Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Funding awards/upgrades on a common PNR from multiple accounts? - NO, alternatives?

Funding awards/upgrades on a common PNR from multiple accounts? - NO, alternatives?

    Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 5, 19, 8:12 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Awards can only be funded from one account
-- Break up the award into separate outbound and return tickets which can be separately funded -- will lose the excursion perk, and potentially 2x cancellation / change fees
-- Separate PNRs can be funded separately -- will the elite can guest the non-elite for premier access / security / boarding / some E+ access, the non-elite will lose the elite's bag allowance

Upgrades support must be the same for everyone on the common PNR
- However, the outbound and return can be funded separately -- even can use miles in one direction and GPUs in the other direction

Fees can be paid by any credit card and does not have to be same name as account holder.

Transferring miles is very expensive (generally a bit more than 1 CPM)
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 17, 16, 4:50 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 119
Funding awards/upgrades on a common PNR from multiple accounts? - NO, alternatives?

Hello All,

I have been reading the board for a while now and have yet to find an answer to my question, apologies in advance if this has been covered.

We are planning to book a one way ticket BKK-NRT or HND-LAX. I have enough points to cover 60% of the points needed, the person i'm traveling with has the other 40%. Is there a way to book these tickets without paying to transfer points. If we call in to book can we tell the operator that I will be using XX amount of miles from my account and XX amount from my travel companions acct? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again.
calguy77 is offline  
Old Dec 17, 16, 8:08 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jersey Shore/YYZ
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Posts: 12,442
Originally Posted by calguy77 View Post
Hello All,

I have been reading the board for a while now and have yet to find an answer to my question, apologies in advance if this has been covered.

We are planning to book a one way ticket BKK-NRT or HND-LAX. I have enough points to cover 60% of the points needed, the person i'm traveling with has the other 40%. Is there a way to book these tickets without paying to transfer points. If we call in to book can we tell the operator that I will be using XX amount of miles from my account and XX amount from my travel companions acct? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again.
There really is no way. Just book two separate PNRs. Seating is always managed anyways, and I assume neither of you have Premier status...and even if you did, baggage waivers can be handled at check-in.
aacharya is offline  
Old Dec 17, 16, 11:58 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 119
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
There really is no way. Just book two separate PNRs. Seating is always managed anyways, and I assume neither of you have Premier status...and even if you did, baggage waivers can be handled at check-in.
OK, but what about if one person in the party doesn't have enough miles to cover their ticket. Can I use my miles to cover it without having to transfer the miles to the other person?
calguy77 is offline  
Old Dec 17, 16, 12:02 pm
  #4  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 54,699
Originally Posted by calguy77 View Post
OK, but what about if one person in the party doesn't have enough miles to cover their ticket. Can I use my miles to cover it without having to transfer the miles to the other person?
A given award ticket can only be funded from a single account.

Separate PNRs, OWs, ... are tricks to break tickets into smallest pieces to make use of smaller accounts. But in the end it is one ticket, one account.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Feb 23, 17, 11:33 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 585
Have a question - my wife and I have separate MP accounts. I accumulate points a lot faster than she does (about 2x). We also have a good portion of points on UR.

For future bookings, what is the best way to handle family trips? Have myself use my MP account to handle me and maybe 2 kids and have her use her MP for herself and then hope to get seat assignments next to each other?

Just wondering - logistically - what's the best way of doing this as transferring miles b/w each other would be cost prohibitive.

Thanks!
gumercindo is offline  
Old Feb 23, 17, 11:39 am
  #6  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 54,699
Originally Posted by gumercindo View Post
Have a question - my wife and I have separate MP accounts. I accumulate points a lot faster than she does (about 2x). We also have a good portion of points on UR.

For future bookings, what is the best way to handle family trips? Have myself use my MP account to handle me and maybe 2 kids and have her use her MP for herself and then hope to get seat assignments next to each other? ....
Being on 1 PNR or separate PNRs should not impact selecting seats -- no hardier, no easier.

What you suggested will work.
You can also book one-ways and use miles from different accounts each way (note in the case of cancellations one ways incur x2 cancel fees).
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jan 25, 18, 11:19 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 129
MP Award Tickets from multiple accounts

Spouse, child, and I are planning UA MP award trip. Each of us have miles in our own MP accounts to pay for our individual tickets. Can I make a single reservation and pay individually from our respective accounts or do I need to make separate reservations?
jc719 is offline  
Old Jan 25, 18, 11:35 am
  #8  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 54,699
Originally Posted by jc719 View Post
Spouse, child, and I are planning UA MP award trip. Each of us have miles in our own MP accounts to pay for our individual tickets. Can I make a single reservation and pay individually from our respective accounts ....?
No, a single reservation / PNR can only be funded from only one account.

