Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Dog dies on IAH-LGA after FA supposedly insisted pax store dog overhead

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dog dies on IAH-LGA after FA supposedly insisted pax store dog overhead

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Eventually what’s going happen is UA banning in cabin pets and probably getting rid of the pet safe program too. It’s too big a liability for the company.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:40 pm
vca

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Thank you so much, because I've been feeling like an idiot for not knowing why it's so obvious a dog would die up there. The bins don't seem airtight, the temperature shouldn't be much different than the cabin...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4624979/

Stress can kill dogs with Brachycephalic Obstructive Airway Syndrome which I assume is the case here.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Ragnarok
If the passenger refuse to put the dog up the overhead compartment, would United drag the passenger off the plane?
For the last time, it was a police officer. Stop trying to make that incident something it wasn't
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
::raises hand:: It's not obvious to me, a non-dog owner, why a dog could go in cargo hold but not in overhead
In this particular the case, it isn't recommend to put this particular breed of dog in the cargo hold because of possible breathing problems, so I would think that a dog owner would be aware enough about that to think maybe the overhead wouldn't be a good place for them either.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: Delta, JetBlue, Marriott
I think we need to take a step back on this one and wait for more facts. Looking at the picture that's been posted, you have a mom with an infant, dog carrier, stroller and teenage(?) daughter trying to board an aircraft. That's a recipe for a high stress experience. So, before going gangbusters on the F/A, let's find out what happened. I know there was a witness, but I have to believe there were other witnesses.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by vca
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4624979/

Stress can kill dogs with Brachycephalic Obstructive Airway Syndrome which I assume is the case here.
Yep. The dog looks to be a French Bulldog, who have notoriously bad breathing. Three hours in an overhead bin without any clear airflow seems like, sadly, a completely plausible scenario to kill a dog like this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I feel sympathy for the FA as I am sure when she turned up to work today she had no intention of harming a human or an animal. I have heard pax argue with FAs about the carryon, and we all the know the policy of under the seat in front of you or in the overhead - it is for safety. I see the reports that other pax heard the mother state it was an animal but that does not mean in the chaos of trying to get the plane ready for take-off the FA heard the statement. Also, looking at the photo that looks like a large carryon item that would very well fit in the overhead and I am not so certain it would fit under the seat, but then again I was not there and it may just be the angle of the photo. At some stage we all need to be accountable for our actions. UA has taken responsibility for their part, and I personally hope it results in a policy of no pets in the cabin. The pax also needs to take some responsibility for this incident - size of the dog carrier, checking on the animal during the flight, politely reiterating there was a dog in the carryon.

Originally Posted by hughw
you misinterpreted my remark....I was replying to someone who essentially was saying hat this women had no business flying by herself with both a lap child and a dog....I was indicating just the opposite of you thinking that I was implying that the teenage daughter was an additional burden....I was trying to say that she also had the assistance of the teenage daughter to manage the lap child and the dog, and incidentally to have an additional foot well.

I'm not sure how you managed to fly unaccompanied at age 5, but I have no doubt my 7 year old granddaughter would be more than capable of doing the same if allowed to....I'm definitely not dinging the teenage daughter.
My son flew unaccompanied from the age of 8 - making connections to international flights, and a teenager is certainly, or should be, capable of checking on an animal during the flight, helping the mother with the baby and the animal, and I did not originally realize there was a teenager so yes IF the dog carrier fitted under the seat then it could be placed with the teen, but as I have posted elsewhere the photo of the dog carrier looks potentially too large to go under the seat.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 13, 2018 at 4:05 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by br2k
Overhead bins are open to the cabin air space, they have the same air and temperature, give or take.
While they don't look very comfortable, it should be no worse than being, say, locked in a closet for a few hours.
This. It's not like there's some kind of seal
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
The 'slight' problem I have with people saying "why didn't someone stand up or she should have stood up more or she should have absolutely refused to put the dog in the overhead bin..." is...

In post 9/11, disobeying a flight attendant is how you end up:
  • In handcuffs
  • Kicked off your flight
  • Having the airline refuse to fly you on a future flight and you have to buy tickets on another airline yourself
  • Arrested, jailed, etc.
I know many of us (myself included) go... "Oh I would've stood up" but seriously, how many of you stand up on a day to day basis against FA's (who you assume have your interests and safety in mind) and don't have one of those above happen to you.

We've been conditioned to just sit down and shut up and what the FA says, is what happens, else repurcussions happen.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Steve M
I'm a flyer as well, but I don't understand why the dog died. Everyone is acting as if it's obvious, so perhaps I'm missing something.
I would guess it passed from heart attack or something from shock of flying. Not from suffocation in overhead bins. If it was a proper carrier.

But I agree should of never been put up there in first place.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
The 'slight' problem I have with people saying "why didn't someone stand up or she should have stood up more or she should have absolutely refused to put the dog in the overhead bin..." is...

• In handcuffs
  • Kicked off your flight
  • Having the airline refuse to fly you on a future flight and you have to buy tickets on another airline yourself
  • Arrested, jailed, etc.
I know many of us (myself included) go... "Oh I would've stood up" but seriously, how many of you stand up on a day to day basis against FA's (who you assume have your interests and safety in mind) and don't have one of those above happen to you.

We've been conditioned to just sit down and shut up and what the FA says, is what happens, else repurcussions happen.
That is so over the top - it is one thing to be defiant and cause a scene - leading to being removed from the flight versus having a calm conversation - "Miss/Mr., you probably didn't realize, I have a dog in the carryon. It wouldn't be safe for my dog to be in the overhead bin - and if needed, can I talk to the purser, pilot, or gate agent please.

I also know that in all the hub airports of which IAH is one of those hubs - if there is an escalation on board, the new process is a fairly high level supervisor comes on board to assess the situation - and I've seen that process now a couple of times and it works well.

Lastly, I'd rather get kicked off the plane (which I see 0% happening) than have my dog die.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
United has already said it's taking full responsibility so at least give them credit for that, yes a sad situation but what is done is done, lets see how this unfolds if we will ever find out that is...
cerealmarketer likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:39 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by mherdeg
UA says they are investigating, agrees that there is a dead dog, and reiterates that dogs should not be stored overhead.
Impressive. Instead of blindly backing the FA and attacking the passenger, UA is issuing a measured response and actually trying to figure out what happened.

In a statement to TPG, they even assume responsibility and offee condolences. At least UA's PR people are learning.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by laxmillenial

• In handcuffs
  • Kicked off your flight
  • Arrested, jailed, etc.

So what? It's frankly an opportunity for a multi-million dollar settlement if you're in the right. As a lawyer, I'd be salivating at that.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by DiscHandler
So what? It's frankly an opportunity for a multi-million dollar settlement if you're in the right. As a lawyer, I'd be salivating at that.
And if you're in the wrong, a free one way ticket to gitmo!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.