Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA account - book with United or Lufthansa for Lufthansa flight?

Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:48 am
Original Poster

I'm fairly new to the UA programme having been doing Delta for years, but finally made the switch in December last year so only have Silver right now. Based on my current planned travel I should easily hit 1K this year, but I'm having trouble understanding exactly when I accrue PQM on United when flying on partner airlines (which is quite often).

I'm planning on doing London to Mauritius with Lufthansa (via Frankfurt) and back with Swiss (via Zurich). I could buy this itinerary via United, but not select seats until checkin. By the look of it I could also book it with Lufthansa directly. Is there any benefit to one or the other that I'm missing? Previous LH flights have credited PQM, thoguh I'm not sure if it was at the same rate as a UA ticket would. Is there a definitive guide to this?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jen20
I'm fairly new to the UA programme having been doing Delta for years, but finally made the switch in December last year so only have Silver right now. Based on my current planned travel I should easily hit 1K this year, but I'm having trouble understanding exactly when I accrue PQM on United when flying on partner airlines (which is quite often).

I'm planning on doing London to Mauritius with Lufthansa (via Frankfurt) and back with Swiss (via Zurich). I could buy this itinerary via United, but not select seats until checkin. By the look of it I could also book it with Lufthansa directly. Is there any benefit to one or the other that I'm missing? Previous LH flights have credited PQM, thoguh I'm not sure if it was at the same rate as a UA ticket would. Is there a definitive guide to this?
PQM earning is independent of where you buy the ticket. It depends only upon who you fly and the fare classes you're flying.

The reason to choose UA ticket stock over LH is that partner flights on partner tickets don't accumulate PQD (unlike on DL). In order to hit 1K, US residents need $12K in PQD. If you think you'll need this trip to hit the $12K requirement, then that might be the determining factor.

Redeemable mile earnings -- not PQMs -- do depend upon the ticket. You'll earn mile based upon the ticket price if you book on a United ticket (number starts with 016). You'll get distance-based earnings if you book with Lufthansa.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks @jsloan - that clarifies things! Seems I'd be better off booking with Lufthansa direct in this case - I'm not a US resident so don't have the PQD requirement.
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
I think some LH and LX flights to MRU are operated by eurowings and edelweiss. Be sure to double check the PQM and redeemable miles earnings, which may depend on the ticketing carrier, fare class, etc in different ways than for most LH and LX flights. (If it's LH cityline then I think it's the same as for regular LH flights...at least it has been for me in the past).

Eurowings:
https://www.united.com/cms/en-us/mar...spx?itemid=668

Edelweiss:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...weiss-air.html
jsloan likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.