One alternative is to book one-way tickets and if the accounts have enough miles to book 3 OW tickets then you could have a common reservation / PNR in each direction.

This does mean if you have to cancel, you would have twice the cancellation fee. Additionally you would lose access to the excursion segment option.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jan 25, 18, 11:53 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: UA Silver
Posts: 12,209
No. Miles can only come from a single account.

Booking one ways, as mentioned above, is one potential solution. Another is to transfer the miles into one of the accounts, but if they are currently across three accounts, that will incur 2 mileage transfer fees.
emcampbe is online now  
Old Mar 12, 18, 2:37 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 988
Best way to book travel for two with miles in two accounts

We have found Biz Saver flights on all legs to and from Europe in July! I'm just a wee bit short of having enough miles to cover both my bride and myself. She has plenty in her own account to cover her round trip. Is there any reason it would be a bad idea to book separately rather on the same PNR? Or should we just transfer some miles from her account to mine so we can book together? I only need about 10K miles to cover both of us. Is there a fee to transfer miles from one account to another?

Our outbound flight will be on LH. Last time we went to Europe it was on OS but booked through UA and used UA miles. My UA reservation showed the OS confirmation so I was able to go online to select our seats. I think I had to open a Miles and More account to do that. Is that still a possibility or is there another way to select seats in advance (Calling in, etc.?) Seems like I read that LH charges a fee to pre-select seats now.

Same question with TK for our return trip. How can we select seats in advance?

Thanks!
Kensterfly is offline  
Old Mar 12, 18, 2:46 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 11,355
If you not using the Excursionist Perk, you could book each direction as a separate ticket with both of you on the same PNR. Otherwise, unless you are trying to use your *G status in a way which requires same PNR (NZ comes to mind as a carrier where this matters a lot), it should be no issue.

Transferring miles is possible but almost always cost-prohibitive.

You should be able to assign seats on a Business ticket with LH by calling (usually the website works too). 016 assignment issues are with paid Economy tickets. Probably same with TK, but I have not flown them.
TObject likes this.
findark is offline  
Old Mar 12, 18, 2:49 pm
  #12  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 54,699
A bunch of different questions
Originally Posted by Kensterfly View Post
We have found Biz Saver flights on all legs to and from Europe in July! I'm just a wee bit short of having enough miles to cover both my bride and myself. She has plenty in her own account to cover her round trip. Is there any reason it would be a bad idea to book separately rather on the same PNR? Or should we just transfer some miles from her account to mine so we can book together? I only need about 10K miles to cover both of us. Is there a fee to transfer miles from one account to another? ...
Their is a fee to transfer miles, $180 for 10K miles. Award Accelerator at 2 cpm is a better idea
Buy or Transfer Miles
The significant advantage to funding miles from a single account is being on the same PNR.
When in a Premium Cabin, the elite benefits are not as important, so would consider not pay the transfer fee and go with two PNRs funded from separate accounts.

Originally Posted by Kensterfly View Post
Our outbound flight will be on LH. Last time we went to Europe it was on OS but booked through UA and used UA miles. My UA reservation showed the OS confirmation so I was able to go online to select our seats. I think I had to open a Miles and More account to do that. Is that still a possibility or is there another way to select seats in advance (Calling in, etc.?) Seems like I read that LH charges a fee to pre-select seats now. ...
No LH fee to select seats for award flights, no charge for economy and certainly not in business.

Originally Posted by Kensterfly View Post
Same question with TK for our return trip. How can we select seats in advance?
Get the TK PNR and go to the TK site.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ineraries.html
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Mar 12, 18, 3:27 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 1,642
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
The significant advantage to funding miles from a single account is being on the same PNR.
How can two people fund one United account?
CrazyInteg is offline  
Old Mar 12, 18, 3:29 pm
  #14  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Posts: 50,158
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg View Post
How can two people fund one United account?
He means funding awards using miles from a single account.
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Mar 12, 18, 3:33 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 1,642
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
He means funding awards using miles from a single account.
Ahhh, thanks!
CrazyInteg is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: