Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Dog dies on IAH-LGA after FA supposedly insisted pax store dog overhead

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dog dies on IAH-LGA after FA supposedly insisted pax store dog overhead

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ashill
They didn't determine that, and one witness account clearly isn't definitive. But that is evidence that the flight attendant was told repeatedly that there was a dog in the bag.
I agree. Which really makes UA responsible here.

Its believable to me though that since multiple people on every flight every day bring too many or too large carry ons onto flights and then argue with FAs about where to stow them, the FA never fully comprehended that there was a dang dog in the carryon, lest I have to believe she or he never would have demanded it travel in the OH, for the many reasons you and others have cited. (FAA policy, UA policy, and just generally not being a psycho person)
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles

I agree. Which really makes UA responsible here.

Its believable to me though that since multiple people on every flight every day bring too many or too large carry ons onto flights and then argue with FAs about where to stow them, the FA never fully comprehended that there was a dang dog in the carryon, lest I have to believe she or he never would have demanded it travel in the OH, for the many reasons you and others have cited. (FAA policy, UA policy, and just generally not being a psycho person)
This!

I hope UA decide pets are too much of a liability in the cabin and ban them.
KansasMike and txaggiemiles like this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Not if the choice is dog or handbag
Except that the dog was placed in the bin, unfortunately. They should have got off the plane.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
FT Discussion Rules Reminder

This unfortunate incident has generated a lot of discussion. Vigorous discussion is fine, but discussion of the other posters is not permitted on the FT site rules.

12.2 Avoid Getting Personal
If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.
A number of inappropriate comments have been removed. So discuss and disagree but do not violate the site rules.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
This!

I hope UA decide pets are too much of a liability in the cabin and ban them.
I agree. I think United Airlines should just stop transporting animals. It is not worth the struggle. Then everyone would be happy.
KansasMike likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn
f the passenger had an ounce of common sense they would question the request made by the flight attendant and make alternate arrangements. The passenger is just as responsible as the flight attendant. If someone asked you to steal a candy bar would you do it? I think the same thing applies here.
Are you kidding?? Under federal law and United rules flight attendants are gods. They are not to be questioned under penalty of jail.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Troopers
It's unreasonable to think mom's purse/bag is in overhead bin. Is there any lady that puts their purse in a bin?
Those flying in a bulkhead row for a start
wrp96 and jinglish like this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by demkr
Looks like all those millions they are spending on "empthy" training is working out well - maybe they need to cut more domestic F service to keep the customers happy
Perhaps if the FA had attended Compassion Training then (s)he would not have insisted on putting the dog in the overhead? Just a thought...
demkr and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
This is so sad... RIP dog
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ashill
I'm no lawyer, but it wouldn't shock me if there's a pet equivalent of involuntary manslaughter on the books. If it were an infant, not a pet, I think there may well be a manslaughter case against the FA.
Manslaughter is for people. We're talking about property here.

Originally Posted by KansasMike
Are you kidding?? Under federal law and United rules flight attendants are gods. They are not to be questioned under penalty of jail.
Can you provide some citations for that?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by mduell
Manslaughter is for people. We're talking about property here.
There are animal cruelty laws here in Texas. If it is decided that the FA knowingly told the passenger to put the pet in the overhead bin, then the FA could be held to that law.
It is an election year, so my guess is that charges will be filed.

My guess is UA will pay off the passenger to keep them quiet. I'm not so sure they can pay off PETA, the SPCA, etc.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I agree. I think United Airlines should just stop transporting animals. It is not worth the struggle. Then everyone would be happy.
I think that is likely to happen but then people will be screaming that they can't take their dog on United. I am sad about the dog but really feel for UA on this, there is just too much outrage/judgement in our society these days. Let the investigation proceed and ensure something similar can never happen again.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Looking at the bag in the photos it seems the mesh part is on the long side of the bag, while the OHB are not airtight by any means there's a) less airflow up there b) if the bag was placed such that the mesh sides were against other bags or the side of the bin I could see that bag becoming very stuffy quickly and with full flights and fuller OHBs these days the likelihood of the carrier having lots of airspace around it seems low c) as mentioned that breed of dog is prone to breathing issues in the best of scenarios. Given the available information I'd guess the dog did suffocate, which is all around crappy. While I can fully see how an inexperienced traveler could be intimidated by an FA and the reports are they did argue initially, they probably didn't want to end up being the next news story of a pax removed/arrested for not obeying an FA so I can understand why they might have relented for take-off....why they didn't take the dog down after that I do not understand. Which in no way exonerates the FA in question as clearly the instruction to place the dog in the bin was against policy (and just plain dumb), they like to throw down the our policies are basically The Word Of God card when it suits them so they need to be responsible for the outcomes when people follow said instructions. As for a lawsuit, other than the price of the dog they aren't likely to get much given dogs are considered property but I will give UAs PR team some credit for handling this much better than previous incidents...my guess is they pay out something under NDA due to the media coverage/emotional component (the pictures of the dead dog are just sad). As for the FA, seems she violated policy and several witnesses claim they heard the passenger tell her it was a dog so the "I didn't know" card shouldn't work, probably a tossup if she is canned. Near zero % that a CS issue will get an FA fired but violating policy that resulting a major PR CF...I could see it happening but then again I could also see the union fighting/winning a termination as well.
Traveliter, wrp96 and Kiara like this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Truly despicable of the FA. I agree with one of the posts at the beginning of this thread that says that there seems to be a power trip going on, where we pax are intimidated into obeying crew “instructions” or face immediate removal from the aircraft. And I don’t need to hear the other side of the story to know that the FA (and by extension UA) was 100% wrong for putting the dog in the overhead bin.

Following up on the other thread about empathy training, perhaps UA can hone in the idea to its staff that sometimes when we pax object to a crew “instruction,” it’s not necessarily out of spite or antagonism, but because we have a valid point to make. But empathy begins with respect, and that’s in short supply among UA’s frontline staff.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:40 pm

June Lara
20 hours agoToday, I boarded my first United Airlines flight.

On my way, I saw a Frenchie that looked identical to my own precious Winston. He was with his family - a young girl, no older than 8, her toddler sibling and their mother. He was meant to grow, learn, cry, play with those young children and be their furry friend. He was meant to live a long life filling that family's days with that special joy that only a dog can bring.

I sat behind the family of three and thought myself lucky - who doesn't when they get to sit near a puppy? However, the flight attendants of flight UA1284 felt that the innocent animal was better off crammed inside the overhead container without air and water. They INSISTED that the puppy be locked up for three hours without any kind of airflow. They assured the safety of the family's pet so wearily, the mother agreed.

There was no sound as we landed and opened his kennel. There was no movement as his family called his name. I held her baby as the mother attempted to resuscitate their 10 month old puppy. I cried with them three minutes later as she sobbed over his lifeless body. My heart broke with theirs as I realized he was gone.

The Humane Society of the U.S. says air travel can be risky for pets and especially dangerous for brachycephalic breeds — such as pugs or bulldogs, whose short nasal passages make them vulnerable to oxygen deprivation and heat stroke. This little guy fought hard for his life, filling our flight with his cries until he finally ran out of breath. United Airlines does not care about the safety of their furry travelers. This poor family paid $125 for their pet to be murdered in front of them. There is no excuse for the pain this family is suffering.

Today, I boarded my last United Airlines flight.

R.I.P Papacito

KansasMike likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.