Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Dog dies on IAH-LGA after FA supposedly insisted pax store dog overhead

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dog dies on IAH-LGA after FA supposedly insisted pax store dog overhead

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
I really don't see what algae has to do with any of this.
Seems you do not dispute the reason why people did not act. Do you?

Let me ask you the audience - how many times you have witnessed 'someone else's problem' behaviour from the general public?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by mhrb
I must really be missing something. Not really sure I follow the cause of death being related to being in an overhead bin.

There should be as much oxygen and temperature regulation in the overhead bins as in the rest of the cabin. They are part of the cabin and there is no seal, let alone a hermetic one. People suggesting there isn't enough "airflow" in the overhead bins don't seem to understand how diffusion works. Also, we know French bulldogs aren't allowed in cargo holds because they're brachycephalic and this condition is exacerbated by stress. Being shoved in a noisier area under the seat would surely be more stressful to an animal than the more quiet and dark area in the overhead bins.
The airlines don’t allow pets up there because of the restricted airflow. Also, being close to the owner is probably less stressful. And welcome to Flyertalk.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
+1

Understand the business argument that pets make good revenue for UA, but I think the claims for compensation for dead animals must soon outweigh the benefits of the additional fees.

Does anyone know if there is a domestic or international airline that does not accept animals in the cabin?
Virtually all of the deaths are from animals in the hold, not the cabin.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 16, 2018 at 11:31 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More unintentional evidence today that no "crime" was committed here, and that it's all just a case of a flight attendant not hearing what a passenger said. Add this to an improbable fact pattern (as most people realize, it's the bizarre circumstances that almost always lead to these "outrageous" airline stories), and you have a front-page story.

The NYTimes today reports that the Spanish-speaking dog owner (hmmm) says the flight attendant "had to know" that she told her there was a dog in her luggage because the dog barked during the flight. The fact that the flight attendant was crying when she found out about the dog at the end of the flight apparently didn't stop her from reaching this questionable conclusion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/15/u...www.google.com

As I've said before, the obvious solution to this improbable "problem" is requiring all animal carriers to be clearly marked (I suggested blaze orange) and not look like luggage. Of course, lots of pet owners, for various reasons, wouldn't like that. And I tend to agree with them: it's just not necessary, as this weird fact pattern is unlikely to play out again (especially with all the publicity this incident has garnered) and it's particularly unlikely it play out with a genetically-deficient dog breed susceptible to breathing problems. So I'm inclined to think that once the recriminations run their course, and United is finished getting all the criticisms that it doesn't entirely deserve, air travel with pets will not change much. Nor should it.
anc-ord772 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by iahphx
More unintentional evidence today that no "crime" was committed here, and that it's all just a case of a flight attendant not hearing what a passenger said. Add this to an improbable fact pattern (as most people realize, it's the bizarre circumstances that almost always lead to these "outrageous" airline stories), and you have a front-page story.

The NYTimes today reports that the Spanish-speaking dog owner (hmmm) says the flight attendant "had to know" that she told her there was a dog in her luggage because the dog barked during the flight. The fact that the flight attendant was crying when she found out about the dog at the end of the flight apparently didn't stop her from reaching this questionable conclusion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/15/u...www.google.com

As I've said before, the obvious solution to this improbable "problem" is requiring all animal carriers to be clearly marked (I suggested blaze orange) and not look like luggage. Of course, lots of pet owners, for various reasons, wouldn't like that. And I tend to agree with them: it's just not necessary, as this weird fact pattern is unlikely to play out again (especially with all the publicity this incident has garnered) and it's particularly unlikely it play out with a genetically-deficient dog breed susceptible to breathing problems. So I'm inclined to think that once the recriminations run their course, and United is finished getting all the criticisms that it doesn't entirely deserve, air travel with pets will not change much. Nor should it.
Wait a minute:
"The flight attendant who placed the carrier in the overhead bin said she had not heard the owner tell her that the dog was in the carrier,"
The FA was the one who placed the dog in the overhead bin? This would be materially new information and make me far more skeptical that they didn't know a dog was in there. A carrier with a dog in it does not maintain uniform weight distribution; the dog would be moving around.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
The dog is a genetically defective breed. It has trouble breathing at 72 degrees at sea level, anything beyond that and the dog has issues.

