Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA To Begin Selling Priority Boarding [Group 2]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA To Begin Selling Priority Boarding [Group 2]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by 000derek
Thread seems mostly to discuss the merits of selling priority boarding as stand-alone add-on. Sorry if the upper elites don't like it, but I have taken advantage. I'm flying to D.C. with my wife shortly for the cherry blossom festival. Two award tickets, one from each of our MP accounts, so two separate reservations, booked months ago, but yesterday I contemplated adding economy plus. I have a regulation-size roller for my photography gear, so I'm never checking that and thus I need an overhead bin. E+ doesn't get you priority boarding, so I browsed around and bingo I added PB to my resvn. for $9 each way. Very happy. Went to do the same on my wife's reservation but it's not displayed as an available add-on. So y'all can take some comfort that there seems to be some limits to how many people can purchase priority boarding on a given flight. Safe travels!
I wouldn't bother paying for priority boarding for your wife. Just say she is with you when you board together. Families and companions always board together with the pax who has the highest boarding status.
drewguy likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Originally Posted by 000derek
Sorry if the upper elites don't like it, but I have taken advantage.!
I don't mind the concept that much. The airlines are selling everything else!

I just do not like where the rumor says that this purchase will put the flyer in group 2 - which is by most accounts, already over crowded.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:22 pm

There is a consensus on this thread (and this forum in general) that BG2 is full because of credit card holders. Couldn't it also be full because elites who post here fly on elite-heavy flights, and elite-heavy flights have a lot of Golds/Silvers?

Does anyone have any actual data or reliable anecdotes of what percentage of BG2 is elite vs. CC vs. purchased? Convince me this isn't an imaginary boogey-man.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
I wouldn't bother paying for priority boarding for your wife. Just say she is with you when you board together. Families and companions always board together with the pax who has the highest boarding status.
I hope this is never the case on the pay for priority.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
I hope this is never the case on the pay for priority.
Doubt there will a way for the agent at the scanner to know otherwise.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I suspect UA will have to map out some sort of new scheme to police this. Today's approach of YMMV and 'agents mostly saying nothing under most circumstances' is incompatible with charging for priority boarding. You've also got your agents who allow alternate priority (i.e. if you're wearing a Chicago team hat, you board ahead of GS at DEN). They'd have to put a stop to those shenanigans .
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Sure there is - wouldn't the BP say *G/*S or not? Or do CC holders not have anything on the BP? Or the BP could have a mark that it's paid priority and no tag-ons.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Nice devaluation to the FF program.

When boarding order has been discussed previously on FT the issue of contractual obligation to the CC companies has arisen and how Delta got around it. Doubt UA will do anything though.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Canadian Cow said
"I boarded one United (Express) flight with a cane. I was group 1, so I didn't really feel bad about using the "privilege", as it only bought me enough time to get to my seat before all the quicker young'uns could scurry past me. I'm not sure I had perfected walking with it before I gave it up though. It's hard to recall a better travel experience than with that cane. For that one flight, I think I was offered a wheelchair 4 times, by staff from two airlines, one airport, and one CBSA officer.[/QUOTE]

Over the years I have seen so many pre-board with nothing more than a knee brace. It bothers me. I really did pretty much do in my knee when I was a college student and while most don't even notice it I deal with some pain, a half inch difference in the length of my legs but I just wait and board with my group.. 1 or 2 depending. The whole flying thing today is encouraging me to just stop flying all together.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, IHG Ambassador
FWIW, I recently booked an award ticket using my miles for my daughter and they didn't offer Premier Access for purchase, just Priority Boarding. On my most recent trip with connections through ORD and EWR, the Group 2 lines did seem longer than usual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.