Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buy 1K status in charity auction closes today! - extended to noon cdt 12 March 2018

Buy 1K status in charity auction closes today! - extended to noon cdt 12 March 2018

Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
The auction emailed me back about GPU/RPU inclusion with this response:

"Hi NoLaGent,

You would get everything listed here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/default.aspx

Good luck!"

So...the chart says RPU/GPU eligibility, which should be construed as you fly it, you earn it.
Yes and the GPU page on the website says you have to meet requirements for 1K to get GPU. Someone who won 1K on an auction has not met requirements for 1K. Unless explicitly stated one cannot be sure this includes GPUs.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Do people who get softlandings from Global Services to 1K get the GPUs if they didnt otherwise qualify for 1K? ....
No and successful challenge status match candidates may get none or presently 2. January status buyup folks have a time gotten 6 GPUs and other times none But Lifetime 1Ks are guarantee 6 GPUs even if they do not "re-qual", however, their MMers companions do not.

So having 1K status does not guarantee to have GPUs.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Funny thing is that they specifically say, if you wait until July 2018 to activate coupon, the status is valid till 2019. How does this work. It might be simply worth the $2300 just for that purpose.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kacee
And in practice it will be less because the W premium is going to be at least $200, and probably more.

That's way high, even if you're able to use the GPU on a flight that fits your schedule. If you can't use it, the value is zero. Increasingly, I find the value to be zero.

To the extent there's a market value, it would be derived from ebay/craigslist, where they're commonly priced at $400.
i guess it depends on the route and if you can clear the gpu, I only do one route with the gpu and that seems to be my savings. And I always move the schedule to get the fare that can be upgraded at booking. I imagine most folks dont do the Tpac route with as much flexibility as I have so they end up a zero value

i asked before if any one has any idea of the redemption rate of gpu, how many expire and are a red herring to he owner.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Funny thing is that they specifically say, if you wait until July 2018 to activate coupon, the status is valid till 2019. How does this work. ....
That's how status match challenges work -- pre-July just the present year + January; July 1 and after, the following year is included.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:22 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Does this auction description establish in the eyes of the US Treasury dept a taxable quantity in all of its forms ?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Does this auction description establish in the eyes of the US Treasury dept a taxable quantity in all of its forms ?
Yes, the onus is on the organization to provide the donor with a disclosure statement:

Disclosure Statement

The required written disclosure statement must:

a. Inform the donor that the amount of the contribution that is deductible for federal income tax purposes is limited to the excess of any money (and the value of any property other than money) contributed by the donor over the fair market value of goods or services provided by the charity, and

b. Provide the donor with a good faith estimate of the fair market value of the goods or services that the donor received. The charity must furnish the statement in connection with either the solicitation or the receipt of the quid pro quo contribution. If the disclosure statement is furnished in connection with a particular solicitation, it is not necessary for the organization to provide another statement when it actually receives the contribution.
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not sure what you mean by "quantity" or "all its forms". It establishes the fair market value of the goods or services provided. As discussed earlier in this thread, if the FMV is $12,000 and you purchase it for $14,000, you have made a charitable contribution of $2,000. If you purchase it for $12,000, you do not have a deduction.

You may challenge the FMV, but will need to document the discrepancy.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Funny thing is that they specifically say, if you wait until July 2018 to activate coupon, the status is valid till 2019. How does this work. It might be simply worth the $2300 just for that purpose.
I don't think you mean (un)til 2019 as that would mean through December 2018. Perhaps it should say through 2019, but then January 2020 should really be specified.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: United 1K, EL AL Silver
its selling now for $2800 and 50Min left to go!
Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't think you mean (un)til 2019 as that would mean through December 2018. Perhaps it should say through 2019, but then January 2020 should really be specified.
That was probably a typo on the poster's part, the auction listing states 2020 if activated after 7/1/18.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:12 pm

I've actually been considering bidding for the last 15 minutes....it's sitting at $3200 as I type this.

With my AS/VX flying last year, I dropped to Silver on UA, went up to MVPG on AS.

Is $3200 (assuming no gpu/rpu) worth Silver to 1k?

I'm kind of on the fence.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:21 pm

Considering UA donated this for a charity I would be surprised if this was "1K Lite."
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway
Considering UA donated this for a charity I would be surprised if this was "1K Lite."
Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to UA, but who knows? None of us, that's for sure.

I buy P fares, so in trying to determine the actual value as it pertains to me, I'm coming up short. Still seems like a great deal, tho.

4 minutes left at $3300...
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I've actually been considering bidding for the last 15 minutes....it's sitting at $3200 as I type this.

With my AS/VX flying last year, I dropped to Silver on UA, went up to MVPG on AS.

Is $3200 (assuming no gpu/rpu) worth Silver to 1k?

I'm kind of on the fence.
I was in at $2,100 but just don't have the cash at the moment to do it at $3,000+. Bought a business class ticket to Europe last week so the timing isn't great for my wallet. Otherwise, I think I would do it - I'm going to be a perennial Silver/Gold, not even approaching 1K otherwise so it would be a cool thing to get... I guess it depends on whether you feel you can get your money's worth. I think I would between now and 2020, but it depends on your travel plans.
NoLaGent likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.