Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Dog dies on IAH-LGA after FA supposedly insisted pax store dog overhead

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dog dies on IAH-LGA after FA supposedly insisted pax store dog overhead

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:15 pm

I feel for the family and the dog, the FA was clearly wrong, but did overhead bin contributed to dogs death innany way or it had a prior health issue and would have died anyway? Is air flow so restricted in the bins?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:18 pm

We have 2 French bull dogs and there is no way I would have put my dog in the bin nor would I allow another passenger to put their dog in the bin, I would have made them kick me off the flight first. Frenchies are a short nose dog like Pugs, Pekingese, etc and many have breathing problems
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Why has nobody asked about the passengers here? First, when the FA tells you to do something idiotic like putting the dog in the overhead doesn't a concerned owner complain vs. just complying? Next, iif you can somehow get past the part where the FA tells you to put the dog in the overhead do you then NT check on it for the whole flight? This whole thing sounds totally unbelievable.
You're joking, right?
1. United already claimed responsibility
2. There are 3 separate witnesses collaborating as well as multiple pics.
jinglish likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 13, 2018 at 6:02 pm Reason: discuss the issue;not the poster(s)
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by schley
How does something like this even happen nowadays? The owner should have never relented, animals can travel in the cabin in certain circumstances and to have a FA do this......... assuming they knew, is really just lack of social norms, much less policies.
What's more unfathomable?

1). FA knowingly instructs dog to be placed in overhead bins
2). Pax (or anyone else) doesn't check on dog for 3.5 hrs+
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
What's more unfathomable?

1). FA knowingly instructs dog to be placed in overhead bins
2). Pax (or anyone else) doesn't check on dog for 3.5 hrs+

Point 2 over and over. The dog they loved so much but didn't bother to check on? ok!
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by claaaaaydavis
Point 2 over and over. The dog they loved so much but didn't bother to check on? ok!
Simple scared of the repercussions of taking the bag out of the overhead.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Isn’t the most obvious explanation simply that the FA never realized that there was a dog in the bag, and that neither the woman nor any of the other nearby passengers realized the OH would be deadly (something I don’t think was obvious to me as a FF and dog owner before now)?

and now everyone feels awful about it and is taking responsibility?

I seriously doubt that today’s IAH to LGA flight was full of a bunch of crazy people hellbent on killing a dog (by demanding it be placed in an OH, not checking on the thing, and not speaking up when they saw it happen)
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
The New York Times has picked this up to and has these details:

“The pet owner was very adamant that she did not want to put the pet carrier up above,” Ms. Gremminger [a witness] said. “She was saying verbally, ‘My dog is in here, no, this is my dog.’ The flight attendant, in response, really just continued to ask her to put it above because it was a hazard where it was, it was a safety emergency, someone could trip.” [...]

Ms. Gremminger said the owner was preoccupied by her infant during the flight and did not check on the pet, which fell eerily silent after barking during takeoff and as the plane ascended to its cruising altitude.
The Times also confirms that it was a black French bulldog. As others have said, those dogs have breathing issues.

Pretty shocking. It's possible to question the judgement of the passengers a bit, especially if the pet carrier was too large to go under the seat, but this is obviously overwhelmingly on United. The flight attendant's comments as relayed by the witness suggest that the carrier was too large to go under the seat.
Xyzzy and jinglish like this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by pdxparse
You're joking, right?
1. United already claimed responsibility
2. There are 3 separate witnesses collaborating as well as multiple pics.
Yea - I get that United accepted responsibility. United is clearly wrong in the FA insisting on this. But I can't understand the wners just going along with the dog in the overhead and leaving it there the whole flight. I would think most people bullied in such a manner would at least want to check on their pet.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 13, 2018 at 6:04 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
As a brief aside, the border advertising right now is for chewy.com (dog supplies). Nice.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Isn’t the most obvious explanation simply that the FA never realized that there was a dog in the bag
Perhaps obvious but contradicted by witness descriptions of the incident.

and that neither the woman nor any of the other nearby passengers realized the OH would be deadly (something I don’t think was obvious to me as a FF and dog owner before now)?
I'm sure that no one who knew about the dog realized the overhead bin would be deadly. But it's shocking to me that the flight attendant, when told there was a dog, didn't know it was against policy and FAA regulations (even without getting to common sense).
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:38 pm

I like how some people basically say that the demand is so asinine and stupid that the owners are at fault for not refusing the demand. Now even if the owners' conduct wasn't ideal - and it clearly wasn't - the root problem here is a borderline criminal level of incompetence on part of the FA. Note that under the current system this champion is eligible for performance bonuses, at least prior to this incident.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ashill
The New York Times has picked this up to and has these details:

The Times also confirms that it was a black French bulldog. As others have said, those dogs have breathing issues.

Pretty shocking. It's possible to question the judgement of the passengers a bit, especially if the pet carrier was too large to go under the seat, but this is obviously overwhelmingly on United. The flight attendant's comments as relayed by the witness suggest that the carrier was too large to go under the seat.
If the carrier was indeed too large to fit under the seat, it and its owner should have been off-loaded, in accordance with UA policy that requires that in-cabin pets in carriers be stored under the seat, and that the carrier be of a size that can fit under the seat.

And assuming that the passenger indeed paid the necessary $125 in-cabin pet fee at check-in, the UA employee who accepted the payment should have verified that the carrier was of a size that complied with UA policy.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
If the pet carrier doesn't fit under the seat in a manner safe for both the humans and the pet, FA should have DB'd the pax?

Originally Posted by guv1976
And assuming that the passenger indeed paid the necessary $125 in-cabin pet fee at check-in, the UA employee who accepted the payment should have verified that the carrier was of a size that complied with UA policy.
Soft sided, may be hard to tell.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Looks like all those millions they are spending on "empthy" training is working out well - maybe they need to cut more domestic F service to keep the customers happy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.