With that said, you have now shoved a living creature into a confined space. Within confined spaces without adequate ventilation/airflow you can have issues with carbon dioxide build up and lack of oxygen. I'm not sure what the lung capacity of a french bulldog is and how much air it uses under a stressful situation versus a normal situation, but putting it in the overhead with other luggage was not the answer.

Fault goes all around. The FA for the initial command. The owners for not checking on the dog during the flight. Or the owners flat out refusing to put their dog in the overhead and force the hands of the FA to escalate the issue to somebody who has some brains.
If these types of dogs are so delicate, why did their owners force them to fly on an airplane in the first place? Cruel dog owner.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
I know there are plenty of poor/snarky ticket counter and gate agents out there, but in my experiences FA's are the worst work group of all the Big 3 airlines in the US. I feel bad for the many great FA's who do a fantastic job, because sadly there are far too many one's like this one on UA, who likely think themselves as a authority figure liken to police. FAR too often I see FA's extremely snarky/rude, who escalate things, who are condescending. It's so frustrating to watch as a former airline worker. Nowadays people are too afraid to even politely question something because FA's are getting a bad name of being quick to toss people off flights at the snap of a finger.

The pax here do not go unblamed, I mean what person would allow this? I would get myself thrown off before I ever let them treat my pet like that. That being said, the majority of the blame goes to UA/FA in this case. I seriously hope they are sacked, and I expect UA will be making a big payout to this family. I also would like to see a sizeable donation personally to some pet organization as a good faith gesture. This is egregious and makes me sick that it ever came to this. Shame on the pax who sat by and watched, shame to the passengers who seriously listened to that crap let alone sit up there for hours barking (crying for help likely), but most of all, shame on that terrible FA. May they find a better career, bc FA is not for them.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by villox
Wait a minute:

The FA was the one who placed the dog in the overhead bin? This would be materially new information and make me far more skeptical that they didn't know a dog was in there. A carrier with a dog in it does not maintain uniform weight distribution; the dog would be moving around.
There's been different reports about that. I've always assumed that the reports that say the FA placed the bag in the bin are sloppy, and that it was the pax who did it. Logic would suggest that if the FA picked up the bag, and fitted it into a likely crowded overhead bin, she would have noticed it was a pet carrier. I think I would, but who knows. (I haven't lifted any pet carriers lately.) Since this dog is quite small, though, maybe she wouldn't have noticed it. In any event, regardless, unless this flight attendant is the world's greatest actor, it seems virtually certain she didn't know there was a dog in the bin until the dog was dead.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
There's been different reports about that. I've always assumed that the reports that say the FA placed the bag in the bin are sloppy, and that it was the pax who did it. Logic would suggest that if the FA picked up the bag, and fitted it into a likely crowded overhead bin, she would have noticed it was a pet carrier. I think I would, but who knows. (I haven't lifted any pet carriers lately.) Since this dog is quite small, though, maybe she wouldn't have noticed it. In any event, regardless, unless this flight attendant is the world's greatest actor, it seems virtually certain she didn't know there was a dog in the bin until the dog was dead.

I agree that the FA either didn’t know it was a dog or didn’t know that being in the overhead was a problem. I suspect the independent investigations will resolve that. My point has always been that they should have known it was a dog and that it was a problem to put a dog in the overhead. Also that it was unreasonable to expect a mother with a baby to deal with an FA that is fully resolved to do something. FAs are generally viewed, rightly or wrongly, with fear by most people because of their ability to bring law enforcement into customer service disputes.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I just had an epiphany. The only way to stop more animals from dying in the OHB is to ensure more people place animals in the OHB. That'll do it!!!!
ashill likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I just had an epiphany. The only way to stop more animals from dying in the OHB is to ensure more people place animals in the OHB. That'll do it!!!!

