Purchase or wait?

Old Mar 9, 18, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Purchase or wait?

Hi all. Quick question. I usually just buy my airline tickets and not worry about it, but I was recently planning a summer holiday. I will be flying from Newark to Grand Cayman in July and the ticket is around $730. When the seat map came up to choose seats, the entire plane is empty. Should I just wait and see if prices fall? I've never played the waiting game before. I've put on price alerts on the route already. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Mar 9, 18, 9:45 pm

The implementation of the Gemini algorithm has not been great. I have a couple of annual trips that are much higher than in past years thanks to this new algorithm. I think you're doing the right thing with setting up price alerts. They are gonna lose a lot of leisure travelers with these high higher fares.
Old Mar 9, 18, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
1) Seat maps are not, and have never been, and likely will never be, indicative of actual loads.

2) An empty plane 4 months out doesn't have any relation to the price at which the airline should sell the tickets to maximize profit.
Old Mar 10, 18, 9:13 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL Gold Medallion, IHG Platinum
You might also set some price alerts for the same flight in April, May, and June - That way you can see how the price changes as the date approaches. Summer fares may be shifted higher but good chance they'll follow roughly the same pattern, so you can see how far out you're likely to get the "lowest" fare and at what point it's probably only going to go up.

It's not perfect, but in the absence of better data, it will at least allow you to base your decision on real price behavior that you've seen.
Old Mar 11, 18, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback!
Old Mar 11, 18, 10:34 pm

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by claaaaaydavis View Post
The implementation of the Gemini algorithm has not been great. I have a couple of annual trips that are much higher than in past years thanks to this new algorithm. I think you're doing the right thing with setting up price alerts. They are gonna lose a lot of leisure travelers with these high higher fares.
So nice to know the name of the algorithm that has been killing United and all my corporate travel along with it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: