Seats 23 B&C above should have had room. It's not Economy Plus but they are contiguous seats, not just the aisle seat and I don't believe row 22 had in-seat power so there shouldn't be any electrical boxes in front of them.

Seat map for UA 1284

FlightAware record of UA 1284 on 13 Mar

There was also a claim that they had turbulence the entire trip. I can see pretty decent turbulence for the last half of the trip but the dog was supposedly barking for the first 2 hours when the skies look pretty darn clear. Again, why didn't someone get out of their seat to attend to the dog?
So many people are in a rush to blame the FA and make sure she's fired immediately and never flies again. I believe she told the family to put the bag in the overhead but I very much doubt she heard them say or understood them to say it had a dog inside. I also question why the mother and daughter didn't do something after take-off when the sky was apparently clear and they should have been able to get out of their seats. It looks to me like the family made some bad decisions which were compounded by the FA not understanding them as she tried to get the plane ready for take-off but they're playing the "woe is me" card because everyone loves beating on United.
i own the same carrier and a couple pages back, i commented that the economy seats in the 737-700 is the only plane in united's fleet in which the bag won't fit. it's a soft bag and even folding down the sides just doesn't work. the measurements united has on its website are accurate and generous, but not for this plane. when i was trying to fit this bag under the seat in front of me a few months back (i think on the very same flight #), i was informed i was upgraded. but if i weren't, i would have deplaned and figured out another option. so, spread the word to those who travel with pets to avoid united's -700 in economy.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HMO
My vet (ok, my pet's vet) told me she, as an animal lover, believes Frech bulldogs should be extinct because their existence is a crime.
But as a vet, running a business, she welcomes more and more people having these problematic dogs - more work for her.
And it is very hard to conciliate both sides...
An inquisitive reporter might ask the dead dog's owner whether she knew anything about the breathing problems of French bulldogs. Does anyone just randomly buy such a breed, or would you typically go into it with your eyes wide open? If it's something you'd know, it seems insane (instead of just stupid) that you'd put your dog in an overhead bin and forget it for 3+ hours. I mean, really.

Nice research, Explorer. I'm pretty sure most reporters aren't interested in asking this question. But it's a pertinent one. The evidence would suggest that the dog's owner wasn't very interested in checking on her dog. If you're inclined to be sympathetic, maybe she was "terrified" of crossing the flight attendant -- who she presumably thought was making her keep the dog in the bin. That the type of bad choice that often leads to these weird situations. Regardless, it's certainly an odd fact pattern, and the dog owner (or her daughter, I can't remember which) is exaggerating about the turbulence.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
+1

Understand the business argument that pets make good revenue for UA, but I think the claims for compensation for dead animals must soon outweigh the benefits of the additional fees.

Does anyone know if there is a domestic or international airline that does not accept animals in the cabin?
Good point about cost/benefit. Due to all the issues/potential litigation around pets flying, perhaps airlines should raise the fee to accept a pet to a more reasonable amout...like $500 each way.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by iahphx
An inquisitive reporter might ask the dead dog's owner whether she knew anything about the breathing problems of French bulldogs. Does anyone just randomly buy such a breed, or would you typically go into it with your eyes wide open? If it's something you'd know, it seems insane (instead of just stupid) that you'd put your dog in an overhead bin and forget it for 3+ hours. I mean, really.

