Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Northeast Weather - 13-14 March 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Airports:
  • Albany, NY (ALB)
  • Allentown, PA (ABE)
  • Bangor, ME (BGR)
  • Boston, MA (BOS)
  • Burlington, VT (BTV)
  • Hartford, CT (BDL)
  • Manchester, NH (MHT)
  • New York/Newark, NJ (EWR)
  • New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK)
  • New York-LaGuardia, NY (LGA)
  • Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
  • Portland, ME (PWM)
  • Providence, RI (PVD)
  • White Plains, NY (HPN)
Rebook by March 17, 2018.

Waiver: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/news/Pages/travelnotices.aspx#ExceptionPolicies

Waiver Parameter Code: 1+

David
Attached Images  
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Waiver Parameter Code: 1+
Is this new?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by malgudi
Is this new?
N -- it's UA's way of telling agents what the basic rules of engagement for customer changes should be. Details here: https://jetstream.united.com/#/all-travel-waiver
malgudi likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:33 pm
X31

Travel waiver 03/13-14 Northeast USA - what should I do?

I am currently booked on BTV-IAD-PEK on flights UA6036 and UA807 (on March 14th), with only 1h22 connecting time in IAD.
There is a travel waiver now online waiving change fees for flights from/to BTV airport among others (mainly NYC area, and others in northeast USA).

I'm thinking if there is going to be any IRROPS due to snow, my BTV-IAD leg could very well have some delay that will end up in missing the flight to PEK due to such tight connection and very few frequencies.
Surprisingly, there seems to be no way to get to IAD earlier in the morning.

I really do not mind adding connections and all (this is for a mileage run), but I don't find anything less risky right now except maybe going through ORD and taking the 777 flight to PEK (I'd rather keep my seat on the 787 though).
Do you guys have any ideas of a safer routing? Bonus points if there's some extra miles in it / a higher fare class than G ^ (should be quite simple as the flights are in three days only).
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Btv to ewr runs with more frequency.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:25 pm
X31

Originally Posted by aacharya
Btv to ewr runs with more frequency.
Do you think it makes any sense to change to : BTV-EWR-IAD-PEK (keeping the same flight for IAD-PEK)
My logic is: if BTV-EWR is delayed/cancelled, I can revert back to my original BTV-IAD, and if EWR-IAD is delayed/cancelled, at least I have options from EWR, or connecting through ORD.

Right now, if my late-leaving BTV-IAD flight is impacted, I don't have any options from BTV that I can think of to get to another PEK flight in time the same day.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
BTV-EWR-SFO-PEK should work. Good luck.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by Kmxu
BTV-EWR-SFO-PEK should work. Good luck.
FWIW, if the current forecast holds true, as long at you can get out of BTV you should be ok as this storm looks like it will mostly impact New England. Not much snow expected at EWR.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
FWIW, if the current forecast holds true, as long at you can get out of BTV you should be ok as this storm looks like it will mostly impact New England. Not much snow expected at EWR.
It's not just the snow accumulation that reduces airport operations. Winds will gust to or over 30mph, restricting flow in and out.
dmurphynj likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
I was originally scheduled for BOS-EWR-PVG all on 3/13, moved to BOS-EWR tonight and kept EWR-PVG tomorrow. 1-3" of snow, and wind in afternoon. EWR prioritizes INTL during flow-restrictions, so I may be late arriving into PVG, but hoping to get out.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:03 pm

Although it is a longer journey, either EWR-SFO-PVG or EWR-LAX-PVG will also work if you do not want to overnight at EWR tonight. There are two flights for SFO-PVG each day. Good luck.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by X31
Do you think it makes any sense to change to : BTV-EWR-IAD-PEK (keeping the same flight for IAD-PEK)
My logic is: if BTV-EWR is delayed/cancelled, I can revert back to my original BTV-IAD, and if EWR-IAD is delayed/cancelled, at least I have options from EWR, or connecting through ORD.

Right now, if my late-leaving BTV-IAD flight is impacted, I don't have any options from BTV that I can think of to get to another PEK flight in time the same day.
It seems that BTV-IAD, BTV-EWR and BTV-ORD flights are cancelled for tomorrow. If you cannot postpone your flight, hope that you can get out of BTV tonight. Good luck.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:30 pm
X31

It seems that BTV-IAD, BTV-EWR and BTV-ORD flights are cancelled for tomorrow. If you cannot postpone your flight, hope that you can get out of BTV tonight. Good luck.
I'm flying the day after tomorrow (March 14th). It seems there's no cancellations as of yet, am I wrong?
I changed the flights for BTV-EWR / EWR-IAD / IAD-PEK to be extra careful.

If BTV-EWR (first flight out of BTV) in impacted, I can change to BTV-ORD or BTV-IAD and still get on a flight to PEK the same day.
If EWR-IAD is impacted, I can get on the EWR-PEK, or connect through ORD, or even try to go to SFO/LAX for other flights.

I could fly out of YUL (where I'm based), but the agents cannot rebook me (yet) on YUL-IAD/EWR/ORD, as I need to keep same O&D.
Also, I think YUL might be impacted as well by the snowstorm, but at least here we're used to it!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by X31
I'm flying the day after tomorrow (March 14th). It seems there's no cancellations as of yet, am I wrong?
I changed the flights for BTV-EWR / EWR-IAD / IAD-PEK to be extra careful.

If BTV-EWR (first flight out of BTV) in impacted, I can change to BTV-ORD or BTV-IAD and still get on a flight to PEK the same day.
If EWR-IAD is impacted, I can get on the EWR-PEK, or connect through ORD, or even try to go to SFO/LAX for other flights.

I could fly out of YUL (where I'm based), but the agents cannot rebook me (yet) on YUL-IAD/EWR/ORD, as I need to keep same O&D.
Also, I think YUL might be impacted as well by the snowstorm, but at least here we're used to it!
just monitor your flight status frequently tomorrow. If your first flight to EWR is cancelled for March 14, you will have a strong case to change your originating city to YUL. This will help UA out and agent should have no problem to make the change for you.
good luck.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:18 am
X31

just monitor your flight status frequently tomorrow. If your first flight to EWR is cancelled for March 14, you will have a strong case to change your originating city to YUL. This will help UA out and agent should have no problem to make the change for you.
good luck.
So... what had to happen happenned and BTV-EWR was indeed canceled.
I spent almost two hours on the phone trying to convince the agent to rebook me on YUL-IAD tonight. They wouldn't allow the change and asked for >300$ as it was a voluntary change for them, because YUL is "too far" from BTV.

I had to escalate to a supervisor to get the change done (for free).
Let's hope this YUL-IAD flight takes off tonight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.