Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA 665 over sold by 50. IAH - EWR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I would've gladly taken the bump well prior to 7k. My time is rarely that important when flying. Why do I always miss out on these ?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I would've gladly taken the bump well prior to 7k. My time is rarely that important when flying. Why do I always miss out on these ?
A song title comes to mind from Dr. John: "Right Place Wrong Time"

David
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
Seven grand is a great number to volunteer for! What is the highest anyone has seen?
$10k oversold F on ewr-hkg a few months ago. I was heading out on a 3 day trip with a Shipping deadline. I really weighed trying to make it work
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
its spring break time in Houston and there were
many oversold flights yesterday. I was on a delta flight to MSP and they needed 7 volunteers and wound up having to go on the plane to get the last 1. $1000 voucher or choose of gift cards (including AmEx) so that's an no-brainer. This was my first opportunity in about 2 years.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:25 am

ugh, i want to fly and will reschedule anything for $7k
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
wow $7k. I would have bent over backwards as well to make it work.

Today will be great fun too UA557 just cancelled due to maintenance ... a 772 missing IAH-EWR ... that's A LOT of pax to re-accomodate
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Count me in as well for someone who would have grabbed the $7K offer with a smile and thank you.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
N597UA been doing a fair bit of diverting lately.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:46 pm

Like others, I'd put up with a lot of hell for a $7k voucher. It'd be good for $7k PQD and about 55000 PQM on the TCON routes I fly. I'd spend all those PQD upgrading my Y tickets to paid F for $299/OW.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I would have bumped myself at $5K.

It's a free round trip YYC-GIG in J.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold , Marriott Platinum. Both earned BIS/Nights
Originally Posted by jp12687

$10k oversold F on ewr-hkg a few months ago. I was heading out on a 3 day trip with a Shipping deadline. I really weighed trying to make it work
what alternate flight/s were offered to you? Rebook next day, other routing or put on *A?

thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:27 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
When you guys say you "heard" offers...were they told to you, or over the loud speaker? I think I've only ever heard 1 time where an actual amount was said over the loud speaker.

Because it's never happened to me, I literally cannot imagine a gate agent acting like an auctioneer saying like "400" then waiting 5 minutes and saying "ok folks 800". Just going up and up. I'm amazed that people don't bite earlier. Like unless I was in paid F (which will never happen) if they ever hit $1000, I'd jump at it. Obviously I'd need to hear the terms, are we talking $1000 credit? "Cash"? What's the new flight routing gonna be? Things like that. I've had a bit of problem with UA emco before where you can't use more than 1 on one trip, so my 2x$100 certs had to be used on different bookings, which was kind of a pain, would've been nice if they were just like gift cards, and also couldn't be used on any itinerary that had a non-UA flight in it, that was the biggest bone of contention for me. But if I got offered $1000 CASH, or even $1000 UA gift card, I'd jump, a $1000 eMco, I'd probably balk a bit cuz I wouldn't really have much of an occasion to use it.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
Originally Posted by drvannostren
When you guys say you "heard" offers...were they told to you, or over the loud speaker? I think I've only ever heard 1 time where an actual amount was said over the loud speaker.

Because it's never happened to me, I literally cannot imagine a gate agent acting like an auctioneer saying like "400" then waiting 5 minutes and saying "ok folks 800". Just going up and up. I'm amazed that people don't bite earlier. Like unless I was in paid F (which will never happen) if they ever hit $1000, I'd jump at it. Obviously I'd need to hear the terms, are we talking $1000 credit? "Cash"? What's the new flight routing gonna be? Things like that. I've had a bit of problem with UA emco before where you can't use more than 1 on one trip, so my 2x$100 certs had to be used on different bookings, which was kind of a pain, would've been nice if they were just like gift cards, and also couldn't be used on any itinerary that had a non-UA flight in it, that was the biggest bone of contention for me. But if I got offered $1000 CASH, or even $1000 UA gift card, I'd jump, a $1000 eMco, I'd probably balk a bit cuz I wouldn't really have much of an occasion to use it.

I've absolutely heard the auctioneer bit. Generally the GA will announce the flight is oversold, they're offering $xxx to anyone who would be willing to take a fight to their destination in X hours or connecting in Y city. Usually the route is the same though, so non-stop if the original flight is non-stop. I've never seen the auction go past $2k or so, and generally for a domestic hop like the one in the OP, people jump on it way before the 4 figure mark. But, I also make a point to not travel during Spring Break when I can avoid it, so I can see why this one went higher.
FlyfromDenver likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
When you spent the $7,000 voucher, would you get PQD's for that amount?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
When you spent the $7,000 voucher, would you get PQD's for that amount?

Absolutely you get PQD (assuming the ticket is eligible for PQD)- it is exactly the same as any other payment method. It can only be used for the person on the voucher though. You can't buy you and your SO each a $3500rt ticket to XXX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.