Nice research, Explorer. I'm pretty sure most reporters aren't interested in asking this question. But it's a pertinent one. The evidence would suggest that the dog's owner wasn't very interested in checking on her dog. If you're inclined to be sympathetic, maybe she was "terrified" of crossing the flight attendant -- who she presumably thought was making her keep the dog in the bin. That the type of bad choice that often leads to these weird situations. Regardless, it's certainly an odd fact pattern, and the dog owner (or her daughter, I can't remember which) is exaggerating about the turbulence.
It's not at all uncommon for pilots on US airlines to leave the seat belt sign on for a long time after takeoff, either saying nothing at all or saying "there might be a bump somewhere within 500 miles of us, so please stay seated". Infrequent fliers often take that seat belt sign seriously. I don't think it's at all fair to say that the passenger should have ignored crew member instructions (either direct verbal instructions to put the bag in the overhead bin or the seat belt sign). It was obviously wrong with 20/20 hindsight, but that doesn't say much. And dealing with an infant in flight isn't easy.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by nanami
It does not matter if the passenger speaks with accent. My mother speaks very limited English. Yet if she was told to put her dog in the overhead, she would fight her way. Even if the passenger did not know the word "dog," she could've simply show what was inside the bag. I really doubt FA wasn't aware of the fact it was a dog. I don't think it was completely FA's fault as the passenger should've refused no matter what. But such request should never be made in the first place. I had some FAs who insisted putting away my shopping bag in the closet instead of overhead simply because they saw I picked up an Hermes bag while traveling. If some think overhead bin isn't safe for an expensive item made with skin of a dead animal, how can it be a suitable spot for a live dog?
oooh. Hermes.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ashill
It's not at all uncommon for pilots on US airlines to leave the seat belt sign on for a long time after takeoff, either saying nothing at all or saying "there might be a bump somewhere within 500 miles of us, so please stay seated". Infrequent fliers often take that seat belt sign seriously. I don't think it's at all fair to say that the passenger should have ignored crew member instructions (either direct verbal instructions to put the bag in the overhead bin or the seat belt sign). It was obviously wrong with 20/20 hindsight, but that doesn't say much. And dealing with an infant in flight isn't easy.
If you had a dog breed with a known breathing problem (a puppy no less), would you do nothing just because the seat belt sign was on? Sure, it's possible, but honestly, this woman was a fool unless she somehow knew nothing about type of dog she owned. I'm always inclined to be sympathetic to infrequent flyers and their woes, but this is nuts. I'd also note that the family's claim was turbulence, not a seat belt light. I guess you could give her the benefit of the doubt about "word choice," but then why is nobody giving the flight attendant the benefit of the doubt?

EDIT: BTW, do we know that the dog owner was actually an infrequent flyer? To think that she is just because she was a Spanish speaker with a baby seems to be stereotyping. And I assume this dog would be an expensive breed?

Last edited by iahphx; Mar 16, 2018 at 3:10 pm Reason: more
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Sure, it's possible, but honestly, this woman was a fool unless she somehow knew nothing about type of dog she owned.
Very easy for you to say with internet anonymity.

Blame the victim reaches new lows.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
If you had a dog breed with a known breathing problem (a puppy no less), would you do nothing just because the seat belt sign was on? Sure, it's possible, but honestly, this woman was a fool unless she somehow knew nothing about type of dog she owned. I'm always inclined to be sympathetic to infrequent flyers and their woes, but this is nuts. I'd also note that the family's claim was turbulence, not a seat belt light. I guess you could give her the benefit of the doubt about "word choice," but then why is nobody giving the flight attendant the benefit of the doubt?

EDIT: BTW, do we know that the dog owner was actually an infrequent flyer? To think that she is just because she was a Spanish speaker with a baby seems to be stereotyping. And I assume this dog would be an expensive breed?
I think row 23 is a good sign.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Very easy for you to say with internet anonymity.

Blame the victim reaches new lows.
Do you think otherwise? Wouldn't this be the equivalent of taking your grandma who has breathing trouble up a 12.000 foot mountain without taking precautions? Or walking across a busy highway without looking for traffic?

I mean, it's not hard to reach a conclusion that terrible choices were made here (assuming, as I said, that she knew anything about the dog breed she owned).

And despite your theatrics, I'm not "blaming the victim." The big mistake was made by the flight attendant, who didn't listen to the passenger. But had the passenger not, apparently, acted foolishly, her dog would likely still be alive. In the law, of course, you take your victims as you find them (the famous "eggshell plaintiff").

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.