Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Dog dies on IAH-LGA after FA supposedly insisted pax store dog overhead

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dog dies on IAH-LGA after FA supposedly insisted pax store dog overhead

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Not excusing UA or its FAs, but people need to stop bringing fido on every trip. Yes, there are some circumstances (i.e. moving long distance) when you don't have other options but there is no need to bring fluffy on your vacations - pet will be happier at home. Assuming this is not a fake ESA though you never know and if so then not much ES support from the overhead.

UA is lucky that the animal did not urinate or defacate - I don't think I would react well if a drip starts midflight over my aisle seat.
Hope this thread will end....this post says it's time....maybe some humanity would help.....
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by flyerslc

June Lara
20 hours agoToday, I boarded my first United Airlines flight.

On my way, I saw a Frenchie that looked identical to my own precious Winston. He was with his family - a young girl, no older than 8, her toddler sibling and their mother. He was meant to grow, learn, cry, play with those young children and be their furry friend. He was meant to live a long life filling that family's days with that special joy that only a dog can bring.

I sat behind the family of three and thought myself lucky - who doesn't when they get to sit near a puppy? However, the flight attendants of flight UA1284 felt that the innocent animal was better off crammed inside the overhead container without air and water. They INSISTED that the puppy be locked up for three hours without any kind of airflow. They assured the safety of the family's pet so wearily, the mother agreed.

There was no sound as we landed and opened his kennel. There was no movement as his family called his name. I held her baby as the mother attempted to resuscitate their 10 month old puppy. I cried with them three minutes later as she sobbed over his lifeless body. My heart broke with theirs as I realized he was gone.

The Humane Society of the U.S. says air travel can be risky for pets and especially dangerous for brachycephalic breeds — such as pugs or bulldogs, whose short nasal passages make them vulnerable to oxygen deprivation and heat stroke. This little guy fought hard for his life, filling our flight with his cries until he finally ran out of breath. United Airlines does not care about the safety of their furry travelers. This poor family paid $125 for their pet to be murdered in front of them. There is no excuse for the pain this family is suffering.

Today, I boarded my last United Airlines flight.

R.I.P Papacito

This is so incredibly sad. And, if true, incredibly scary. I know UA is responsible as it is the FA's employer (same as any employer is responsible for employee's actions, or dog owner for dog or parent for child) but there is seriously something wrong this FA or FAs. I understand power trips but this goes way beyond that. It is so demented that I have a hard time believing it to be true. Though I am not saying it is not. I am just shocked that a FA or anyone for that matter would suggest this.

I also don't understand though why no one checked on the dog unless told not to. I am not blaming the owners.

I just want to cry for the dog and this family. This suffering and death was so unnecessary.
KansasMike likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I thought the other passenger was the teenaged daughter? Now that person is 8 years old. If that person relaying the story knew that that type of dog had breathing problems why didn’t she say something to the FA or the Mom. Why didn’t she check on the dog. I really can’t believe nobody checked. The weird thing is that when I am on flights there are always people getting up, opening overheads, retrieving things and this flight went for three hours with nobody checking on the dog.

There are are things missing from this story. Just looking at the huge Gucci bag in the picture of the family I wonder where that bag was stored. I’d get off that plane before I ever put my dog in an overhead.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
The only way I can make sense of this, it seems like the result of an unfortunate series of events between a stressed out FA and an inexperienced, overwhelmed pax. Pax has lots of stuff, doesn't know they can't block the aisle. The particular item that's blocking the aisle is the dog carrier. FA sees what looks like a large duffel bag and fixates on that as the problem. The usual solution to stuff blocking the aisle is the overhead, so FA tells pax bag must go up. Pax protests, but FA doesn't really listen, as people protest a lot about luggage. Pax doesn't realize that the aisle is the main issue, and therefore it never occurs to them to pass up a different piece of luggage or just try to move the carrier fully under the seat. It's poor communication on the part of the FA, and the pax wasn't familiar enough with flying to figure out exactly what was going on and what to do about it.
Definitely the FAs fault that the dog ended up in the bin, which is all that matters for legal/PR reasons. I don't think there can be any criminal action for animal cruelty without intent, otherwise they would be prosecuting everyone who accidentally runs over a dog in traffic. I will probably always be baffled that the pax didn't check on the dog, I can only think she was overwhelmed at that point.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
Can you provide some citations for that?
It’s not exactly rare to see news reports about people arrested, beaten, and/or imprisoned for disobeying FAs or GAs.
KansasMike likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mauve
It’s not exactly rare to see news reports about people arrested, beaten, and/or imprisoned for disobeying FAs or GAs.
Well then would you care to provide any? (barring the Dr. Dao one that has been beaten to death around here, pardon the pun, especially since as we all know it wasn't actually United employees that did the worst in that incident).
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Well then would you care to provide any? (barring the Dr. Dao one that has been beaten to death around here, pardon the pun, especially since as we all know it wasn't actually United employees that did the worst in that incident).
There are examples on the front page of FT on a weekly basis.

