Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buy 1K status in charity auction closes today! - extended to noon cdt 12 March 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy 1K status in charity auction closes today! - extended to noon cdt 12 March 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle

It doesn't appear to include the upgrades.

Just passing it along.

https://www.biddingforgood.com/aucti...n?id=311330937

UPDATE: It does include it as the lady got back to me:

Hi Jeff,

You would get everything listed here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/default.aspx

Good luck!

Last edited by schley; Mar 10, 2018 at 9:11 pm
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Interesting for a couple of reasons.

1. They've put the market value at $8k.
2. Wheatley Vodka is a major sponsor of this fundraiser. I wonder if the 1k donation was orchestrated by them, maybe an in-kind donation for a few more pallets of their vodka premiering on UA this summer?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1k
If it included the GPUs I'd have bid on this for the spouse!
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Interesting for a couple of reasons.

2. Wheatley Vodka is a major sponsor of this fundraiser. I wonder if the 1k donation was orchestrated by them, maybe an in-kind donation for a few more pallets of their vodka premiering on UA this summer?
+1. I have absolutely no idea why they have to put a market value on it. What baffles me is they don't even think it's worth at 12k, so for every sucker who plays this FFP game, UA is essentially saying you don't get what you pay for, if you just look at the status perspective.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by mrt88
To be fair, it doesn't say that it doesn't, but there's obviously no way to confirm in advance of the auction tonight.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:17 am

To be fair, it doesn't say that it doesn't, but there's obviously no way to confirm in advance of the auction tonight.
It's better to not to give UA the benefit of the doubt. When it doesn't say it, it doesn't have it.
NoLaGent and mrt88 like this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
It's better to not to give UA the benefit of the doubt. When it doesn't say it, it doesn't have it.
I agree with you 100%, but we also know how things happen when UA's computer systems are involved and this is an electronic cert. Quite literally, anything could happen.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: United 1K, EL AL Silver

maybe it does include the GPU ?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Someone who isn't really familiar with UA's CPU upgrade fine print may think they are bidding on guaranteed upgrades:

"Complimentary Premier Upgrades for you and a companion up to 96 hours prior to your flight"

Nothing about availability, limitations, and reality.
Miggles and Terence.Hill like this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Someone who isn't really familiar with UA's CPU upgrade fine print may think they are bidding on guaranteed upgrades:

"Complimentary Premier Upgrades for you and a companion up to 96 hours prior to your flight"

Nothing about availability (and reality).
Excellent point. And probably why 1k used to be worth $12k in spend. Without upgrades anymore, $8k sounds about right.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
You can email the auction hosts and hope they get back to you in the next 8 hours. Just click on the box ASK A QUESTION ABOUT THIS ITEM. Most of the time they respond quickly IME, especially with today the deadline.

I have used this site for probably 6 years now and always great to get things for charity .
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by schley
You can email the auction hosts and hope they get back to you in the next 8 hours. Just click on the box ASK A QUESTION ABOUT THIS ITEM. Most of the time they respond quickly IME, especially with today the deadline.

I have used this site for probably 6 years now and always great to get things for charity .
Ahhh, I didn't even notice that.

Inquiry sent, I'll post here when/if they respond!
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Excellent point. And probably why 1k used to be worth $12k in spend. Without upgrades anymore, $8k sounds about right.
The more I look at the wording (and lack of details), the worse it gets. Without knowledge, another way one could interpret the benefit is that one can get the upgrades as long as the flight is booked more than 96 hours out.

Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
$8k is the soft-dollar cost that UA ascribes to 1K when it is awarded in conjunction with PassPlus contracts. I suspect that they just used this value in the ad even though soft dollars only have a tangential relationship with real money.

I think that there's a good chance that it does, although I would be safe and only bid on it under the assumption that doesn't. One thing to be aware of is that the contract-awarded 1Ks I've seen come with 2 RPUs and 6 GPUs rather than 4 RPUs because the first two RPUs come at Platinum/75K miles.

My guess is that this would function similarly to contract-awarded 1K, which is identical to the standard 1K subject to the minor difference I noted above.

Last edited by Sykes; Mar 10, 2018 at 11:53 am
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
+1. I have absolutely no idea why they have to put a market value on it. What baffles me is they don't even think it's worth at 12k, so for every sucker who plays this FFP game, UA is essentially saying you don't get what you pay for, if you just look at the status perspective.
What on earth are you talking about? $8K is a ridiculously high value for 1K. 1K -- with the GPUs -- might be worth $3K; $4K on the outside. If I'm tracking toward $9K PQD at the end of the year, I might try to hit 1K. If I'm tracking toward $7500, I'll take Gold. GS might be worth $8K, I guess, if there's a lot of PN inventory on the routes that you'd fly.

You've omitted the value of the travel in your calculation. If UA gave you $12K worth of excess value for spending $12K, you'd be getting the flights for free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.