Senator John Kennedy of Louisiana apparently disagrees, as he introduced legislation to prohibit airlines from allowing animals in overhead bins.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ashill
Senator John Kennedy of Louisiana apparently disagrees, as he introduced legislation to prohibit airlines from allowing animals in overhead bins.
Nice to see our legislators tackling the really important issues
Xyzzy, nnn, dsquared37 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FreFly
If the carrier does not fit under the seat and United policy says that a dog carrier must be under thevseat, the dog should hnot have been allowed to fly. If UA knew the pet was on board, UA shoul have made sure the carries is properly stored. If the dog was smuggled, the blame is less clear.
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
They paid UA to carry the dog on board.
They paid UA to carry the dog on board under approved conditions, i.e., that it was in a carrier that would fit under the seat in front of them. If the carrier did not fit properly under the seat in front of one of the passengers, they voided the contract. Yes, some seats have less room available under the seat in front due to where the seat supports are located but between the 2 seats cited, ONE of them should have had adequate room for the dog carrier.

Originally Posted by mhrb
I must really be missing something. Not really sure I follow the cause of death being related to being in an overhead bin.

There should be as much oxygen and temperature regulation in the overhead bins as in the rest of the cabin. They are part of the cabin and there is no seal, let alone a hermetic one. People suggesting there isn't enough "airflow" in the overhead bins don't seem to understand how diffusion works.
You ARE missing something -- diffusion works slowly unless you have decent air flow. You don't have to have a hermetic seal to interrupt air flow and build up a concentration of gases. OHBs are neither designed to be sealed against air flow but they are also not designed for regular air flow. Try sitting for 3 hours with a paper bag over your head -- according to your diffusion hypothesis, you should be perfectly fine since it's not designed to be air tight and even has an open hole at one end.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Good take on the airline "service dynamic" and how it discourages people from speaking up in cases like this, even when they are objectively right and the FA is objectively negligent or wrong:

https://slate.com/business/2018/03/w...rhead-bin.html
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
They paid UA to carry the dog on board under approved conditions, i.e., that it was in a carrier that would fit under the seat in front of them. If the carrier did not fit properly under the seat in front of one of the passengers, they voided the contract. Yes, some seats have less room available under the seat in front due to where the seat supports are located but between the 2 seats cited, ONE of them should have had adequate room for the dog carrier.

You ARE missing something -- diffusion works slowly unless you have decent air flow. You don't have to have a hermetic seal to interrupt air flow and build up a concentration of gases. OHBs are neither designed to be sealed against air flow but they are also not designed for regular air flow. Try sitting for 3 hours with a paper bag over your head -- according to your diffusion hypothesis, you should be perfectly fine since it's not designed to be air tight and even has an open hole at one end.

Please read upthread where someone said that some rows on this aircraft won’t fit approved carriers. They wouldn’t know this until they were on the plane. They didn’t void anything as far as we know. Even if they did they should have been removed from the plane, not had their dog put in an untenable place on the plane.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak

Please read upthread where someone said that some rows on this aircraft won’t fit approved carriers. They wouldn’t know this until they were on the plane. They didn’t void anything as far as we know. Even if they did they should have been removed from the plane, not had their dog put in an untenable place on the plane.

That was me. We had paid the fee, at check-in the carrier was inspected, and the gate agent measured our carrier to make sure it was within the parameters (it was), and it did not fit. Period. And the FA told me it wasn't her problem. We were able to squish the soft sides enough to make it fit -- thankfully the puppy was small -- but there was zero interest in providing any suggestions or alternatives. In retrospect I should be glad no one wanted to put our 8-week-old puppy in the overhead... because all I can see happening is the airline offloading us, and the nightmare of to get four people home on a day when all seats were sold out... because THEIR measurements didn't comply with THEIR planes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.