Alternatively, although I am not a lawyer, it’s pretty clear that 49 USC 46504 is intended to make disobeying any substantive flight crew instruction a felony punishable by 20 years in prison.
KansasMike likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by zymm
The only way I can make sense of this, it seems like the result of an unfortunate series of events between a stressed out FA and an inexperienced, overwhelmed pax. Pax has lots of stuff, doesn't know they can't block the aisle. The particular item that's blocking the aisle is the dog carrier. FA sees what looks like a large duffel bag and fixates on that as the problem. The usual solution to stuff blocking the aisle is the overhead, so FA tells pax bag must go up. Pax protests, but FA doesn't really listen, as people protest a lot about luggage. Pax doesn't realize that the aisle is the main issue, and therefore it never occurs to them to pass up a different piece of luggage or just try to move the carrier fully under the seat. It's poor communication on the part of the FA, and the pax wasn't familiar enough with flying to figure out exactly what was going on and what to do about it.
Definitely the FAs fault that the dog ended up in the bin, which is all that matters for legal/PR reasons. I don't think there can be any criminal action for animal cruelty without intent, otherwise they would be prosecuting everyone who accidentally runs over a dog in traffic. I will probably always be baffled that the pax didn't check on the dog, I can only think she was overwhelmed at that point.
this is exactly what I think happened and what I have been saying unthread. Absent more evidence otherwise, I just can’t imagine a FA deliberately putting a dog in the overhead.

UA liability is not mitigated by the fact the FA didn’t actually know what they were requesting, as you point out. And UAs legal/PR team knows this and realizes that the story is terribly sad and should be handled quickly and openly.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by daisyatl
...there is seriously something wrong (with) this FA or FAs. I understand power trips but this goes way beyond that. It is so demented that I have a hard time believing it to be true... I am just shocked that a FA or anyone for that matter would suggest this.
I have no trouble believing an FA ordered the dog stowed in the overhead without understanding the consequences. We have all seen FAs assert things that are not true and make up rules. We have all seen them intimidate pax into compliance. Some UA cabin staff are laws unto themselves. Maybe this incident will finally inspire the company to do something about it.

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
UA liability is not mitigated by the fact the FA didn’t actually know what they were requesting, as you point out. And UAs legal/PR team knows this and realizes that the story is terribly sad and should be handled quickly and openly.
UA is already paying a high price in the reputational arena, because this case aligns so well with the prevailing meta-narrative in the culture about United Airlines. United breaks guitars, beats passengers, freezes giant rabbits to death, and now murders dogs via FA brutality / incompetence. That's the storyline, fair or not. They sure haven't done much to counter it.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

This may have already been said....but it made the national news on ABC tonight and they posted a statement from United accepting FULL responsibility for the unfortunate incident.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by seanp7
Sure, if you leave your kids.
Well a lot of people travel without their kids right? Leave them with relatives and such?

If dogs are like members of your family, don't you need a break from them like you would from other family members?
seanp7 likes this.

Originally Posted by mauve
Care to provide any citations for that?
My gosh, I'm shocked that anyone doubts that people have been arrested and jailed for disobeying United's FA's. This took literally 8 seconds to find: https://jalopnik.com/woman-spends-th...hor-1675569598

There are more.
mauve likes this.

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hughw
Before making comments like this, get your facts correct. A lap child, and a dog, AND a teenage daughter. They did nothing wrong except give in to the FA's badgering.
Was this an ERJ-145? Otherwise, I don't see how they have 2 seats together and not have enough room for a living creature in the pet carrier to go under one of the seats in front. Was there bad weather on the flight or was the baby colicky? If not, why didn't they fetch it down after take-off? Other passengers heard the dog barking but no one did or said anything? This just doesn't make any kind of sense and yet people are just so poised to jump on the #UnitedHate bandwagon ...

United had to take fault for PR purposes if nothing else but it just seems to me that there must be more to the story.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, UA Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
this is exactly what I think happened and what I have been saying unthread. Absent more evidence otherwise, I just can’t imagine a FA deliberately putting a dog in the overhead.

Isn't a cabin pet supposed to be in the passenger manifest? The FA (and UA) cannot claim ignorance of this fact.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:15 pm

In my opinion, this story, the employee at the Premier Check In at IAH who shoved the man down and the mentally disturbed female pilot in street clothes are the three icing on-the-top-of-the-cake reasons why I’m leaving United at the end of the year. I’m so pissed at this company.

And, please, don’t say this could happen anywhere. Where’s the video of the Southwest rep shoving a customer for not using a kiosk? Or the video of the Alaska pilot irate at pax in street clothes?

Dao is the only incident in which I don’t directly blame UA for the violence, as the airport police would have acted that way on any flight.
B6, here I come.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.